Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
If he is running for Congress or President....Yep we should see his. And that goes for me too.
But why? What makes it our business just because they run for, or are in, public office?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politicians are citizens...who are applying for a job which requires the utmost in trust and honor. If they don't like the conditions for application, they are free to work elsewhere.
I guess I missed that. Where is the condition stated?

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, he's no different than a politician (ideally).

And let's not forget to audit Nancy Pelosi and all the rich Democrats, too.

Ah, the implied threat. Frankly I would be most interested in the returns of the people I am actually considering supporting.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Residential Bob

Dec 24, 2018
Ormond Beach
✟18,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politicians are citizens...who are applying for a job which requires the utmost in trust and honor. If they don't like the conditions for application, they are free to work elsewhere.
Utmost trust and honor? Like bankers and teachers? Doctors?

Or does no one else hold positions of trust and honor?

And here's a newsflash: tax audits are not conditions of their positions.

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
But why? What makes it our business just because they run for, or are in, public office?
I guess a lesson in civics is necessary. These are people who will hold absolute control of both the nation and its citizens. They will be deciding the direction our lives will take.

And we are expected to decide which of the people presented to us we want to do that job. We should have the best factual information we can get about them before we vote. Tax returns which the people know will be audited provide as factual information we can hope to get.

If they don't like the requirements for the job they don't have to apply.

Upvote 0

Residential Bob

Dec 24, 2018
Ormond Beach
✟18,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I guess a lesson in civics is necessary. These are people who will hold absolute control of both the nation and its citizens. They will be deciding the direction our lives will take.

And we are expected to decide which of the people presented to us we want to do that job. We should have the best factual information we can get about them before we vote. Tax returns which the people know will be audited provide as factual information we can hope to get.

If they don't like the requirements for the job they don't have to apply.
They do not assume absolute control of the nation and its citizens.

Civics 101.

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
(staff edit)
Then it is an empty threat. -You- may feel threatened to have your favorite candidate's tax returns made public, but I look forward to it. If my candidate doesn't pass muster, -I- want to know about BEFORE I vote, not after they take office.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
In the case of someone new to government and running for office, I see this as a dangerous precedent. The obstacles to running for office are already daunting, so that many a good public servant has been dissuaded from running. I can see it if done voluntarily, if by popular demand there is significant reason to question finances.

But in the case of people who have been in Congress for many years, even decades, and live high in opulent mansions, some kind of public review of their financial condition might be in order. It's not hard to imagine the resistance that idea would have, even by those who most loudly call for it from others.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Should we see yours as well?
Sure, although I'm not in high public office. But okay, I'll make that deal. Public access to all tax returns. No exceptions, no executive privilege. No nothing. Just transparency.

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
They do not assume absolute control of the nation and its citizens.

Civics 101.

Yeah, actually they do. Look around you right now. The people who make laws control the nation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Sure, although I'm not in high public office. But okay, I'll make that deal. Public access to all tax returns. No exceptions, no executive privilege. No nothing. Just transparency.

If one has to make a deal with devil, that isn't a terribly bad one.

Upvote 0

Residential Bob

Dec 24, 2018
Ormond Beach
✟18,113.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Then it is an empty threat. -You- may feel threatened to have your favorite candidate's tax returns made public, but I look forward to it. If my candidate doesn't pass muster, -I- want to know about BEFORE I vote, not after they take office.
I would not look forward to dividing my country into classes.

I'd rather the people develop their own classes. I rather prefer freedom.

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I would not look forward to dividing my country into classes.

I'd rather the people develop their own classes. I rather prefer freedom.
What classes? Its a job application. We can set the conditions for a job application. I hear in the private sector, some people making job applications are required to give away the passwords to their social accounts.

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GlabrousDory4

Dec 27, 2018
Seattle
✟30,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
For what purpose do we need to see them?

Since legislators and executives control policy we need to know any conflicts of interest.

One of the things that I dislike most about Nancy Pelosi is that she was able to make use of a legal loop hole that allowed her to trade some credit card company stock at about the same time as the House was considering legislation on credit cards.

Let's stop making our government a way to enrich the rich.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What classes? Its a job application. We can set the conditions for a job application. I hear in the private sector, some people making job applications are required to give away the passwords to their social accounts.
I heard that in the private sector, some people are required to give away their urine.

• Winner
Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

GlabrousDory4

Dec 27, 2018
Seattle
✟30,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Shouldn’t we just let the IRS audit them every year? I’m sure if there’s something illegal, it will be found.

That's a good alternative. But it would be a specialized sub-set of audits to ensure that there is no conflict of interest (as opposed to just auditing to ensure they pay the right amount).

Upvote 0

zephcom

Jul 9, 2017
Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I heard that in the private sector, some people are required to give away their urine.
Yep. We live in a world which makes all sorts of demands on us for the privilege of acquiring jobs.

The people who apply to us to run the nation should expect their returns...and now that I think of it...the results of their annual audit as part of that application.

Upvote 0