loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A big chunk of Trump’s 1776 report appears lifted from an author’s prior work
President Donald Trump’s 1776 Commission was supposed to be the definitive “patriotic” rejoinder to the academic left for what conservatives view as a slanderous rendering of U.S. history. But the report released by the commission on Monday has been mocked by historians as slapdash and slanted. And a good chunk appears lifted or recycled from other publications.
tulc(thought this was interesting)

• Informative
Reactions: Jamsie

RestoreTheJoy

Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟450,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Um, are you under the delusion that politicians research and write all of their own speeches, doing first person research work (what, time travel?)?

Their speech WRITERS read historic works and pick out illustrations they like and include them in speeches that the candidate reads.

A former speechwriter failed to attribute that section: "Now a senior fellow at the conservative Texas Public Policy Foundation, Lindsay was one of 16 conservative academics tasked by the Trump administration to help craft the 1776 Commission report. And nearly the entirety of page 39 and page 40 of that report lifts from his 2008 article without attribution in an effort to offer prompts for teachers “to encourage civics discussion among students.” Correction required.

By sharp contrast, Harris actually stole and used several times an illustration from an 1965 MLK interview with Alex Haley, about a little 7 year old girl who wanted "Fweedom". However, she was a baby when this rally even happened.

But as she "reimagined" the story, telling Jimmy Fallon: “Well I was in a stroller,” Harris began while laughing, “I was in a stroller, and um. So I was out there. And in fact, my mother used to have a very funny story about how I was fussing and she said ‘Kamala what do you want,’ and I said, and this is how she would say it, and she said ‘Kamala what do you want,’ and I said ‘Fweedom.'”

Uh huh. Sure, that happened. She was born in October 1964. Harris 'Fweedom' Story Appears Plagiarized From MLK Playboy Interview · The Floridian

She had previously trotted this lie out multiple times (see here): "My mother used to laugh when she told the story about a time I was fussing as a toddler: She leaned down to me and asked, ‘Kamala, what’s wrong? What do you want?’ And I wailed back, ‘Fweedom,'” Harris wrote in her 2010 book “Smart on Crime” as well as also detailing her child self demanding “Fweedom!” in her 2019 book “The Truths We Hold: An American Journey.”

Biden failed in previous runs for the President due to multiple plagiarism charges. So don't even... with that blatantly ridiculous hypocrisy, comparing a presidential speechwriter's oversight in attribution to multiple outright lies.

You'll have to pick another topic to complain about. Though I really don't even know why you are complaining: the plagiarists have just been sworn in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(snip)A speechwriter failed to attribute that section: "Now a senior fellow at the conservative Texas Public Policy Foundation, Lindsay was one of 16 conservative academics tasked by the Trump administration to help craft the 1776 Commission report. And nearly the entirety of page 39 and page 40 of that report lifts from his 2008 article without attribution in an effort to offer prompts for teachers “to encourage civics discussion among students.” Correction required.
...I went a head and removed everything in your post that didn't address the OP. So...thanks for agreeing that what the OP said was true.
tulc(appreciates when people agree with him) :oldthumbsup:

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought this part of the article was pretty interesting:
The sourcing of the report’s material has come under scrutiny. Courtney Thompson, an assistant professor at Mississippi State University, ran the 1776 Report through TurnItIn, a plagiarism detection service used primarily by universities and colleges, and claimed that 26 percent of the content had been lifted in various ways from other sources without citing other sources.
tulc(is going to need more coffee soon)

• Agree
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,730.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
  • Winner
Reactions: creslaw
Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess since Biden does it all the time, it wouldn't be an issue for Trump to do it on occasion.
...You might want to discuss that with Restore the joy they said:
Um, are you under the delusion that politicians research and write all of their own speeches, doing first person research work (what, time travel?)?
so I'm not sure what President Biden would have to do with this subject. But if you'd like to discuss President Biden? You might want to start another thread, this thread is about what's in the OP.
tulc(is always amazed at how eager some people are to discuss President Biden in threads not actually about President Biden)

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟450,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
...I went a head and removed everything in your post that didn't address the OP. So...thanks for agreeing that what the OP said was true.
tulc(appreciates when people agree with him) :oldthumbsup:
Missing entirely the point, I see.

For you to feign indignation at a speechwriter for Trump failing to include attribution for a section of the speech (which definitely should be corrected) when known, defiant plagiarists like Harris and Biden have just been elected to power with your approval renders your feigned indignation moot.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Missing entirely the point, I see.
Or I didn't "miss it" at all, it just wasn't what the thread was about. and the thread isn't about me.
For you to feign indignation (snip)
...how did "interested" become "indignant"? :scratch:
tulc(is sort of curious)

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
A lot of plagiarism accusations seem like cheap shots. Speeches aren't academic documents, full of footnotes. On the other hand, this report might be. If so, it would need to follow academic standards. One of the accusations seems to be that someone used their own previous work. That seems pretty weak. But the real problem with the 1776 report is its content.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RestoreTheJoy

Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟450,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Or I didn't "miss it" at all, it just wasn't what the thread was about. and the thread isn't about me.

...how did "interested" become "indignant"? :scratch:
tulc(is sort of curious)
You are not listening. And you are not addressing my (or really anyone's) points, so I'm not really sure why you post at all. Perhaps you just want to hear yourself.

You are ignoring more profound hypocrisies of plagiarism in the same arena merely because those were perpetrated by those with whom you agree.

If in your mind, a former presidential speech writer's failure to attribute a section of a speech read by Trump is a greater violation than the current actual President's and Vice President's past and ongoing documented history of personally-stolen and misused plagiarism, then there is really no correcting that level of blindness.

Do you know how many times Harris trotted out that false "FWEEDOM" story during the campaign and even in her BOOKS, that involved a different, older little 7 or 8 year old girl at an MLK rally when Harris was actually just an infant?

So yeah...going to call out THAT level of hypocrisy all day long. Perhaps you will eventually evolve to the point where you refrain from mocking and minimizing any responses calling out discrepancies in your emoticon-riddled posts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are not listening and you are not addressing my (or really anyone's) points, so I'm not really sure why you post at all.
I post things I find interesting so when you want to discuss the things in the OP I'm interested.

Perhaps you just want to hear yourself.
See above.
For example: after removing all the things in this section of your post that aren't about what's contained in the OP we're left with this
You are ignoring (snip)
My thought is, if those are the things you'd like to discuss, why don't you simply start another thread about them? this thread is about what's in the OP.

So yeah...going to call out THAT level of hypocrisy all day long.
...I'm a little curious why you appear to think sticking to the subject of a thread is to be considered hypocrisy. I consider it merely being polite.

Perhaps you will eventually evolve
Well, I'm going to have to point out that I'm probably not going to change my long standing policy of sticking to the subject of an OP. So you're probably going to have to get used to that.

to the point where you refrain from mocking and minimizing
I'm honestly sorry if I hurt your feelings by pointing out that a thread is supposed to be about what's in the OP. I thought people already knew that.

any responses calling out discrepancies (snip)
Wouldn't someone have to point out any discrepancies first? Because so far no one has, they've tried to make the thread about other things than what's in the OP but no one's pointed out anything wrong in the OP.
tulc(just thought that should be pointed out)

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A lot of plagiarism accusations seem like cheap shots. Speeches aren't academic documents, full of footnotes. On the other hand, this report might be. If so, it would need to follow academic standards. One of the accusations seems to be that someone used their own previous work. That seems pretty weak. But the real problem with the 1776 report is its content.

I haven't read it so could you tell me what is wrong with the content?

Upvote 0