A beer prophet?

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Since some denominations use hynotic worship that basically makes people act like they're drunk, is it okay to start selling beer at church?

Mic 2:11 If a man walking in the spirit and falsehood do lie, saying, I will prophesy unto thee of wine and of strong drink; he shall even be the prophet of this people.

Discuss.

Ttalkkugjil

Social Pastor
Mar 6, 2019
Suwon
✟34,572.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
If a person walking in falsehood and vanity, in preaching their opinion, lies, saying, "I'll prophesy to you of this life's enjoyment," they'll meet with the approval of leaders and those who desire a cover for their wealth.

Sounds like the health and wealth gospel to me.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Its is saying, if a man comes to you drunk and says he is full of the spirit he is a liar.

that's the definition of what scripture you posted.
I always took it to mean that if a man entered a bar and said "I prophesy unto you beer and vodka" then this would be the prophet of this people.

• Agree
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
If a person walking in falsehood and vanity, in preaching their opinion, lies, saying, "I'll prophesy to you of this life's enjoyment," they'll meet with the approval of leaders and those who desire a cover for their wealth.

Sounds like the health and wealth gospel to me.
so do you think in the next stage of this marketing campaign, does liquor sales seem to be the next logical step?

• Agree
Reactions: Ttalkkugjil
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Not a good track record for that sort of thing:

Woe to the majestic crown of Ephraim’s drunkards, to the fading flower of his glorious splendor, set on the summit above the fertile valley, the pride of those overcome by wine. Behold, the Lord has a strong and mighty one. Like a hailstorm or destructive tempest, like a driving rain or flooding downpour, He will smash it to the ground. (Isaiah 28:1-2)
Try reading the rest of this passage, these prophets and priests are drunk when they should be working. The prophets finds them somewhere they have been binge drinking, the scene is described as, to put it mildly, nasty.

These also stagger from wine and stumble from strong drink: Priests and prophets reel from strong drink and are befuddled by wine. They stumble because of strong drink, muddled in their visions and stumbling in their judgments. (Isaiah 28:7)
At a glance, sounds like a profoundly bad idea.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Woe to the majestic crown of Ephraim’s drunkards, to the fading flower of his glorious splendor, set on the summit above the fertile valley, the pride of those overcome by wine. Behold, the Lord has a strong and mighty one. Like a hailstorm or destructive tempest, like a driving rain or flooding downpour, He will smash it to the ground. (Isaiah 28:1-2)
Try reading the rest of this passage, these prophets and priests are drunk when they should be working. The prophets finds them somewhere they have been binge drinking, the scene is described as, to put it mildly, nasty.

These also stagger from wine and stumble from strong drink: Priests and prophets reel from strong drink and are befuddled by wine. They stumble because of strong drink, muddled in their visions and stumbling in their judgments. (Isaiah 28:7)
I would agree.

From my perspective, it may seem far off, but maybe it isn't too far until each sermon has the obligatory "hard saying" that leads to people needing some strong drink to accompany it.

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
I always took it to mean that if a man entered a bar and said "I prophesy unto you beer and vodka" then this would be the prophet of this people.

When you read the whole message you start to understand the whole meaning, plus in the translations it means exactly what I let you know brother.

Basically it is saying there are a lot of people who are prophets of sin to there own people.

Upvote 0

Mathetes66

Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Drunkards will not enter the kingdom of God. Repent & believe the gospel of the kingdom of God.

I Corinthians 6:9-11 Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who submit to or perform homosexual acts, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor DRUNKARDS, nor verbal abusers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

And that is what some of you WERE. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified, in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ & by the Spirit of our God.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Me thinks of Milwaukee, I confess.

The Beautiful History of Catholicism and Beer

4 American Catholic Beers You Need to Try – EpicPew

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
~~~ Benjamin Franklin

"Here’s to a long life and a merry one. A fair love and a true one. A quick death and an easy one. A cold beer and another one."
~~~ William Sands

Upvote 0