• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

Discussion in 'The Box Office' started by FireDragon76, Dec 5, 2019.

1. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 "Excuse me... what does God need with a starship?" Supporter

+10,427
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    I just returned from watching this film. I am surprised there is so little discussion on this website. Mr. Rogers was after all one of the most well-known Protestant ministers ever.

Tom Hanks did a great job portraying Fred Rogers. However, I felt that trying to fit such a complex character into a Hollywood drama is a difficult task, and the film occasionally risks portraying Mr. Rogers as subtlely moralistic or intrusive, lacking a healthy sense of boundaries. Or perhaps there is that side to Mr. Rogers I haven't considered before.

Either way, this film was unsettling in that way. I also think the film tends to take the absolute value of forgiveness as a given, rather than realizing that not everybody has Christian assumptions about it's necessity- some of us are capable of realizing that life is very complicated and even people with the best of intentions will not be able to tie up all the loose ends in their life. In this way, there is a sentimentalism to this film I don't find as appealing as actually watching an old episode of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Rene Loup

Rene Loup A saved wolf among sheep. Supporter

+12,982
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    Mr. Dress-Up for life.

3. public hermit

public hermit Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,908
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    "What is essential is invisible to the eye." Fred Rogers
    I love this man. This clip is so relevant today.

4. RDKirk

RDKirk Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner Supporter

+11,262
    Christian
    Married
    The reporter the movie was based on (it is the reporter's story, not Rogers' story) endorses the movie as a true representation of Rogers' effect on his life.