A $500 million replica of the original Titanic could set sail across the Atlantic in 2022

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
"Nearly 110 years after the Titanic sank to the floor of the Atlantic Ocean, an Australian shipping company plans on to inaugurate Titanic II on a trip across the Atlantic Ocean in 2022 via the same route the original Titanic took.

USA TODAY reports Palmer has finalized the $500 million dollar project and Titantic II is set to make its two-week maiden voyage in 2022.

"The ship will follow the original journey, carrying passengers from Southampton to New York, but she will also circumnavigate the globe, inspiring and enchanting people while attracting unrivaled attention, intrigue and mystery in every port she visits," the Blue Star Line's chairman Clive Palmer said, according to Time Magazine."

Does the world really need another Titanic? The article says the Titanic II will have the same 1st, 2nd, and 3rd class accommodations as the original ship. Weren't 3rd class passengers assigned to window-less barracks-like rooms with multiple bunk beds? They weren't even allowed on the same outside decks as 1st and 2nd class passengers. The fares would have to really, really cheap for anyone to travel like that these days.

A $500 million replica of the original Titanic could set sail across the Atlantic in 2022

Reactions: Halbhh

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ah, will they take the most direct, northern route even if bergs are reported, and go full speed, to make record time? How about turn off the radar? You want to get that more-alike situation, eh? but I suppose the hull might be unalike. perhaps the bulkheads will go to a true water seal all the way up. Don't have to feel like you're endangering yourself so much.

Wouldn't it be funny though if they recreated the original lifeboat configuration! Just to give a little thrill to the passengers. Before a person asks if there are inflatables, they could wonder a minute. :)

"Nearly 110 years after the Titanic sank to the floor of the Atlantic Ocean, an Australian shipping company plans on to inaugurate Titanic II on a trip across the Atlantic Ocean in 2022 via the same route the original Titanic took.

USA TODAY reports Palmer has finalized the $500 million dollar project and Titantic II is set to make its two-week maiden voyage in 2022.

"The ship will follow the original journey, carrying passengers from Southampton to New York, but she will also circumnavigate the globe, inspiring and enchanting people while attracting unrivaled attention, intrigue and mystery in every port she visits," the Blue Star Line's chairman Clive Palmer said, according to Time Magazine."

Does the world really need another Titanic? The article says the Titanic II will have the same 1st, 2nd, and 3rd class accommodations as the original ship. Weren't 3rd class passengers assigned to window-less barracks-like rooms with multiple bunk beds? They weren't even allowed on the same outside decks as 1st and 2nd class passengers. The fares would have to really, really cheap for anyone to travel like that these days.

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟485,192.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

There's no way I would buy a ticket for a voyage on the Titantic.

• Agree
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,110.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

You would be well advised not to hold your breath until this project is completed (or, possibly, until it's actually started). Palmer is known for his 'eccentricity' and has had a somewhat chequered career in business and Australian politics.

I'll believe it when I see it.
OB

• Agree
Reactions: Kerensa
Upvote 0

Kerensa

Apr 20, 2017
Kent
✟103,391.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This Palmer bloke has been in and out of the news for years in Australia (that's where I'm from too) with this Titanic replica project and other oddball proposals. None of it ever seems to get anywhere, despite multiple promises. The article is dead right, anyway, that the third class accommodation was in windowless rooms with multiple bunk beds — I've seen a replica at a museum exhibition. Others have pointed out that it would be impossible to recreate the Titanic's interiors without falling foul of modern fire safety regulations (too many flammable wooden fittings). Or that the Titanic's 1912-style luxury was actually nothing compared to today's top-of-the-range cruise ships. Apart from that, yes, there's the element of sheer bad taste. But I agree with Occam's Barber — I'll believe it when I see it too.

(Besides, the last time this story went around about Palmer planning to build a replica Titanic, I remember some wit responded that he'd better hope no-one's planning to build a replica iceberg. :D )

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟990,110.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Allegedly it started in 2012, ready to set sail in 2016: Billionaire to build Titanic II

This time around, it's even less believable.

There is an interesting comment thread on the Deltamarin website: Deltamarin continues work on Titanic II - Deltamarin Ltd

Thanks Rad. I've been to the Deltamarin website but I missed the comments and the laughably non-committal answers. I'm surprised they were silly enough to leave them there.

Also looked at the Blue Star Line website earlier. It' pretty much a shell with little content apart from the press releases, an FAQ of sorts and a little promo video. Can find little else on the Blue Star Line - no sign of other ships of the line or any indication of shipping activity. Suspect that Blue Star is little more than Clive and a couple of nominal 'directors'.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next move is a public appeal for 'investors'.
OB

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
On the bright side, there's probably a lot fewer icebergs to worry about nowadays.
It's unpredictable season to season, but...keep in mind plenty come off glaciers, such as from Greenland, and those are flowing out faster than back in the early 20th, see. I bet they could even try to slide against one if they wanted, lol.

• Informative
Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,769.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the meantime, a group is making a computer simulation of the Titanic that looks very good, for the purpose of ultimately making a computer game. You can download a current version of their work on the ship and "walk around" it.

Upvote 0