provincial
✟762,313.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Luke 13:26-28, "Then you will begin to say, ‘We ate and drank in your presence, and you taught in our streets.’ But he will reply, ‘I don’t know where you come from! Go away from me, all you evildoers!’ There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth when you see Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and all the prophets in the kingdom of God but you yourselves thrown out."

This is referring only to the Jews to whom Christ was talking. Jesus clearly wasn't speaking about to or about Gentiles.

That's interesting. I don't know if I can totally believe that, but it's interesting nonetheless. Thank you

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Can't help that the whole Bible is about following the will of God or perish. I have no idea where I'll stand but it's up to Him and not me.

The Bible is about a lot more than "following the will of God or perish". It's more about God's redemptive plan for all who believe in the efficacy of the cross and accepting His grace and the promise of eternal life.

If you truly think that the whole Bible is about following the will of God or perish, might I suggest re-reading it?

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,313.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Luke 13:26-28, "Then you will begin to say, ‘We ate and drank in your presence, and you taught in our streets.’ But he will reply, ‘I don’t know where you come from! Go away from me, all you evildoers!’ There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth when you see Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and all the prophets in the kingdom of God but you yourselves thrown out."

This is referring only to the Jews to whom Christ was talking. Jesus clearly wasn't speaking about to or about Gentiles.

The Jews He was speaking to wouldn't have been casting out demons in His name and/or doing mighty works in Christ's name though. That's the problem with what you're saying.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The Jews He was speaking to wouldn't have been casting out demons in His name and/or doing mighty works in Christ's name though. That's the problem with what you're saying.

Where does it say that the Jews He was speaking to wouldn't have been casting out demons and/or doing mighty works in His name? Right here: Matthew 7:22, "On that day, many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, didn’t we prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many powerful deeds in your name?

So why are you contradicting what the Bible clearly says?

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It's more about God's redemptive plan for all who believe in the efficacy of the cross and accepting His grace and the promise of eternal life.
Right.. for those who stop putting our will ahead of His. It's in Jesus' two commandments and the Lord's prayer if needed for a quick primer. He keeps saying it all through the bible and we keep refusing so we get to read about the consequences. Eve was the first to do it thus creating the original sin and we've happily carried on the tradition.

Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,313.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Where does it say that the Jews He was speaking to wouldn't have been casting out demons and/or doing mighty works in His name? Right here: Matthew 7:22, "On that day, many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, didn’t we prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many powerful deeds in your name?

So why are you contradicting what the Bible clearly says?

Most of the Jews in the gospels rejected Christ. Even so, if this is the case as you say, then why would Jesus tell them to depart? Surely if they were preaching and doing mighty works in His name they should have been saved because they would be calling on the name of the Lord, like Romans 10:13 says. Yet they are not saved. How come? Is there a two tiered system of salvation (one for the Jews and the other for Gentiles?)

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Right.. for those who stop putting our will ahead of His. It's in Jesus' two commandments and the Lord's prayer if needed for a quick primer. He keeps saying it all through the bible and we keep refusing so we get to read about the consequences. Eve was the first to do it thus creating the original sin and we've happily carried on the tradition.

Wrong. It's about God's Spirit working within us to guide us into all truth. Jesus' two commandments and the Lord's prayer were given to to those who weren't saved, not to Christians.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟887,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Romans 10:13
for “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” (Thieves on crosses included)

““Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.’ “Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and yet it did not fall, for it had been founded on the rock. Everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not act on them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and it fell—and great was its fall.””
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭7:21-27‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
““Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.’ “Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine and acts on them, may be compared to a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and yet it did not fall, for it had been founded on the rock. Everyone who hears these words of Mine and does not act on them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand. The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and slammed against that house; and it fell—and great was its fall.””
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭7:21-27‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

Jews have to follow the Law; Christians do not. What else is new?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟887,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jews have to follow the Law; Christians do not. What else is new?

The passage is about doing the will of God not keeping the Mosaic law. It’s about hearing Christ’s words and acting on them, not just hearing and ignoring them.

• Agree
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟571,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can I get an Amen?!

(Is anyone tired of reading posts like this?)

(Satire)

I think you forgot about the extra 25 nine's after that decimal point.

(Satire)

• Haha
Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The passage is about doing the will of God not keeping the Mosaic law. It’s about hearing Christ’s words and acting on them, not just hearing and ignoring them.

To whom was it said? Matthew's gospel recounts Jesus preaching to the Jews, not to the church.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟887,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To whom was it said? Matthew's gospel recounts Jesus preaching to the Jews, not to the church.

So only the Jews need to hear His words and act on them, not the church? I got news for you Jesus only preached to the Jews so if your going to ignore what He preached to the Jews then your going to ignore everything He said.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So only the Jews need to hear His words and act on them, not the church? I got news for you Jesus only preached to the Jews so if your going to ignore what He preached to the Jews then your going to ignore everything He said.

I don't understand that logic. Jesus spoke to whomever would listen to Him. Fortunately we have a good accounting of what He said.

The Jews were (and are) under the Mosaic law; Christians are under grace. Also, there is no "one size fits all". Jesus spoke a different message to His disciples than He did to the public.

I have revealed your name to the men you gave me out of the world. They belonged to you, and you gave them to me, and they have obeyed your word." John 17:6

Matthew 10:10-13, "Then the disciples came to him and said, “Why do you speak to them in parables?” He replied, “You have been given the opportunity to know the secrets of the kingdom of heaven, but they have not. For whoever has will be given more, and will have an abundance. But whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. For this reason I speak to them in parables: Although they see they do not see, and although they hear they do not hear nor do they understand."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟887,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't understand that logic. Jesus spoke to whomever would listen to Him. Fortunately we have a good accounting of what He said.

The Jews were (and are) under the Mosaic law; Christians are under grace. Also, there is no "one size fits all". Jesus spoke a different message to His disciples than He did to the public.

I have revealed your name to the men you gave me out of the world. They belonged to you, and you gave them to me, and they have obeyed your word." John 17:6

Matthew 10:10-13, "Then the disciples came to him and said, “Why do you speak to them in parables?” He replied, “You have been given the opportunity to know the secrets of the kingdom of heaven, but they have not. For whoever has will be given more, and will have an abundance. But whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken from him. For this reason I speak to them in parables: Although they see they do not see, and although they hear they do not hear nor do they understand."

That was Matthew 13:10. The apostles and Jesus’ disciples listened to what He had to say, they had ears to hear which is what Jesus was referring to in Matthew 13:10.

“He who has ears, let him hear.””
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭13:9‬ ‭NASB1995‬‬

That message was not exclusively for his disciples it was for anyone willing to hear what He had to say.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Samaritan woman by the well excluded.

• Agree
Upvote 0