Not open for further replies.

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Suggesting to SOMEONE else that its O.K to take a no to sex from a woman because she may not even know she really wants it is HIGHLY irresponsible..HIGHLY.

I don't like to see my name (or handle) in the same line with the word 'rape' in a forum like this. I don't think it is fair, based on what I said, to jump to such conclusions.

I didn't even talk about a scenario where my wife said, "no." If you will read carefully, you will see I was saying this was an advantage of someone having a 'my body is yours attitude' rather than 'my body is mine' attitude.

If you think, "my body is yours" of your spouse, then if he asks, you don't say "no." If you aren't in the mood, you share your feelings.

I don't force my wife. I don't have an argument where I pressure her. If I think she needs some sexual attention, I might talk her into having a massage and the during the process, she realizes that she needs it and she may ask or hint about wanting to make love to me. Of course, I'll comply. Or I may ask her if she is interested and she'll say 'yes.'

If my wife were to turn into some stern feminist with a chip on her shoulder and if I gently broached the topic of making love, and she screamed 'NO!, and no means no." If I offered a massage or offered to hold her and she said, "No--I know what that could lead to..." that could kill my plans for her for the evening, but we would both be shortchanged. I don't remember her ever doing that.

Wrong.
Not taking no for an answer at face value is what makes rape rape. Not needing or wanting your partner to be willing is what makes rape rape. I'm appalled that people think it's okay or cute to disrespect a wife's "no" or "take her" (yes that term was used earlier in the thread and it made me cringe) because the h really wants it or thinks she needs it despite what she says...because "women don't know what they need." Honestly.

I don't like my point in my post being associated with the 'take her' point of some other poster which I am not familiar with, but it doesn't sound good the way you describe it. It is pretty clear from my post that I am talking about 'seducing' or 'enticing' my wife into doing something good for her, not forcing her to do anything. Loving persuasion is not force.

Look at my post. When a wife feels her body is not her own, and leaves the door open for sex, that gives the husband the opportunity to persuade her to have sex when he perceives that she would benefit from it. What I was saying has nothing to do with marital rape, and if you'll read my argument, willingness (or willingness to be persuaded) is implied.

I can certainly appreciate why people are adamant against violence toward women, marital rape, and see it as a huge social concern. I am against men being violent toward women.

On the other hand, this trend toward having laws against 'marital rape' is disconcerting-- and I suspect a lot of men feel this way but don't want to speak up about it. The reason is it is so easy for a woman to accuse her husband of being a rapist and put this awful stigma on him. It could be used as a divorce strategy, where she could get a good settlement and the kids.

Our society is so messed up, it seems like fornication is being treated as the norm for how they design laws and marital sex is treated as secondary. If we really think about it, we've probably all had sex with our spouse without asking permission. One thing leads to another and there isn't that much talking. It's hard to talk and kiss at the same time. No one gave permission. No one said 'yes.' Or what if the wife said, 'no' but two hours later, the couple has had a heart-to-heart talk, and they start hugging, then kissing, the next thing you know, they are having sex. Both husband and wife are fine with this. The wife doesn't feel raped. The husband doesn't feel raped.

Five years later, there are some problems and the wife finds a lawyer. Maybe she gets a feminist friend, or a feminist lawyer. Let's say she hates her husband, and starts thinking about all their sexual interactions n the past. Lots of times, she didn't say 'yes.' She didn't sign a form in triplicate with carbon copies agreeing to all those sex acts. That one time, she even said 'no' two hours earlier, and somehow that jerk managed to get her in the bed. How dare he! All she needs is some really lose marital rape laws to really take that man to the cleaners and have him sent to jail. Of course, his reputation is ruined. He's considered to be a wife rapist, right down there with child molesters, wife beaters, and terrorists in our society.

I suppose the husband could argue that his wife 'raped' him all those times they kissed and he didn't say 'yes', too, but he wouldn't want all those people in the courtroom laughing at him.

I don't think marital rape should be handled under the same laws in society as regular rape with the same penalties, and given the damage it can do to a man's reputation, I would hope the burden of proof would be exceedingly high. In the Old Testament, rape of a married or a betrothed woman was a death penalty crime (assuming two or three reliable witnesses testify). I would be fine with having that be a law in our society. A man who raped an unbetrothed virgin had to marry her, pay the bride price for virgins and never divorce her. I assume the potential father-in-law had the potential to just take the money and not let him marry the daughter, comparing it to the case of seduction. There is no specific law in the Bible against raping one's wife. I suppose judges had the option of beating someone who had done something unloving or heinous with 40 stripes. While there is no specific law against it, there are general laws that apply. Men are told to love their wives as Christ loves the church and to honor their wives.

No means no, but it doesn't mean someone might not say 'yes' a little while later when the circumstances change. But my post wasn't even about that. It was a post about how it is important to have a 'my body is yours' attitude toward one's spouse to leave one's spouse an opportunity to convince one to partake of some 'due benevolence' when one needs it but doesn't realize it. There was no one saying 'no' in my story.

Upvote 0

FaithPrevails

May 7, 2006
Far, far away from here
✟18,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Probably because you have both been fortunate enough to not know the existence of having an UNloving husband and still feeling required to submit, respect, and give, give, give...bc after all, the Bible doesn't tell you to submit only if he's loving right? Do you see the problem here? It comes pretty easy most of the time when your h is loving. I know that bc I'm living it now. But I've also lived the reality of trying to force myself to play the perfect wife role when my h was not doing his part. Experience that (I hope you don't) and you might understand why others see the risk of becoming a doormat when you believe you always must put others' desires before your own...whether they are treating you right or not.

FWIW, I have experienced an UNloving husband that still expected me to submit, respect, and give, give give - and I got very little in return. Yet, my opinions on this topic were the same in that marriage as they are here in what I post in this thread and say about my husband and me now. I've been blessed with a wonderful, loving husband this time around - yes, it does make it easier. But, having an unloving husband who mistreated me didn't absolve me of my responsibility to be selfless and sacrificial towards him despite his inability to respond those ways towards me.

Reactions: JRSut1000
Upvote 0
H

hijklmnop

What I'm wondering about the "assuming the best" about people is......at what point does one spot negative beliefs? IOW....when does a person defined as "loving" become recognized as holding some beliefs that need some refining?

IMO....it's not such a great practice to lump everything together about a person and place a label on them: "this is a godly person" "this is a kind person" "this is a grumpy old man" "she is finicky and accusatory". IMO....it's WAY better to settle on specifics.

ITA...which is why I tried to be really clear about when I'm objecting to a POV or a belief...not the person who doesn't see a problem with that belief because it hasn't caused them any problems personally (yet). I know that some ppl get sick of hearing "worst-case" scenarios, but if you don't bother to see where certain lines of thinking can lead then how do you know where exactly to put the brakes on? Thinking too simplistically/legalistically can be quite dangerous IME. I grew up being taught that you do what's right, PERIOD. If you're a wife, for example, you submit to your husband PERIOD, because it doesn't say "only if he is loving." The pain that that rigid kind of thinking put me through is enough for me to have learned to probe all blanket statements for all possible truths and outcomes...not just to accept what SEEMS obvious, simple or good.

For example, someone's OP could be, "turn the other cheek is taught in the Bible. Do you agree?" Everyone could say, "Yes, of course, it's in the Bible, we are taught to put others before ourselves!" cheers and high fives...but then if someone says, "Hey wait, that shouldn't be preached as a blanket rule with zero qualifications bc what about this person, this relationship, this situation, etc? When do you draw the line?"...ppl get irritated by that. But I'm always conscious that ppl in all kinds of situations and from all walks of life read these discussions...and I think we should do our best to understand and explore all possibilities instead of just saying legalistically, "This is how it should be bc this verse and that verse!" without ppl getting completely annoyed at the prospect of digging deep into the intricacies and complexities that come with putting certain beliefs into practice. It just makes for a well rounded discussion IMO.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One poster posted about only 10% of women only experiencing 'the Big O' during intercourse. I posted saying maybe part of the lack of sexual intimacy was a lack of husband's skill. Another poster posted saying she didn't always have one when she did it, and another poster said she thought she always had to have one when there was inappropriate content in her marriage bed.

I apologize for my own comment. I should realize that people's experiences and bodies are different. If only 10% of women have them regularly during intercourse, it may not be because their husbands are at fault. People's bodies are different. So I apologize for my comment to all the men out there whose wives don't always have them every time and to the wives of those men.

Upvote 0

Psalm63

Dec 17, 2005
United States
✟2,864.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think LinkH should be associated with the idea of marital rape. His marriage seems to have mutuality

Originally posted by LinkH here
:thumbsup:
And, just to be really honest, I'm not sure a marriage before the 5 year mark is representative/realistic? I consider them "newlyweds". Things sizzled and there were not the same issues then.... eg I don't hear in those posts about a passel of children needing baths and getting up at 10,2, 4, and 6 to nurse, etc.

And TBH, it bothers me on this thread that I've seen no mature long married men say anything about unrealistic sexual expectations. To leave young people expecting its always going to be like the honeymoon/newlywed bliss kinda short changes them and sets them up for divorce when the bloom fades IMO
I've been married 11 years, which could be considered short by some people on the forum. I bathed two kids, and cut one kids hair and had him take a bath tonight while my wife was out praying for someone. I would think the newly-wed sizzle either wears off in the first pregnancy or goes out the door all of a sudden when that first baby is born. At least for a time. I wonder how many couples wait 5 years to have the first baby?

As far as unrealistic sex expectations are concerned, I think most young folks are under the impression that old folks don't have sex, and when the fact that they aren't immortal settles in in their 30's, and they do have to face child-rearing and busy schedules, sexual expectations get a little more realistic.

I just think if a married person isn't getting as much sex as he or she would like, it should be because of the exhaustion, emergencies, and busy-ness of life, and not because one partner doesn't want to satisfy the other's needs because he/she isn't 'in the mood'. Married people need to make one another's sexual needs a priority and arrange their schedules to make it possible

Upvote 0

His Wife

May 19, 2011
✟335.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know...our views seem to get consistently written off as "extreme" so others don't want to hear about them...but they're not extreme. This stuff is very real for many, many Christian marriages.

Yes it is. And it is incredibly serious and unfortunate.

But that doesn't mean those of us in healthy marriages need to be bombarded with statistics about it. It doesn't mean we are in any danger. It's almost like all this is meant to be a warning, like with the post about the wife who was found dead later. It's like, "Hey! This marriage seemed pretty good too. Next thing you know, your husband is gonna come out of the closet and beat you to death. Better watch out and not let him get too close, and you really shouldn't have sex unless you absolutely 100% are in the mood for it. His pursuing you could totally turn into marital rape, and then that could lead to him killing you."

That is exactly what all of this sounds like. No biblical support, just fear tactics.

I am really sorry for those who have been in/are currently in unhealthy marriages. I really am. I'll be praying for you and your spouses. Being in a healthy marriage that hasn't suffered from some traumatic turmoil is not a crime, it's a gift. I'm sorry that all of this seems so negative to some of you(to some it sounds like you don't even believe in marriage at all), but we really don't need warnings tossed around.

Upvote 0

His Wife

May 19, 2011
✟335.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
FWIW, I have experienced an UNloving husband that still expected me to submit, respect, and give, give give - and I got very little in return. Yet, my opinions on this topic were the same in that marriage as they are here in what I post in this thread and say about my husband and me now. I've been blessed with a wonderful, loving husband this time around - yes, it does make it easier. But, having an unloving husband who mistreated me didn't absolve me of my responsibility to be selfless and sacrificial towards him despite his inability to respond those ways towards me.

Worth repeating.

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't like to see my name (or handle) in the same line with the word 'rape' in a forum like this. I don't think it is fair, based on what I said, to jump to such conclusions.

In may not be fair..but its the truth..that line of thinking HAS led to women being raped.Im sorry thats the truth..and I am offended to see any such suggestions being made..I think that should be understandable that if you wish to make such statements thats where the thinking goes becasue thats how it happens.If anyone ever suggest that any man..knows better than any particular woman whether she needs sex or not..after she has expressed she DOES not then you are walking on thin ice .Period.. maybe not with your wife..but with anyone within earshot ..I for one find it highly offensive to even hear it..There are MANY women who have been sexually assaulted and in fact raped..that THAT line of thinking is how it ended up occuring..if you dont think thats 'fair' well I cant help it..Maybe that part of your sex life is a little TMI for some..it seems you should maybe be a little more sensitive..

Dallas

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have nothing against LinK..I think if he knows his wife that well that is actually awesome..that he might KNOW that she wants sex or "needs it' when she is sure she doesnt shows he is in tune with her..IN GENERAL its a bad idea to suggest..My husband better be prepared lets say to do 10-15 years in a Texas State prison if he ever thinks he knows better than I if I "need" sex when I say I dont..I happen to be perfectly in tune with my body and know better than he does when thats the case..

I dont like hearing it..at all ..I dont want my sons one is 15 one is 22 and the other will be 29...to hear a man say that some women (even if its just their wife) dont KNOW if they want sex or not ..so if she says "no" that he knows better than her..I dont think its a "good idea" to put that in mens heads..Because MOST women in fact DO know if they want sex or not..Its unusual that his wife doesnt and relys on his sort of "6th sense' about it..thats all..

Dallas

Upvote 0

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I thought women had 'female intuition', why can't men have a type of intuition too?

I know what you all are trying to say, I get it really I do. I see both sides of it. But for the sake of this conversation, it seems to have gotten out of hand on the 'rape' topic which by the way wasnt mentioned by LinkH at all.

Upvote 0

His Wife

May 19, 2011
✟335.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This conversation isn't even intelligible any longer. Such grand assumptions and conclusions are being made that are incredibly unjustifiable.

Anyway, JRSut, I agree with you completely, and with pobody and chaz, etc. And I conclude my participation in this thread with this:

If something has worked for you in your marriage and both your spouse and you are better for it, then I have no right to nitpick about the particulars I may or may not agree with. Have the common courtesy to apply the same to others. Just because you disagree with their beliefs doesn't mean they're wrong or dangerous, and please understand how offensive it is to be told that something you believe, others associate it with marital rape, prostitution, or any number of the ridiculous things mentioned in this thread. How would you feel if someone compared your beliefs to those things, especially when you, yourself, are disgusted by those things?

Reactions: FaithPrevails
Upvote 0

Psalm63

Dec 17, 2005
United States
✟2,864.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes it is. And it is incredibly serious and unfortunate.

But that doesn't mean those of us in healthy marriages need to be bombarded with statistics about it. It doesn't mean we are in any danger. It's almost like all this is meant to be a warning, like with the post about the wife who was found dead later. It's like, "Hey! This marriage seemed pretty good too. Next thing you know, your husband is gonna come out of the closet and beat you to death. Better watch out and not let him get too close, and you really shouldn't have sex unless you absolutely 100% are in the mood for it. His pursuing you could totally turn into marital rape, and then that could lead to him killing you."

That is exactly what all of this sounds like. No biblical support, just fear tactics.

I am really sorry for those who have been in/are currently in unhealthy marriages. I really am. I'll be praying for you and your spouses. Being in a healthy marriage that hasn't suffered from some traumatic turmoil is not a crime, it's a gift. I'm sorry that all of this seems so negative to some of you(to some it sounds like you don't even believe in marriage at all), but we really don't need warnings tossed around.

I posted a lot of biblical research. I will not repeat it. you can use your search button if you are so inclined. One passage is 1 Thes 4:3-8 look at several versions to get a good feel for it.

I would prefer that you and other posters NOT refer to MY marriage as an "unhealthy" marriage. Frankly, I fear for you doing that since it is a miraculous deliverance by the Holy Spirit which you are misrepresenting when you call my marriage "unhealthy". I don't want to speak for dallas and dreamer, but they have both testified of HEALING in their marriages.

Being in a formerly unhealthy marriage is a gift too. My relationship with God has become much deeper than it would have had my husband been there for me.

Upvote 0

His Wife

May 19, 2011
✟335.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I posted a lot of biblical research. I will not repeat it. you can use your search button if you are so inclined. One passage is 1 Thes 4:3-8 look at several versions to get a good feel for it.

I would prefer that you and other posters NOT refer to MY marriage as an "unhealthy" marriage.

Where did I mention you at all?

Psalm63 said:
Frankly, I fear for you doing that since it is a miraculous deliverance by the Holy Spirit which you are misrepresenting when you call my marriage "unhealthy". I don't want to speak for dallas and dreamer, but they have both testified of HEALING in their marriages.
Psalm63 said:
Being in a formerly unhealthy marriage is a gift too. My relationship with God has become much deeper than it would have had my husband been there for me.

And I mean no disrespect to what God has done in your marriage. But it would be nice if the, "Hey, your marriage could go south at any time" attitude was checked. Not saying you specifically have that attitude, just that's it's been the impression I've been getting since the thread split. And it's exhausting. Yeah, my marriage could go south. Who cares? I don't. My marriage is great right now. If I worried about every little thing that could happen, I'd never do anything in life. My beliefs are not dictated by what could happen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In may not be fair..but its the truth..that line of thinking HAS led to women being raped.Im sorry thats the truth..and I am offended to see any such suggestions being made..I think that should be understandable that if you wish to make such statements thats where the thinking goes becasue thats how it happens.If anyone ever suggest that any man..knows better than any particular woman whether she needs sex or not..after she has expressed she DOES not then you are walking on thin ice .Period.. maybe not with your wife..but with anyone within earshot ..I for one find it highly offensive to even hear it..There are MANY women who have been sexually assaulted and in fact raped..that THAT line of thinking is how it ended up occuring..if you dont think thats 'fair' well I cant help it..Maybe that part of your sex life is a little TMI for some..it seems you should maybe be a little more sensitive..

I can see how someone who had been raped had heard her rapist say that she didn't know she wanted it or needed it or whatever, that this could result in a knee-jerk reaction.

But with all the talk around here about the idea hinting that it is selfish to persuade one's spouse to have sex (or 'seduce' one's spouse), it is worth considering that a man might 'seduce' his wife when she might not otherwise care to think about sex because he has her best interest at heart.

No one is talking about forcing others. This is a benefit of having a marriage where you are careful not to throw the word 'no' around and leave the door open to the other partner because you take your responsibility to meet their sexual needs seriously.

Upvote 0

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Link, I think what the women are trying to say is that a lot of marriages do NOT function in the way yours done, so for them 'no' really does mean 'NO'. The attitude towards marriage and expectations and sacrifice/responsibility is at the core of how people will perceive what you've just said.

Upvote 0

dallasapple

Aug 13, 2006
✟13,920.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One poster posted about only 10% of women only experiencing 'the Big O' during intercourse. I posted saying maybe part of the lack of sexual intimacy was a lack of husband's skill. Another poster posted saying she didn't always have one when she did it, and another poster said she thought she always had to have one when there was inappropriate content in her marriage bed.

I apologize for my own comment. I should realize that people's experiences and bodies are different. If only 10% of women have them regularly during intercourse, it may not be because their husbands are at fault. People's bodies are different. So I apologize for my comment to all the men out there whose wives don't always have them every time and to the wives of those men.

As far as he 10% O thing?Its NORMAL for most women to NEED more than IC to achieve [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]..it doesnt mean the man is a poor lover..MOST women can not O by IC only stimulations ..she is not a failure and neither is he..her "spot" is there for a reason..ya know..the NOT vagina.LOL!..its supposed to be stimulated from the outside too..

Thare are many erogenous zones..for instance the nipple..there are SOME women (and men) that CAN [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] from only that beign stimulated..just becasue they CAN doesnt mean we ALL can ..or that we all SHOULD..

Most women in fact NEVER O from IC only.. 90% of women and thier lovers arent all doing it wrong..Even with women who have achieved it..even FEWER do so on any regular basis..you are talkign about the EXCEPTION not the rule...(not you LinK just in general)

Dallas

Upvote 0

His Wife

May 19, 2011
✟335.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can see how someone who had been raped had heard her rapist say that she didn't know she wanted it or needed it or whatever, that this could result in a knee-jerk reaction.

But with all the talk around here about the idea hinting that it is selfish to persuade one's spouse to have sex (or 'seduce' one's spouse), it is worth considering that a man might 'seduce' his wife when she might not otherwise care to think about sex because he has her best interest at heart.

No one is talking about forcing others. This is a benefit of having a marriage where you are careful not to throw the word 'no' around and leave the door open to the other partner because you take your responsibility to meet their sexual needs seriously.

I love it when my husband seduces me. I wish he'd do it more, honestly. So not every woman here believes seduction is wrong. :) I agree with what you've said.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.