Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There's still hope for the country folks check out this little stud.
M-Bob

A 9-year-old boy convinces Colorado town to lift ban on snowball fights
On Monday, the board for the town of Severance, Colorado, voted unanimously to lift a ban on snowballs, reports The Associated Press.
Dane Best, 9, argued having snowball fights gives kids a good reason to play outside, according to The Greeley Tribune.

"The children of Severance want the opportunity to have a snowball fight like the rest of the world," Best said during his three-minute presentation to the board, reports the Tribune.
The original town ordinance had classified snowballs as missiles, making them illegal to throw.

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Republicans have contacted this little gentleman and asked of him to start a --
Republican Elementary School Youth Party

Their main task will be taking on and abolishing stupid laws that are on the books.

M-Bob

Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟937,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This reminds me of a conversation I recently had with someone that emigrated to the United States. I had asked what was her biggest surprise about coming here. She said, "That you have rules and regulations about everything. I thought this was a free country. In many ways we were more free at home."

I found that thought-provoking.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
She said, "That you have rules and regulations about everything. I thought this was a free country. In many ways we were more free at home."

I found that thought-provoking.

Interesting comment coming from that lady.

And what side of the aisle is known for making more laws and regulations?

There is already talk on Fox news this morning regarding replacing Paul Ryan with this snowball fighting young man.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

sunshine100

Love God Love people
Site Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Florida
✟121,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
M-Bob

On Monday, the board for the town of Severance, Colorado, voted unanimously to lift a ban on snowballs, reports The Associated Press.
Dane Best, 9, argued having snowball fights gives kids a good reason to play outside, according to The Greeley Tribune.

"The children of Severance want the opportunity to have a snowball fight like the rest of the world," Best said during his three-minute presentation to the board, reports the Tribune.
The original town ordinance had classified snowballs as missiles, making them illegal to throw.
I saw that on the news,that was really great

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟937,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
...And what side of the aisle is known for making more laws and regulations?

M-Bob

I think both sides actually. It is an unintended consequence of our political system. We elect people who make their bones by introducing new legislation, which translates into new laws, regulations, etc. Maybe we'd be better off if we only convened congress every 10 years or so or called them to Washington, the statehouse, or the county council when we have some special problem to solve. Legislators gotta legislate.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,107,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
@Mountainmanbob, thanks for posting this. I really enjoyed it. Yup, there's hope.

The law that snowballs fell under was a century old law, what is sometimes called a blue law. It wasn't a law that was being upheld by anyone.
There are three more towns that have a similar old law.

The kids have been learning about these old laws from their mayor, Don McLeod, and he has been encouraging them to discuss the law, if it's needed, etc., and if not how to change it in a constructive way. Civics in the third grade. Pretty cool.

How a 9-year-old boy changed a century-old law prohibiting snowball fights in his small town

Upvote 0

John 1720

Harvest Worker
Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2013
Massachusetts
✟149,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
M-Bob

Personally, I think this action sets a rather cold and dangerous precedent. This is probably going to be a gateway to bigger issues, such as the proliferation of snow forts and silos. It could even be that the whole issue may completely snowball in the end. Be wary Severance darker days may be upon you! At least until January when they'll start to get a bit longer.
;)

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This reminds me of a conversation I recently had with someone that emigrated to the United States. I had asked what was her biggest surprise about coming here. She said, "That you have rules and regulations about everything. I thought this was a free country. In many ways we were more free at home."I found that thought-provoking.

In a few ways, perhaps. But those few freedoms cost individuals and sometimes society. Did you ask her why she chooses the US to live in?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟937,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In a few ways, perhaps. But those few freedoms cost individuals and sometimes society. Did you ask her why she chooses the US to live in?

Not what you might think. She was born into an affluent family on a Caribbean island. She ran away from home to escape an alcoholic, abusive family. She left a life of affluence to live what became near poverty in our country. But she was safe from just own family.

Upvote 0