Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Personality books were mentioned on another thread and I thought this would be fun for us. I'm including links for the Myers-Briggs and Enneagram along with a helpful resource. Share your results!

Myers-Briggs
Enneagram Test (Type preference and Dominant type with wing are best to start with)
Enneagram Descriptions (includes compatibility with other types)

The Enneagram is pretty meaningless in my opinion.

Myers-Briggs or the very similar Keirsey test seem to work and produce all kinds of insights, but they work best for people who are "extreme" and not quite so well for people who are "middle of the road" on the four scales.

Upvote 0

Artra

The unforgivable sin is not repenting
Jan 31, 2019
United States
✟13,245.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When I last typed a few years ago I got INFP and I believe a 4w5 enneagram. That might've changed with time.

If you want to delve for insight through these tests, just remember that the cognitive functions are a series of spectrums and not several black-and-white switches like the labels suggest. That and they never define you; only you do that :)

Upvote 0

Artra

The unforgivable sin is not repenting
Jan 31, 2019
United States
✟13,245.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Of course not. We're more complex than that. The tests reveal our personality traits. Some things shift and others remain the same. :)
Oh yeah I only said it for any younger people here or anyone unfamiliar with the personality tests. The types themselves are fine but many of the descriptions of the types you find online are pretty much interpretations that border on stereotypes. Not everyone will match those description exactly, and I don't want anyone to feel like they're being pigeonholed or have to fulfill those descriptions somehow when they take them.

I remember reading that some people speculate (and take this with a huge grain of salt) that Jesus might've been an INFJ. That's the rarest type. It's also considered the type of Adolf Hitler, which shows how divorced morality can be from the typing if that's accurate.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow, where skies are blue
Visit site
✟159,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Mine are INFP and 5w6.
I’ve taken tests/quizzes in the past, and went beyond them to type myself after learning how each of those work.

As far as stereotypes go they can get pretty weird especially when they are made up not even examining what those type system are actually measuring.
For example both systems sometimes stereotype beliefs and character in different types. But that isn’t actually what is being measured in either.
I tend to relate to most INFP descriptions, but I know that isn’t true of everyone who is an INFP.

But, one thing I think is ridiculous is trying to use those personality types as sign of if a relationship is a “match” or not. However, I do think they are good tools for learning more about others and improving communication and understanding among people. MBTI tends to be a more useful tool because it is much more straightforward in typing than the Enneagram is. I personally found the Enneagram useful in understanding some things about myself. And it added a few things that the MBTI was lacking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Visit site
✟159,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
It's funny, the Enneagram helped me understand someone I was acquainted with. He was an 8 and I'd guess an 8w7 in fact. The moment I read the description I knew it was him! His need for control was a constant that differed from my desire to control certain situations. That led to power struggles.

Learning about the Enneagram also helped me understand some people I know. Particularly a few people who seem to closely match the descriptions of motivation and behavior. I don't really know if that is their type but it matched very well with what I learned about the particular type.

I went so far as to type some characters in a book I've been writing since I was a teenager. My main character is INTJ, enneagram type 3.... :D

Have you heard about the theory of tritype within Enneagram?

The MBTI is the outer me. That's what most encounter. But privately and within my inner circle you'll see the Achiever up close. I'm softer, more relaxed, and my sense of humor comes out.
I suppose that is true for me as well. But the fact that I am an introvert may effect what people actually know about me. I have no idea how apparent either type of mine is to anyone else.

Steryotypes would say being a pragmatic INFP isn't possible... but that's not quite true. But that makes surface typing difficult.
I have read it argued that no one can really type Enneagram except the person themselves, because it is so much more internal than what MBTI measures. I think I agree with that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The types themselves are fine but many of the descriptions of the types you find online are pretty much interpretations that border on stereotypes.

For people who come out extreme on all 4 Myers-Briggs axes, those stereotypes fit very well indeed. For people with intermediate scores, not so much.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I went so far as to type some characters in a book I've been writing since I was a teenager.

You've mentioned that before, iirc. It sounds like a great way to make your characters consistent.

Steryotypes would say being a pragmatic INFP isn't possible... but that's not quite true. But that makes surface typing difficult.

The MBTI essentially measures preferences. People can develop strong skill sets that run counter to type. I've met INFPs that were really good at dealing with groups of people, for example (although they got very tired doing it).

• Agree
Reactions: kittysbecute
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I used to be an INTJ but God swapped that. ;-)

Or are you an INTJ that's really good at the people stuff?

After a long day dealing with lots of people, do you (a) read a book on your own, or (b) go to a party so that you can continue the high?

Upvote 0

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Visit site
✟159,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
No way!! An introverted 3? Say it ain't so. ~lol
I used to be an INTJ but God swapped that. ;-)
I suppose the idea of a 3 from how I understand it doesn't seem too stereotypically introverted. :D But an introvert can be just as concerned with being awesome and seen as awesome as an extrovert. :D
Also... it is a fictional character... so I may have typed her wrong even. I just thought it was funny that the character was developed enough where I could even go so far as to type her.

Yes, have you done it?
Yeah, I have figured my tritype is 5w6, 4w5, 9w1 or 5w6, 4, 9w1.
Have you figured what yours is?

The first time I read my description I laughed. It was so true I couldn't stop laughing. I think the possibility of marriage pushes my wing to 2. But if I remain single it will probably move to 4.
That's always nice when something is so relatable. I have felt that way about many INFP descriptions.

The MBTI essentially measures preferences. People can develop strong skill sets that run counter to type. I've met INFPs that were really good at dealing with groups of people, for example (although they got very tired doing it).
We can be who we want to be and do what we want, regardless of what mbti type! My best friend is an ISFP, and I used to think she was an ESFP before I understood what introversion and extroversion actually was. It is one of those things that isn't always obvious.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My "I" was never introverted as in "I don't like crowds" it was selectivity. I was very cliquish. That's what the Lord changed. I was polite in the past and adoring to my friends. Now I'm friendly and adoring.

Praise God! :clap:

• Haha
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.