8 forms of Prayer... do you know what they are?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Appeal for divine response

#1 asking [greek word... aiteo] john 16:3

definition .....A known object is requested from the Father by the believer for himself in the character of Christ

#2 intercession [enteuxis] 1 tim 4:5, 2:1

definition .....A believer-priest communicates on behalf of a person or thing before the Father for known reasons

#3 Supplication [deasis] phil 4:6, 1tim 2:1

definition ....The believer cries out to the Father for help for himself or others with some unknown factors involved whether a need or an object

Appreciation for God

#1 Thanksgiving [eucharistia] 1 thes 5:18, eph 5:20

definition ......An expression of appreciation to God for graciously provided benefits past , present and future ...good and bad circumstances

#2 Praise [ainesis] Hebrews 13:15

definition ..... An expression of appreciation for the character of God manifested in the provision of a benifit

#3 worship [proseuchomai] 1thes 5:17, eph 6:18

definition ..........Communication that repeats back to God that which He has said about Himself giving Him His whole weight of glory

Agreement with God about sin

#1 Confession [homologeo] 1 john 1:9

definition .....The believer says the same thing God does agreeing with God concerning his acts of sin calling them sin.

Anticipation of keeping a commitment

#1 VOW [euche] james 5:15

definition ...... Abeliever makes a promise to the Father to do something the Holy Spirit has prompted his heart to do it if it possible for him to do it

White Rabbit

God forgives, and I forgive.
May 25, 2004
✟8,387.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
There should be only 1 form of prayer: this is from Matthew 6:7-13 7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

9“This, then, is how you should pray: “ ‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, 10your kingdom come, your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven. 11Give us today our daily bread. 12Forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors. 13And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one

Upvote 0
White Rabbit said:
There should be only 1 form of prayer: this is from Matthew 6:7-13 7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

9“This, then, is how you should pray: “ ‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, 10your kingdom come, your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven. 11Give us today our daily bread. 12Forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors. 13And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one

Yet in james it says different

James 1:2 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into various temptations.

why.....

1 cor 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

So if brethren is the church in these two passages what has God done differently than those in Matt.

lets go to Matt again...

Matt 2:2 Jesus born king of the Jews..... us eph 5:26-32 we are the bride
differents look at ester 4:11 about king

Matt 5:3 poor in spirit ....us John 4:24, phil 4:19

Matt 5:5 meek for they shall inherit the earth ...... us Hebrews 8.6; 11:40

Matt 5:10 for theirs is the kingdom of heaven...us John 3:3,5 ,luke 17:20-21

Matt 6:9 Our father, which art in heaven
Matt 6:10 Thy [Father] kingdom come

this is to the Jews we as the Church/bride are promised to Christ

In Matt the church is Not existant

Gentiles were considered eph 2:11-12 prior to the cross

1 cor 10:32 three different groups Jews, Gentiles, and the church of God

Gal 3:28 their is either Jew or Gentile, Male or female ye are all one in Christ

In rev 2:9 Gentiles are taking Jewish promises and saying they are theirs and God calls the synagogue of satan....

hopefully you use these verses to change your mind about this verse in Matt

peace be in Christ

Upvote 0

White Rabbit

May 25, 2004
✟8,387.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
A Brethren IN CHRIST said:

why.....

1 cor 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

So if brethren is the church in these two passages what has God done differently than those in Matt.

lets go to Matt again...

Gal 3:28 their is either Jew or Gentile, Male or female ye are all one in Christ

In rev 2:9 Gentiles are taking Jewish promises and saying they are theirs and God calls the synagogue of satan....

peace be in Christ

In Matthew there was Jesus... and that verse was said by Jesus... so is James more right than Jesus? I doubt it. And where did Jews come in to this discussion? :scratch:

Upvote 0
White Rabbit said:
None of that has anything to do with praying...

When God tell you how to pray ....does one listen

when God tell one group to do it this way and another a different way .......
do you listen

and when one shows you in the bible with verses that the Father prayer is not for us it for the Jews ...do you listen

If you are going to ignore me ...fine I am just a man...
If you are going to ignore the bible.....you have problems

Upvote 0

White Rabbit

May 25, 2004
✟8,387.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
When God tell you how to pray ....does one listen

when God tell one group to do it this way and another a different way .......
do you listen

and when one shows you in the bible with verses that the Father prayer is not for us it for the Jews ...do you listen

If you are going to ignore me ...fine I am just a man...
If you are going to ignore the bible.....you have problems

I don't ignore the Bible. And where does it say that is only for Jews? I feel it makes it very clear that that's how we should pray.

Upvote 0

daveleau

In all you do, do it for Christ and w/ Him in mind
Apr 12, 2004
Bossier City, LA (removed from his native South C
✟22,974.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The examples of prayer (of which there are many) always include worship (thanksgiving). Prayer should be in your own words and from your heart. This is what is meant when it talks of not babbling like pagans. Don't say what you don't mean and don't go on just to sound high and mighty. We should always begin with thanks and praise (worship), must always be respectful (God is not on our level or even close- He is incomparably higher than us) and must always be open to His will, not ours (we must never treat God as our slave by assuming our will is to be done but ask that His will is done). Remember that God will ALWAYS answer your prayers. The answer may not be to your liking because you do not know the future as He does. And the answer may not be on your timetable. His plan is not dictated by our impatience. The divisions of prayer are interesting, but the bigger issue is to take into account these principles from the examples given of prayers throughout the Bible. They all have a common thread and all are worshipful.

Upvote 0

why.....

lets go to Matt again...

peace be in Christ

did rabbit read

Upvote 0

daveleau

In all you do, do it for Christ and w/ Him in mind
Apr 12, 2004
Bossier City, LA (removed from his native South C
✟22,974.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
^Mod hat on^
Remember that we need to treat each other with civility. When we correct another, we need to do it with love, not contempt for someone else's ideas. When disagreeing, we need to keep Christ's example in mind and be kind. I have seen several posts in this thread that do not exhibit this.

Thank you,
daveleau
^Mod hat off^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
White Rabbit said:
In Matthew there was Jesus... and that verse was said by Jesus... so is James more right than Jesus? I doubt it. And where did Jews come in to this discussion? :scratch:

2 peter 1:19-21 holy men moved by the holy Spirit

is not..... Jesus , the Holy spirit, and the Father one God???

and they moved men to write the bible for the church.....

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.