700,000 people could lose food stamps under Trump administration's new SNAP rules

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trump food stamps: Administration tightens SNAP work requirements
In a move that will knock hundreds of thousands of people off the federal food stamp rolls, the Trump administration on Wednesday formally tightened work requirements for the program that helps feed more than 36 million Americans.

Eligibility for food stamps, known as Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, is based on a formula that takes into consideration family size, citizenship status, household income and certain expenses. It can apply to individuals as well as families.

The new rule, which was finalized by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, restricts states from exempting certain "work-eligible adults" without dependents from the steady employment requirement in order to receive SNAP benefits.
tulc(just in time to make Christmas a little bit brighter for all those who face getting kicked off) :sigh:

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
See if this helps:
Happy Holidays: The Trump Admin Is Trying to Kick Millions Off of Food Stamps
Naturally, the people implementing these changes have tried to dress them up as care for underprivileged individuals who can’t afford the luxury of three meals a day. “Americans are generous people who believe it is their responsibility to help their fellow citizens when they encounter a difficult stretch,” Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue told reporters. “This is about restoring the original intent of food stamps...moving more able-bodied Americans to self-sufficiency.”

Strangely, though, critics aren’t buying it. “It is deeply disappointing that despite overwhelming opposition to this proposal, the White House has finalized a rule that stiffens work requirements for millions of SNAP participants, which will likely lead to hundreds of thousands of people losing their benefits,” Lisa Davis, Share Our Strength’s senior vice president, told the Post. Stacy Dean, vice president of food assistance policy for the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, said that the new rule makes it much more difficult for states that experience high unemployment to qualify for waivers during national recessions, which, y’know, might be a time that food stamps would come in handy for some people. “That change really weakens SNAP’s ability to assist the unemployed during an economic downturn,” she said.

Even many Republican lawmakers, who typically back the administration and appreciate policies whose underlying message is get a job, you bums!, didn’t support it—47 senators from both parties told the administration it should withdraw the rule, according to Debbie Stabenow, the ranking member on the Senate Agriculture Committee. “This is an unacceptable escalation of the administration’s war on working families, and it comes during a time when too many are forced to stretch already-thin budgets to make ends meet. The USDA is the Grinch that stole Christmas,” said Ohio rep. Marcia Fudge, chair of the House Agriculture Subcommittee on Nutrition, Oversight, and Department Operations. “Shame on them.”
Think of this as "Yeah, we want to kick a LOT of people off SNAP but when we tried to do it a couple of years ago people got all upset. so instead, we'll start here and later we'll start kicking a bunch of other groups off, you know "For their own good" of course." This is just one more Republican "Welfare Queen" dog whistle. :sigh:
tulc(hopes that helps) :wave:

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sure, because people who don't have children deserve to go hungry when they fall on hard times.
nope if they are following the rules of working or volunteering the minimum time they still qualify.

Upvote 0

AvisG

Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2019
West
✟23,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I live in a neighborhood that appears to be Food Stamp Heaven - actually, Every Conceivable Government Benefit Heaven. I am surrounded by entirely able-bodied, mentally competent white and Hispanic adults who have somehow scammed the system into believing they are unable to perform any useful work. I've been watching this scam for 23 years. When my wife arrived from Russia 11 years ago, she immediately asked "How come no one goes to work in the morning except you?"

Worse yet, this I'm Never Going to Work mentality perpetuates itself generation after generation: Somehow Mom and Dad skated through life on nothing but Government Benefits, so that's going to be my career path, too.

There is a monthly food giveaway at a Native American mission on the reservation about 30 miles away. It's obviously intended for Native American families, some of whom actually are quite poor. The folks in my neighborhood, who are already receiving Every Conceivable Government Benefit, raid it, too, coming back with so much more than they need that they walk around the neighborhood handing out $40 cuts of meat. It's insane.

Trump should cut EVERYONE off of Food Stamps and start over, with serious rules and discussions as to "Who really needs this?" Then do the same with every other out-of-control program.

Oh, as a lawyer, a short but detestable part of my career was as an assistant attorney general, (theoretically) collecting child support from (theoretically) deadbeat dads. Another lawyer said on my first day, "You're about to see a segment of society you never even knew EXISTED." Bingo - a scam from top to bottom. I ended up with no more sympathy for the women who churned out 6 babies with 6 fathers, for the sole purpose of collecting Aid to Families with Dependent Children (mostly to be used to buy drugs), than I did for the deadbeat dads.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Can you explain what this means?
The new rule, which was finalized by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, restricts states from exempting certain "work-eligible adults" without dependents from the steady employment requirement in order to receive SNAP benefits.
It means the system of the beast is insidiously growing to encompass all, as it has been for a few hundred years, and soon, well, this year, it will be even worse.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
How terrible for those able bodied adults that have no one depending upon them!
Can you explain what this means?
It means that in a time of full employment, these benefits ought to be used for people who have real need.

It should also be understood that the number of people on food stamps ballooned under Obama and the 700,000 people said likely to lose that benefit under the new rule amounts to reducing the total number of people on food stamps back to only where it was several years ago--not anywhere near to where it was a decade ago when the upward surge started.

It is also acknowledged by liberals that this will save money for other needs. A few months ago the complaining was that the national debt was continuing to climb and that something should be done about it!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It means that in a time of full employment, these benefits ought to be used for people who have real need.

It should also be understood that the number of people on food stamps ballooned under Obama and the 700,000 people said likely to lose that benefit under the new rule amounts to reducing the total number of people on food stamps back to only where it was several years ago--not anywhere near to where it was a decade ago when the upward surge started.

It is also acknowledged by liberals that this will save money for other needs. A few months ago the complaining was that the national debt was continuing to climb and that something should be done about it!
There are guidelines for this and since it is a "Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program", I would hope we as Christians would not want to deny anyone food. Food is not negotiable IMO.
Be blessed.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There are guidelines for this and since it is a "Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program", I would hope we as Christians would not want to deny anyone food. Food is not negotiable IMO.
Be blessed.
Then you can be at ease concerning the new policy.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What exactly is the change?

That food stamps have increased now the economy has improved a bit could be several reasons. More families had to buy health care they couldn't really afford with insurance raising and pay not, which would leave less money for food in some families or individuals. And even if the recession has started to roll back country-wide where it wasn't as federally announced, it did not evenly cease in all areas equally. Some areas were slower to recover, which would explain more dependence on food stamps in those areas. I tend to think of people having more need for them - not assuming higher food stamp usage means more people were thinking of ways to scam the government. That's not my first assumption because I've been on the receiving end as have some of my friends, and all for legitimate reasons.

These guidelines to reduce food stamps are only giving in more to the public mindset that most people who need assistance are doing it out of laziness or fraud, which is a shame. Of course there are always scammers, but the department already regulates this stuff pretty strictly from what I've seen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What exactly is the change? I'll admit I have been on food stamps twice. Once when the recession hit and I lost my job of four years, apartment, and car broke at the time - went 9 months without much food or applying for aid before moving back in with parents, where my mother had a bad gambling addiction and I ended up getting on food stamps temporarily while job hunting to curb some health side effects I was having from loss of weight and digestive issues, which was not easy to do.
Roughly speaking, it modestly tightens the requirements for receiving food stamps. This follows a vast expansion of the program under Obama. The new rules only reduce the number of recipients to what it was several years ago and nowhere near where the figure was eight or so years ago.

The people affected by the new rules are able-bodied people without families in areas where the economy is near "Full Employment" levels. If the economy falls below that in one's locale, a waiver can be obtained.

• Informative
Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I went to the government's website, and read it.

It's not that unreasonable.

Under long-standing rules, adults ages 18 to 49 who are "work eligible" and have no dependents can receive only three months of SNAP benefits during a three-year period if they do not meet the 20-hour-a-week work requirement.

States with high unemployment rates or a demonstrable lack of sufficient jobs, however, can waive those time limits.

So, in areas where the employment rates show there are jobs to be had? You need to work 20 hours to get your SNAP benefits. Otherwise if not, they extend the SNAP benefits.

Then you see this comment from the article:

Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer of New York said Wednesday that the new rule "would potentially throw hundreds of thousands off food assistance, driving the vulnerable into hunger just as the Christmas season begins."

Yet, the change doesn't begin until April. Since when is April the Christmas season? That's 4 months past the 'Christmas Season" has ended. Either he didn't read the announcement (which I don't believe), or he is being melodramatic for political reasons. I mean the man does know that April isn't the Christmas season right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Be blessed.

This particular Christian seemed to disagree.
2 Thessalonians 3:10
New International Version
For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat."

• Agree
Reactions: Semper-Fi
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Yes
and it is VERY important to notice that word UNWILLING not UNABLE
, and perhaps also to note that 700,000 children may die in the next twenty days (or seven weeks?) world wide due to starvation or lack of water.
Almost no one in the USA dies thru lack of food stamps.

Reactions: Mayflower1
Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Be blessed.
These things should be handled at the state level. Programs like this are not enumerated in the federal Constitution, and so DC is exercising a power it does not have

Upvote 0