Texas
✟62,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Now you are a WINNER! I have boxes of stuff but no car.
Some places will pick up stuff for free. Around here the Salvation Army picks up donations for free. Goodwill picks up in some areas. We have a local mission store that picks up for free. You might check what's in your area, make a few calls and ask if they have free pickup. Some thrift stores or resale shops might also do so. Just need to make sure it's free and if they'll take what you have.

Oh, and another tip? When someone asks if you want something they don't need anymore, or says they want you to have such and such, just say no! You just end up with some more clutter you don't need and that they were too lazy to get rid of any other way.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟62,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This is true. Yet in some cases we think what we collect is an indication of our character, or a record of our life. That will be tested if the descendants move in one of those refuse bins for a quick clean up
There were several things I collected years ago. One day I looked at stuff sitting on the shelves and asked myself why, packed it all up and gave it away. Now I have dust-free shelves where I can keep a few extra books. I'm not concerned about leaving a record of my life behind, when I'm gone I'm gone, at least in the earthly sense. ;)

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What is Firefox and VPN? I don't understand tech.
Firefox was/is a free web browser that was very popular at one time which was open source, meaning that the code wasn't proprietary. Anyone could contribute to its improvement. VPN is a virtual, or simulated point of origin. It enables a person to appear as if they are located somewhere else on the planet. very beneficial for those living under tyranny.

Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
I'm giving up flower gardening and gift buying. Everyone gets $5.00. I don't have to shop for so many relatives, get bombarded with shipping boxes, have to wrap gifts, etc. Do you have suggestions on how to simplify our lives further?
I'm early seventies and now have a small garden which is all I feel I can manage - mainly it's troughs, tubs and hanging baskets. It's paved and cobbled so no lawn to mow, which is a job I hated doing (my husband never liked gardening).

Now don't tell anyone but I haven't ironed the sheets for years! I live alone these days so nobody notices. Also I'd love to give up dusting and hoovering but somehow I don't think that's going to happen. :D I live in a smaller house than when I was married which is easier to look after.

I love having a TV and, like you, feel connected to the world and find it useful for news etc. I also enjoy entertainment, as long as it's suitable for a Christian to watch. I love light (non gritty) mystery dramas and the more wholesome costume dramas (e.g. Downton Abbey), as well as a few quizzes (the history questions are getting much easier as sometimes I can remember the events!), cooking and home buying programmes.

I nearly always buy presents online for anyone not local and get it gift wrapped and sent to them. Also I no longer drive, but thankfully the Lord has moved me to a house where I can walk into the town centre which has almost everything I need and the groceries I get delivered. So no more car servicing, MOT tests etc.

So I don't know if I have any more suggestions. It seems like you've got it covered Rescued One. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm early seventies and now have a small garden which is all I feel I can manage - mainly it's troughs, tubs and hanging baskets. It's paved and cobbled so no lawn to mow, which is a job I hated doing (my husband never liked gardening).

Now don't tell anyone but I haven't ironed the sheets for years! I live alone these days so nobody notices. Also I'd love to give up dusting and hoovering but somehow I don't think that's going to happen. :D I live in a smaller house than when I was married which is easier to look after.

I love having a TV and, like you, feel connected to the world and find it useful for news etc. I also enjoy entertainment, as long as it's suitable for a Christian to watch. I love light (non gritty) mystery dramas and the more wholesome costume dramas (e.g. Downton Abbey), as well as a few quizzes (the history questions are getting much easier as sometimes I can remember the events!), cooking and home buying programmes.

I nearly always buy presents online for anyone not local and get it gift wrapped and sent to them. Also I no longer drive, but thankfully the Lord has moved me to a house where I can walk into the town centre which has almost everything I need and the groceries I get delivered. So no more car servicing, MOT tests etc.

So I don't know if I have any more suggestions. It seems like you've got it covered Rescued One. :)
This is the kind of answer I was seeking. Thank you. I wish I lived closer to downtown. I usualy have groceries delivered but seniors can get transportation for groceries and medical.

Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Indeed. I refuse to use Amazon. The way that company treats its workers, makes Walmart appear very noble.
Well, if people need things, Amazon carries it. Where else can they order?

Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟62,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Well, if people need things, Amazon carries it. Where else can they order?
There are various other places to order online, but nothing with all that Amazon offers. I order from Amazon, often through the various small business storefronts there. I use their free shipping and usually get what I need within 3-4 days.

I also began ordering pick-up from WM during the first year of Covid, and still do occasionally. We actually live within walking distance of WM if we want to cross a busy parkway, and are within a few blocks of a good grocery store also in walking distance, so if push comes to shove we can do that. There are some in the neighborhood that do.

Wish we lived closer to church, it's about three miles away, but there's a CofC a few blocks up that we can go to if it comes to that.

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
This is the kind of answer I was seeking. Thank you. I wish I lived closer to downtown. I usualy have groceries delivered but seniors can get transportation for groceries and medical.
What a pity you are not nearer downtown. Can your family take you? I forgot about medication - I get that delivered too, although it's not too far to go to pick it up and the pharmacy is open late.

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
There are various other places to order online, but nothing with all that Amazon offers. I order from Amazon, often through the various small business storefronts there. I use their free shipping and usually get what I need within 3-4 days.

I also began ordering pick-up from WM during the first year of Covid, and still do occasionally. We actually live within walking distance of WM if we want to cross a busy parkway, and are within a few blocks of a good grocery store also in walking distance, so if push comes to shove we can do that. There are some in the neighborhood that do.

Wish we lived closer to church, it's about three miles away, but there's a CofC a few blocks up that we can go to if it comes to that.
I order from Amazon too. I'm in the UK so obviously I use that but I have ordered some Gaither Vocal Band DVDs from the USA store when they've not been available here. I find that a really good service.
Indeed. I refuse to use Amazon. The way that company treats its workers, makes Walmart appear very noble.
I've heard that they are not very good to their employees. I hope that the bad publicity makes them change. However if we stopped using them wouldn't that put their workers out of a job, and hurt the very people we want to help?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
I've never heard of Opera.
Well, I would have said that it was a staged drama, usually set in the 1700s or 1800s, with flamboyant costumes and beautiful singing, especiallyy when performed by Andrea Bocelli, but I think the under-70s use the term for something else! :D
What is Firefox and VPN? I don't understand tech.
Nor me. I found this on the internet. It's done by Shirley Serban (who's a Generation X) but it features her mother who is our sort of age. (Actually her parents were Christian Missionaries.) Shirley re-lyrics well known songs usually in a funny way. She did it to help us get through Covid. Someone (I think it was Joymercy) posted her Bohemian Catsody on GE and I put Help on one of your threads. Check Shirley out if you want some laughs! :D

Not that I'd want to put you off getting a laptop or smart phone. Now I have mine I really appreciate them, but how I wish they would come with instructions - in paper form!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I order from Amazon too. I'm in the UK so obviously I use that but I have ordered some Gaither Vocal Band DVDs from the USA store when they've not been available here. I find that a really good service.

I've heard that they are not very good to their employees. I hope that the bad publicity makes them change. However if we stopped using them wouldn't that put their workers out of a job, and hurt the very people we want to help?
There is no perfect solution. My understanding on the matter is that Amazon allegedly fires their drivers instead of giving them pay raises. The first hint that a driver may want a raise, management finds an excuse to fire him/her. Thus, Amazon cycles through workers like they are disposable wipes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
There is no perfect solution. My understanding on the matter is that Amazon allegedly fires their drivers instead of giving them pay raises. The first hint that a driver may want a raise, management finds an excuse to fire him/her. Thus, Amazon cycles through workers like they are disposable wipes.
That's appalling and surely illegal!

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Well, I would have said that it was a staged drama, usually set in the 1700s or 1800s, with flamboyant costumes and beautiful singing, especiallyy when performed by Andrea Bocelli, but I think the under-70s use the term for something else! :D
I've attended an opera in Germany, but it had nothing to do with computers.

My husband had a laptop and I HATED it. I bought a smart phone and got rid of it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I use Walmart for many deliveries. They are trying to compete with Amazon in providing delivery services. If Walmart doesn't stock an item, they'll forward the request to a partner business that does. I haven't had any issues with several items I've purchased through their website.

Yes, Walmart has a reputation for not paying the help, but, they just increased their minimum wage for their employees. My understanding is that they are one of the largest private employers in the State of Virginia.
As of 2018:

Upvote 0