Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I'm giving up flower gardening and gift buying. Everyone gets $5.00. I don't have to shop for so many relatives, get bombarded with shipping boxes, have to wrap gifts, etc. Do you have suggestions on how to simplify our lives further?

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can have all of that from a laptop or a cell phone and with adblockers none of the annoying ads.
I use Opera as my web browser and with the right addons I avoid all annoying popups along with the garbage that sites add on the edges of pages. (Yes, this site too).

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,292.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm giving up flower gardening and gift buying. Everyone gets $5.00. I don't have to shop for so many relatives, get bombarded with shipping boxes, have to wrap gifts, etc. Do you have suggestions on how to simplify our lives further?
I gave up gift buying looong ago!^_^ I never did flower gardening. When I had children at home, I really enjoyed gift wrapping.

• Agree
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You can have all of that from a laptop or a cell phone and with adblockers none of the annoying ads.
I use Opera as my web browser and with the right addons I avoid all annoying popups along with the garbage that sites add on the edges of pages. (Yes, this site too).
Are you sure you're over 70 years old? I can't afford a lap top or smart phone. I was talking about commercials on TV. I've never heard of Opera.

Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Are you serious? I'd have no life, no contact with humans, nothing. As it is, my phone calls are short: transportation and medical. Don't you people have any hobbies you're giving up? Or are you younger than mid-seventies?

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,292.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Are you serious? I'd have no life, no contact with humans, nothing. As it is, my phone calls are short: transportation and medical. Don't you people have any hobbies you're giving up? Or are you younger than mid-seventies?
Yes, I am younger than mid seventies. You have a computer and you have conversations on this forum. That is contact with humans. Here we have an OAC(Older American Center) where older people meet to play cards,Bingo, and to fellowship with other older people. They will even pick people up. Maybe you can look into it to see if there is one in your area. You could make new friends that will call just to check on you.

Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you sure you're over 70 years old? I can't afford a lap top or smart phone. I was talking about commercials on TV. I've never heard of Opera.
I'm actually 65. Opera is a free web browser which in my view, has replaced what firefox was at one time. Free VPN too, if you're into that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,292.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So how are you on this forum?

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,106.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm actually 65. Opera is a free web browser which in my view, has replaced what firefox was at one time. Free VPN too, if you're into that.
Brave removes ads and does not track your movements

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟62,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My husband just turned 70, does that count? ;) I still have a couple years to go.

My main hobby is gardening so I could never give that up. It gives me time to meditate and to enjoy nature, which I think is important. It helps keep the world at bay. I also enjoy watching and feeding the birds. As for gift buying, we haven't done that in about twenty years. It's more wasteful than not. If someone wants or needs something they know what it is and can get it themselves!

How to make life simpler? Get rid of stuff you don't need. I've currently got half a dozen boxes sitting around that I'm filling and several already in the car to take to Goodwill or some place similar. Less stuff, less to think about, less clutter. My cabinets are getting empty. My thought is the less we have, the happier we are.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,106.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
My thought is the less we have, the happier we are.
This is true. Yet in some cases we think what we collect is an indication of our character, or a record of our life. That will be tested if the descendants move in one of those refuse bins for a quick clean up

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
My husband just turned 70, does that count? ;) I still have a couple years to go.

My main hobby is gardening so I could never give that up. It gives me time to meditate and to enjoy nature, which I think is important. It helps keep the world at bay. I also enjoy watching and feeding the birds. As for gift buying, we haven't done that in about twenty years. It's more wasteful than not. If someone wants or needs something they know what it is and can get it themselves!
Children can't get it themselves.:) The youngest isn't two. But I said I'm going to give 5 dollars. I don't have the energy to garden anymore and I have trouble sleeping at night. I like birds and have watched them for years, too.

How to make life simpler? Get rid of stuff you don't need. I've currently got half a dozen boxes sitting around that I'm filling and several already in the car to take to Goodwill or some place similar. Less stuff, less to think about, less clutter. My cabinets are getting empty. My thought is the less we have, the happier we are.
Now you are a WINNER! I have boxes of stuff but no car.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
What is Firefox and VPN? I don't understand tech.

Upvote 0