Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Some quick stats:
1673540905204.png

The infographic shows that the Pit Bull is still responsible for the most fatal attacks in the U.S. by far, killing 284 people over that 13-year period - 66 percent of total fatalities. That's despite the breed accounting for just 6.5% of the total U.S. dog population.

Is it time for more localities to start following the example of the cities that have already either banned (or put strict ownership requirements and rules in place for) owning this specific breed?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Blade

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟47,893.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since the American Bulldog can be classified as a pit bull, but here is listed separately, I question the classifications given above. There's also the question of the numbers of each breed. But perhaps the biggest question in my mind is that I know of two fatal maulings and neither involved pit bulls. That doesn't mean pit bulls are not involved in maulings, but it does raise questions.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Since the American Bulldog can be classified as a pit bull, but here is listed separately, I question the classifications given above. There's also the question of the numbers of each breed. But perhaps the biggest question in my mind is that I know of two fatal maulings and neither involved pit bulls. That doesn't mean pit bulls are not involved in maulings, but it does raise questions.
I'm sure everyone has anecdotal of instances they know involving maulings by other breeds, and I'm sure everyone knows of a pit bull that's friendly.

But in terms of the overall data....

There's numerous aggregated data points from different sources that all indicate that they're uniquely dangerous (as a whole) compared to every other breed.

You look at just about any report from just about any source, and while there might be some slight nuance in the numbers, the general theme is the same and will generally be "they make up less than 10% of dogs in the US; they account over half of all fatal dog attacks"

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm sure everyone has anecdotal of instances they know involving maulings by other breeds, and I'm sure everyone knows of a pit bull that's friendly.

But in terms of the overall data....

There's numerous aggregated data points from different sources that all indicate that they're uniquely dangerous (as a whole) compared to every other breed.

You look at just about any report from just about any source, and while there might be some slight nuance in the numbers, the general theme is the same and will generally be "they make up less than 10% of dogs in the US; they account over half of all fatal dog attacks"

"Systemic breedism" at work! ;)

Upvote 0