Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It is a truth universally acknowledged that few books are as beloved as Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, which was published on January 28, 1813. It appears on best-loved literature lists across the globe, is a fixture in high school classrooms, and has spawned a rabid fan base and countless film and television adaptations.

The story of how Miss Elizabeth Bennet’s disdain for the wealthy, prideful Fitzwilliam Darcy turned to love has never been out of print, and has sold more than 20 million copies since its first appearance more than 200 years ago. Austen’s family, however, probably didn’t see much of that success: She sold the novel’s copyright to her publisher for £110 (just over $10,000 in today's dollars) and died just a few years later, in 1817. Though the novel was reviewed positively and was well-received by the upper classes at the time, it was no widespread sensation. It wasn’t until the 20th century that the book and its author were rediscovered and lifted to the rarefied place in the English literature pantheon they hold today.

Since then, few books have been reinvented as much and as often as Pride and Prejudice: In addition to the straightforward adaptations for film, television, and stage, the story has been re-set in 20th century London (Bridget Jones’s Diary), in Bollywood (Bride and Prejudice), at a Mormon university (Pride and Prejudice: A Latter-Day Comedy), in modern-day Israel, around New York’s rock scene, during a zombie apocalypse, and put to music (Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice: A Musical).

The story has been re-told from Darcy’s perspective (Darcy’s Story), shifted to America (Darcy on the Hudson), and, of course, transformed into soft-core Regency-era erotica (Pride & Prejudice: Hidden Lusts; Pride and Prejudice: The Wild and Wanton Edition). It’s been expanded in hundreds of pieces of published fan fiction, from best-selling crime novelist P.D. James’ Death Comes To Pemberley to Mrs. Darcy Versus the Aliens, which is exactly what it sounds like. In 2009, Sir Elton John’s Rocket Pictures even talked about producing Pride and Predator, a mash-up pairing Regency England with the be-mandibled aliens of the Predator movies (regrettably, it never panned out).

But despite how beloved Pride and Prejudice is, there have been plenty of people who hated it. Here are seven of them.

1. CHARLOTTE BRONTË

Continued below.
7 People Who Hated Jane Austen's <em>Pride and Prejudice</em>

Reactions: Tone

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've never read the book but the recent movie version, starring Keira Knightley, is now my favorite movie and I watched it every time it plays. I'm sure I couldn't conjure the rich images presented in the movie by reading the book.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,380.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've never read the book but the recent movie version, starring Keira Knightley, is now my favorite movie and I watched it every time it plays. I'm sure I couldn't conjure the rich images presented in the movie by reading the book.
I’m not a big fan. But at least I’m in good company.

• Friendly
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

SuperCow

Site Supporter
Dec 14, 2018
Leonardtown, MD
✟198,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You should compare it to a Bollywood cinematic creation from India called "Bride and Prejudice". They modernized the story and turned it into a musical. (With a slightly more comedic feel to it.) Instead of class differences, it's more about subtle racial differences and stereotyping. (The male lead is English and the female lead is from India.)

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You should compare it to a Bollywood cinematic creation from India called "Bride and Prejudice". They modernized the story and turned it into a musical. (With a slightly more comedic feel to it.) Instead of class differences, it's more about subtle racial differences and stereotyping. (The male lead is English and the female lead is from India.)
I gave it about ten minutes. It didn't grab me, switched channels.

Upvote 0

SuperCow

Site Supporter
Dec 14, 2018
Leonardtown, MD
✟198,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟202,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I don't like the novel because its picture of romance is decidedly unrealistic. The more straight-forward guy who is honest about his romantic intentions gets more respect in my book than the manipulative Darcy.

First he is dismissive, then he ruins my sister's happiness, then he confronts me in private and asks me to marry him? Get lost, bucko. I don't care if you show me your beautiful estate afterward. Shoot straight or die lonely.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,380.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't like the novel because its picture of romance is decidedly unrealistic. The more straight-forward guy who is honest about his romantic intentions gets more respect in my book than the manipulative Darcy.

First he is dismissive, then he ruins my sister's happiness, then he confronts me in private and asks me to marry him? Get lost, bucko. I don't care if you show me your beautiful estate afterward. Shoot straight or die lonely.
Well it was all about money and status anyway. Sort of says it all. It’s a given the time we’re in now is different with more advantageous modes of operation for females but still, it’s very tedious and off putting to me. I do not understand the rabid Janites out there.. kind of the equivalent of Swifties to me today but with more avarice
and social climbing. Maybe a little less cultish that the Swifties. *shrug*

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums