היום כולם יודעים - הרב כהנא צדק
Dec 15, 2003
Visit site
✟32,660.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
A gunman infiltrated a Jewish seminary in Jerusalem and opened fire in a library Thursday night, killing at least seven people, officials said.

Rescue workers said at least 10 people were wounded. In Gaza, the Islamic militant Hamas praised the attack but stopped short of claiming responsibility. Thousands poured into the streets to celebrate, firing rifles in the air.

Story

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I fear the violent people of the Middle East will win, and bring the Gaza strip into war.(Israel and everyone else.)
Israel can't just sit around while its innocent people are killed, and rockets rain down their land.

Reactions: Talmidah
Upvote 0

IisJustMe

He rescued me because He delighted in me (Ps18:19)
Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am so broken hearted over this.
My prayers are with all the members of the seminary, their friends, their loved ones, their fellow citizens.
Amen. Nothing more to be said. Thanks, TS.

Upvote 0

revolutio

Apatheist Extraordinaire
Aug 3, 2003
R'lyeh
Visit site
✟6,762.00
Faith
Atheist
Absolutely. And who will the media and the left blame? Israel of course.
Are we starting the media conspiracy already? Can we just assume that the reporters of "the media and the left" aren't so heartless as to blame the victims of a terrorist attack for getting shot? You are insulting quite a few people with this.

Upvote 0

IisJustMe

Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Are we starting the media conspiracy already? Can we just assume that the reporters of "the media and the left" aren't so heartless as to blame the victims of a terrorist attack for getting shot? You are insulting quite a few people with this.
You sure about that? Now that Hamas has taken "credit" (what a disgusting word to use for killing people) for the shootings, do you not suppose some far-left wing radical newspaper will blame Israel's existence for Hamas' actions? It's almost predictable down to the timing.

For clarification, I don't believe anyone on this thread, or in the US or UK media is that cold-hearted, and if anyone did take offense, I apologize.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IisJustMe

Jun 23, 2006
Blue Springs, Missouri
✟23,494.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
According to the article, a civilian took one of the attackers out. Good for him, probably saved a few more lives.
I think it later turned out to be either an off-duty police officer or a soldier on leave. I can't remember which. Either way, way to go.

Upvote 0

MichaelFJF

Nov 13, 2002
Utah
✟12,597.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
According to the article, a civilian took one of the attackers out. Good for him, probably saved a few more lives.
Ditto. Israel's a dangerous place to start shooting. A good percentage of the civilians are armed. And then there are all those teenage soldiers walking around. Nope, much safer for a cowardly terrorist to just strap a bomb to his chest.

Upvote 0

BlackAndy

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
Dec 5, 2006
Hilliard, Ohio, USA
✟25,599.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
As Hamas is now the official government wing of the Palestinian people, taking credit for the attack of another nations citizen's is 1. stupid and 2. an act of war.
When the gloves come off (and you know full well Israel will respond militarily) the Palestinians have no one to blame but their elected officials.
I see in the news today pictures of Palestinians people celebrating after news of the attacks. Soon we will see pictures of these same people decrying Israels attack and the death of their people...

Upvote 0

BlackAndy

Dec 5, 2006
Hilliard, Ohio, USA
✟25,599.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You only have to think back as far as last summers war with Hezbollah. Israel was constantly criticized for their attacks on the terror group because, as they hid among civilians, civilians were killed in the fighting.

Upvote 0

BlackAndy

Dec 5, 2006
Hilliard, Ohio, USA
✟25,599.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hamas Backtracks on Responsibility Claim

Ibrahim Daher, head of Hamas' al-Aqsa radio, said his station put out an earlier claim of responsibility prematurely.
Abu Obeida, a spokesman for Hamas' military wing, confirmed the group was not taking responsibility for the attack — at least yet.
"There may be a later announcement. ... But we don't claim this honor yet," he said.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Talmidah

היום כולם יודעים - הרב כהנא צדק
Dec 15, 2003
Visit site
✟32,660.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
BlackAndy said:
Abu Obeida, a spokesman for Hamas' military wing, confirmed the group was not taking responsibility for the attack — at least yet.
"There may be a later announcement. ... But we don't claim this honor yet," he said.

Honor?

Upvote 0

revolutio

Apatheist Extraordinaire
Aug 3, 2003
R'lyeh
Visit site
✟6,762.00
Faith
Atheist
You sure about that? Now that Hamas has taken "credit" (what a disgusting word to use for killing people) for the shootings, do you not suppose some far-left wing radical newspaper will blame Israel's existence for Hamas' actions? It's almost predictable down to the timing.

For clarification, I don't believe anyone on this thread, or in the US or UK media is that cold-hearted, and if anyone did take offense, I apologize.
I don't disagree that some nutjob leftist paper will be jumping straight into the Israel's-oppression-makes-Hamas-this-way and skipping the terrorists-directly-and-willfully-killed-civilians-to-terrorize-a-populace. But you said the media and the left. That describes a huge number of people including photojournalists who may have run to the scene to document the carnage, reporters who announced Hamas' claims of responsibility, and some of people who would describe themselves as leftist who are right now taking part in a candle-light vigil over the killings.

I don't really get offended but phrasing like that only is going to beget misunderstanding on an issue which, right now, I don't see anyone on the other side of who isn't chanting in the streets of Gaza.

You only have to think back as far as last summers war with Hezbollah. Israel was constantly criticized for their attacks on the terror group because, as they hid among civilians, civilians were killed in the fighting.
The issue there was much more complex than this. While the IDF got a lot of criticism for their tactics, no one was blaming Gilad Shalit for getting abducted by Hamas or his fellow soldiers for getting hit by a rocket.

The debate over the Lebanon war is the same one that is going to come in the next few weeks when Israel retaliates (hopefully with the aim of dismantling Hamas). The issues then will be whether or not Israel could have used tactics that would have reduced civilian casualties given the militants strategy of drawing the fights into civilian areas. Why does the Israeli criticism get press? Because Israel has before shown the sense and heart to temper their tactics in response to civilian deaths, Hezbollah and Hamas have never.

Anyway, clarifications aside, that "honor" quote is the creepiest thing I've heard in a while. And BlankAndy you are right on the money about why this is a huge mistake for Hamas. Their bid for legitimacy also legitimizes open warfare to be waged against them. Unfortunately I think they are counting on it and hoping that the civilian causualties to follow will make Israel lose its nerve or the international community cut its support for Israel. They are going to bleed their own constituents dry in what is effectively a political manuever. Sick hardly even describes it. :sigh:

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
lone gunman carried out the attack and was killed by an off-duty Israeli army officer who lives nearby and ran to the school after hearing gunfire. Police had said earlier there were two gunmen.
Sad they make such a little statement of this hero.
Doesn't even say how he killed the shooter. I assume he shot the shooter with his service weapon. Rather then hand to hand.

Upvote 0