• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

7 Dead 52 wounded!

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by eastcoast_bsc, Aug 6, 2019.

1. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

+5,647
    Christian
    That was this weekend in Chicago. No one cares. This constant violence in our cities has no place in the political narrative.

I figured it at least deserved a headline.

Chicago Has Its Worst Weekend of Gun Violence in 2019 as 7 Are Killed

• Prayers Prayers x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. chevyontheriver

chevyontheriver Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,168
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    It's worse than that. Mentioning the Chicago death toll makes you a racist. And me a racist for not shaming you.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Go Braves

Go Braves On semi-hiatus here. Y'all take care.

+7,943
    United States
    Catholic
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    Well you're posting an article from the NY Times. I'm sure plenty of other papers reported it too. So clearly folks do care.

4. Go Braves

+7,943
    United States
    Catholic
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
  5. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

+5,647
    Christian

The point is that in all major cities violence has been ignored. Baltimore has had over 200 murders so far in 2019. Can you even imagine that? The common denominator in all major cities is that the majority of murders are committed in poor black neighborhoods and the the democratic mayors have done zero.

If people cared they would declare immediate Marshall law. If it were in Arlington Virginia they certainly would.

6. Go Braves

+7,943
    United States
    Catholic
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    Well, you're claiming it's been ignored while posting from a liberal newspaper that wrote an article about it, so you've defeated your own point. Also false that the mayors have done zero. There's also only so much that a mayor has the authority to do.

Congress has tried to pass reasonable gun reform. Mitch has blocked it.

We used to live in Mobile, Alabama. It's got one of the highest crime rates in the United States. The mayor is Republican, as is the governor. There's a lot of little cities in ruby red states that have got high levels of crime. Poverty & violence have long gone hand-in-hand. I'm fixing to head out on a construction mission to a real poor area of the Appalachia. It's nearly all white there. They've got a high level of crime, much of it not even reported. What are you personally doing to help out?

7. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

+5,647
    Christian

Reasonable gun reform? Most of the gun reform is aimed at curtailing the rights of law abiding citizens.

we can't legislate morality.

Let's see, I am working 50 to 60 hours a week making a living for myself. I don't have the time to run around virtue signaling.

I served my country in the US Army, get up everyday and go to work and have no criminal recorrd.

8. Go Braves

+7,943
    United States
    Catholic
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    Yes, the gun reform is entirely reasonable & law abiding citizens ought to be fully in support of them. My family has owned guns for generations. We're 100% in favor of such reform, having actually learned about it instead of just listening to the NRA's lobbyists.

But you do have the time for virtue signaling on an internet forum. OK. You see Christians building houses for folks in need as "virtue signaling"? Really? I just call that following the commands of Jesus Christ.

Exactly the same as my uncle who has been organizing this mission for 20+ years, and exact same as many of the folks on the crew.

9. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

+5,647
    Christian

Your the one who touted what you do and my response was that i have to work for a living. In fact it is 9:45 and I am at work now and will leave at 11:30 pm.

10. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

+5,647
    Christian
    As for gun control I had to submit to a Massachusetts CORI check and an FBI background check. Is that not enough?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  11. Go Braves

+7,943
    United States
    Catholic
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    Nope. Evidently not.

12. Go Braves

+7,943
    United States
    Catholic
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    Instead of demonizing or looking down upon communities that have high levels of violence & poverty, I've explained what I'm doing to actually help out. I guess I could just try griping on the internet?

Everyone on the crew works for a living, too.

13. Go Braves

+7,943
    United States
    Catholic
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    Well that's a rather limited telling of events. It faced fierce opposition by NRA who had their lobbyists do all they could to attack it. It was the Mass. Supreme Court, which consisted of both liberal & conservative judges that decided to overrule a conviction on account of how it had no reasonable leeway to it.

The Federal Assault Weapon Ban was pretty darn effective at reducing mass shootings over the weekend, the shooting at Gilroy prior to that. All three of the shooters were young white men using semiautomatic weapons that'd been legally purchased. The ban was passed by Congress in 1994, mainly voted on by Democrats but some Republicans get credit for having voted for it too. President Bill Clinton signed it into law. He's a Democrat. It expired in 2004, under President George W Bush. He's a Republican. Nope, the ban didn't resolve the homicide rate by gun, a problem pretty unique to the US, sad to say. It did, however, have an important impact on the number of mass shootings.

Changes in US mass shooting deaths associated with the 1994–2004 federal assault weapons ban: Analysis of open-source data

14. Stabat Mater

Stabat Mater Jesus Christ conquers! Supporter

+6,672
    Holy See (vatican City State)
    Traditional. Cath.
    Single
    The media is leftwing...

15. Miss Shelby

Miss Shelby Legend

+2,966
    Catholic
    Private
    You know what else you’re not gonna read about or hear about is that the Dayton shooter is/was a staunch Betsy Warren supporter. No, but we hear all about the El Paso shooter being a Trump supporter.

16. Go Braves

+7,943
    United States
    Catholic
    In Relationship
    US-Republican
    There's already been several threads about that right here, so I have no idea where you're getting the idea that nobody is going to read about that claim. It's based on account of old Tweets the murderer in Dayton wrote. He also wrote that he was all for gun control. Well. That doesn't appear to be true. He murdered his own sister in the massacre. His motives aren't nearly as clear as the shooter's in El Paso. The FBI is going to do a profile on him. Try to figure out what his motives actually were. They are not investigating that massacre as domestic terrorism or a hate crime like they are the El Paso shooting massacre and the Gilroy shooting massacre.

The El Paso murderer wrote out a manifesto, detailing that he was, to use Trump's words, angry about the "Hispanic invasion." He drove hundreds of miles from the cushy suburb he lived in with his grandparents specifically go to that Walmart in El Paso on account of it having a high percentage of Hispanic folks living in that area, shopping there. He hunted human beings based on their skin color. The El Paso shooter's mother called the police on account of her being terribly concerned about him having an assault weapon. She wanted them to take it, on account of him being too immature, too inexperienced. But they didn't. So he went and stole innocent lives with it.

17. Grumman Tomcat

Grumman Tomcat The LORD is my Pilot Staff Member Administrator Supporter

+5,492
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    MOD HAT ON
    Closed for review
    MOD HAT OFF

18. Grumman Tomcat

Grumman Tomcat The LORD is my Pilot Staff Member Administrator Supporter

+5,492
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    US-Republican
    MOD HAT ON
    Thread now open for posting again.
    If you are not a Catholic, you may not debate or teach in this area.
    MOD HAT OFF