7,000 year old foot prints found in Wales.

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,451.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
(First off: this website could really do with a forum dedicated to historical stuff. Just saying.)

Footprints 'date back 7,000 years and could show hunting party'

From the article, "Ancient human footprints discovered on the Welsh coastline are 7,000 years old and could show a snapshot of a Mesolithic hunting party, researchers have said.
Discovered in 2014, the pre-historic footprints of both children and adults at Port Eynon on the Gower peninsula, South Wales, were initially thought to date to the Bronze Age but analysis carried out at Cardiff University has revealed they are actually 3,000 years older than that.

Archaeology PhD student Rhiannon Philp carried out radiocarbon dating on the fragile footprints, which now places them in the Mesolithic period, a time when humans were predominantly hunting and gathering."

Now I have to say that's pretty cool.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
(First off: this website could really do with a forum dedicated to historical stuff. Just saying.)
There is a "History and Geneology" forum under "Society." And if that is not really what you are looking for, make the request under "Suggest New Forums" in the Support Center.

• Agree
Reactions: CrystalDragon
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly how does one carbon date a footprint?

Hi 71,

That was my question also. However, I'm not particularly well versed in the process but I'm thinking maybe they found a box of footprint cards nearby that had dates and times of who the footprints belonged to and when that person lived.

It has always been my understanding that the actual thing that is dated in carbon dating of prints and fossils is the material in which the form is impressed. However, I'm sure that I'm wrong.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Hi 71,

That was my question also. However, I'm not particularly well versed in the process but I'm thinking maybe they found a box of footprint cards nearby that had dates and times of who the footprints belonged to and when that person lived.

Maybe, or a nearby inscription. "Here was Ogg. Mighty hunter of the Great Sloth. April 3, 5004 BC"

It has always been my understanding that the actual thing that is dated in carbon dating of prints and fossils is the material in which the form is impressed. However, I'm sure that I'm wrong.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

That is the most likely method they used to date the prints, but that date would have to assume the medium appeared around the same time the prints were made, which is impossible to prove.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Footprints 'date back 7,000 years and could show hunting party'

From the article, "Ancient human footprints discovered on the Welsh coastline are 7,000 years old and could show a snapshot of a Mesolithic hunting party, researchers have said.
Discovered in 2014, the pre-historic footprints of both children and adults at Port Eynon on the Gower peninsula, South Wales, were initially thought to date to the Bronze Age but analysis carried out at Cardiff University has revealed they are actually 3,000 years older than that.

Archaeology PhD student Rhiannon Philp carried out radiocarbon dating on the fragile footprints, which now places them in the Mesolithic period, a time when humans were predominantly hunting and gathering."

Now I have to say that's pretty cool.
History & Genealogy

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,451.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
There is a "History and Geneology" forum under "Society." And if that is not really what you are looking for, make the request under "Suggest New Forums" in the Support Center.

I did look and it's a little... hit and miss for my liking. But since this topic concerns the age and will very likely spiral in to a debate about the carbon dating of the footprints, then it's best to keep it here.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,451.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Haven't we found footprints much older than this already?

There are a track of footprints that are 800,000 years old that were found in Norfolk in 2014. But I think these are the oldest tracks found in Wales.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,451.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Maybe, or a nearby inscription. "Here was Ogg. Mighty hunter of the Great Sloth. April 3, 5004 BC"

That is the most likely method they used to date the prints, but that date would have to assume the medium appeared around the same time the prints were made, which is impossible to prove.

Not really since coastal rock starts off as mud before turning in to actual stone. Now it's only when it's still in the state where it's closer to mud than rock that tracks are preserved, so the findings are accurate to around 99%.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Not really since coastal rock starts off as mud before turning in to actual stone. Now it's only when it's still in the state where it's closer to mud than rock that tracks are preserved, so the findings are accurate to around 99%.

That "99%" sounds like an unverifiable and made-up number.

And yet the medium was there prior to the footprints, and there's no way to prove how long it was there in a pre-hardened and muddy state. All this tells us is by the time it was hardening, someone walked in it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,451.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
That "99%" sounds like an unverifiable and made-up number.

You are correct, 99% is wrong. The actual percentage for accuracy is between 95 and 98% (from this link) which is still pretty good.

And yet the medium was there prior to the footprints, and there's no way to prove how long it was there in a pre-hardened and muddy state. All this tells us is by the time it was hardening, someone walked in it.

And what scientific basis do you have to say that the radiocarbon dating for the age isn't right? Because all I'm getting from your words is an argument from incredulity.

• Agree
Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
You are correct, 99% is wrong. The actual percentage for accuracy is between 95 and 98% (from this link) which is still pretty good.

And what scientific basis do you have to say that the radiocarbon dating for the age isn't right? Because all I'm getting from your words is an argument from incredulity.

Did I say anything about the dating method? No.

I'm challenging the assumptions used. Things have to be assumed to arrive at that date which cannot be proven. In other words, it's a guess put forward as a fact.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,451.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Did I say anything about the dating method? No.

I'm challenging the assumptions used. Things have to be assumed to arrive at that date which cannot be proven. In other words, it's a guess put forward as a fact.

They aren't assumptions. The scientists measured the uranium isotopes and got the date. That's not an assumption, that's a fact.
Again, your argument is "I don't get this, so it can't be right".

• Agree
Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Exactly how does one carbon date a footprint?

Does one test the sand or the hole in the sand?
Are holes organic material?
Is there still a foot in one of them then?

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are a track of footprints that are 800,000 years old that were found in Norfolk in 2014. But I think these are the oldest tracks found in Wales.

I suppose you can carbon date a whale.

Upvote 0