Brisbane
✟7,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I've been wondering why the Christian protestant Bible has 66 books, when Revelation says 666 is the number of the beast. Any thoughts?

It seems the number of 66 has been brought to my attention so many times that I think it's more than a co-incidence, but I don't know if this is God's way of telling me I'm doing something good (because the Bible is good) or bad (because it's part of the beast's number).

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've been wondering why the Christian protestant Bible has 66 books, when Revelation says 666 is the number of the beast. Any thoughts?
Because they mis-number the books of the OT. Instead of 39 OT books there are actually only 22, the same number as the Hebrew/Aramaic alphabet. The material is the same but the protestants divide it up more. 1-2 Samuel are one book, as are 1-2 Kings, 1-2 Chronicles, Ezra-Nehemiah, etc. The 12 minor prophets are all on one scroll.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
There are books that have been lost...

And the rest of the acts of Solomon, and all that he did, and his wisdom, are they not written in the book of the acts of Solomon? - 1 Kings 11:41

Now the rest of the acts of Nadab, and all that he did, are they not written in the book of the chronicles of the kings of Israel? - 1 Kings 15:31 (Kings is actually the book of the kings of Judah and Israel)

Now the rest of the acts of Solomon, first and last, are they notwritten in the book of Nathan the prophet, and in the prophecy of Ahijah the Shilonite, and in the visions of Iddo the seer against Jeroboam the son of Nebat? -2 Chronicles 9:29

Now the acts of Rehoboam, first and last, are they not writtenin the book of Shemaiah the prophet, and of Iddo the seer concerning genealogies? And there were wars between Rehoboam and Jeroboam continually. - 2 Chronicles 12:15

I would say that the actual bible would have contained 70-77 books.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
An
And they should never be considered "bible." God promised to preserve HIS word, and those books were not preserved.

Upvote 0

Devin P

Apr 16, 2017
Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It seems the number of 66 has been brought to my attention so many times that I think it's more than a co-incidence, but I don't know if this is God's way of telling me I'm doing something good (because the Bible is good) or bad (because it's part of the beast's number).
There used be 88.

A lot of the books removed were considered scripture by many in the bible, and historically.

The book of Enoch, the book of Jasher, etc, are quoted and referenced to by name several times in the bible. I feel (in my opinion) that Satan had to remove them, because a lot of the books that were removed are to the generation in the last days. Enoch especially. Plus there's a lot that we don't get to know without them.

• Informative
Reactions: danbuter
Upvote 0

Dither

May 10, 2017
Gold Coast
✟18,511.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
666 has been discovered, it is the Heliocentric lie.
The axis tilt of the ball earth is 23.4
23.4 minus 90 degrees is 66.6, there are many other proofs, Rob Skiba has just brought out a good video on this, if you are interested I will post it below.
Please research Flat Earth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

66 and 666 are not the same number. It should also be noted that numbers (and letters) are not good or bad.... they are symbols that point to concepts that we might use for good or bad. The "666" in Revelation (which by the way, is "616" in the Aramaic NT... and perhaps for a good reason) is the number of a MAN... not a book or the amount of books within a book. That's it.... if I go to the store and it rings up $6.66, that does not mean I am the anti-Christ, the cash register is the Beast, not does it reflect on what I purchased beyond the fact that combined the charge was $6.66. Meaningless.... and somewhat superstitious of us to take any other way. God is greater than any number.

• Agree
Reactions: Doug Melven
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I would say that the actual bible would have contained 70-77 books.

I agree with @Dave-W in that God promised to preserve His Word. If we get to the point where we start teaching that God was not capable of making sure we have exactly what He wanted us to have, we undermine Him and profane His name (character/reputation). I just posted this in another thread on this topic... you really might consider it.....

The book of Revelation tells us that there was a lamb slain from the foundation of the world. In looking at the language, that means that in some manner (probably in the mind of God) a sacrifice happened during the Creation period. This would indicate the need for a sacrifice, an understanding of God that before man was even created, he would fail. A second witness to this would be found in Genesis 1:14. If you place your cursor over the verse you'll see that the sun, moon, and stars were placed in the heavens for a number of reasons, one of which was for 'seasons.' That isn't a very good translation as the underlying Hebrew word is moedim, moed meaning "appointment" or "appointed time" but generally translated everywhere else as "Feast." Of course the "im" ending makes it plural, so Genesis 1:14 is saying the luminaries were place in the sky, in addition to other things, in order to determine when the Feasts would be. Since the Feasts, every one of them, point to various aspects of Messiah's work... then we have a second witness declaring that from the foundation of the world, God knew man would fail and He had already worked out a plan to bring them back to Him.

Knowing man would fail, God still created Adam which means even the creation of Adam was part of God's plan to bring man back to Him. Everything that happened from then on was part of God's redemptive plan... creating Eve, kicking both out of the garden... and every minor and major detail from then on through Sinai, Yeshua, through today.

My point... if God knew we would NEED more of less than the 66 books we have, He would have made that happen. We have what He wanted us to have, or He lacks control and the power to change things. Enoch is a fine addition to STUDY from, weigh in, consider... I use it like I do the Targumim, even to a lesser extend, the Talmud (the latter for cultural context, mainly).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
There are books that have been lost...I would say that the actual bible would have contained 70-77 books.
This is about the same as saying the Holy Spirit was ineffective at His work and that we cannot trust Scripture because God wasn't able to actually provide His complete Word to us.

Given that 66 is NOT 666, you may as well as this question of any number that isn't 666. Watch, let's pretend for a moment that the Bible contained 53 books.... "I've been wondering why the Christian Protestant Bible has 53 books, when Revelation says 666 is the number of the beast. Any thoughts?"

As for the 666 number, as a partial preterist, I can rest easy at night knowing that the 666 number was actually a reference to Nero. Here's a Free Lecture Series by RC Sproul.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Where do people get this stuff?

In this case, from a guy named Rob Skiba, a flat earth pushing, pendulum swinging Hebrew Roots "teacher" who probably made this up. :)

• Agree
Reactions: Mathetes66
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In this case, from a guy named Rob Skiba, a flat earth pushing, pendulum swinging Hebrew Roots "teacher" who probably made this up. :)

I can't get my head around flat earthers. I'm sure Skiba is faking it to make money, and I can only assume that his followers are, well, perhaps I shouldn't say.

There was enough evidence in ancient times to show the earth was spherical. Never mind that you that you also prove it every time you fly around the world. Or when you look at the stars in the Southern sky, which do NOT mark out circles around the north pole:

1280px-All_In_A_Spin_Star_trail.jpg

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I can't get my head around flat earthers. I'm sure Skiba is faking it to make money, and I can only assume that his followers are, well, perhaps I shouldn't say.

There was enough evidence in ancient times to show the earth was spherical. Never mind that you that you also prove it every time you fly around the world. Or when you look at the stars in the Southern sky, which do NOT mark out circles around the north pole:

1280px-All_In_A_Spin_Star_trail.jpg
It doesn't make sense because without leaving my backyard (I have a large telescope) I can prove that the moon is round. I can do the same with Mars and with filters, the sun. So... everything is round like a ball but Earth?

We have had people navigate around the world in planes and even a hot air balloon (Steve Fosset) who have circumnavigated the world. These man made contraptions carried cameras but were also tracked on their voyages. They start in one spot and travel around the world coming back to the same spot. We can track them all the way around the world... and it is a lie? And what is even gained by this lie? Would my life change if the earth was flat? Nope....

What is funny is we have over 50 years and 10's of thousands of NASA employees, thousands in the US military and thousands more in militaries around the world... and now over 100 countries that have space flight so we have over 100 countries, probably hundreds of thousands of people over 50 years and NOT ONE BLEW THE WHISTLE? We live in a world where people blow the whistle every day and laws have been made to protect the whistle blowers and NOT ONE in 50 YEARS out of HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS has shed any light on the greatest lie in human history????? Hmmm... must be because there is no light to shed... the Earth of ROUND.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Radagast

comes and goes
Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We have had people navigate around the world in planes

I've done it myself -- in sardine class in a jumbo jet.

What is funny is we have over 50 years and 10's of thousands of NASA employees, thousands in the US military and thousands more in militaries around the world...

And not just militaries. I saw Armstrong walk on the moon on TV. The signal came from the moon to an Australian radiotelescope and then directly to Australian TV (independently of the feed to NASA).

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

Devin P

Apr 16, 2017
Michigan
✟99,110.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is about the same as saying the Holy Spirit was ineffective at His work and that we cannot trust Scripture because God wasn't able to actually provide His complete Word to us.

Given that 66 is NOT 666, you may as well as this question of any number that isn't 666. Watch, let's pretend for a moment that the Bible contained 53 books.... "I've been wondering why the Christian Protestant Bible has 53 books, when Revelation says 666 is the number of the beast. Any thoughts?"

As for the 666 number, as a partial preterist, I can rest easy at night knowing that the 666 number was actually a reference to Nero. Here's a Free Lecture Series by RC Sproul.
How is that so when the first mention of 666 was back with Solomon?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

I wouldn't make a big deal about this. there is quite a big difference between 66 and 666. But if it still concerns you, pick up a Catholic Bible. Those have 73 books, the number before the subtraction the Protestants decided on. Then no worries about 666.

And whatever you do, do not stop reading the Bible because of 666 fears.

Upvote 0

Dither

May 10, 2017
Gold Coast
✟18,511.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't make sense because without leaving my backyard (I have a large telescope) I can prove that the moon is round.

And yet you have only ever seen one side.

NASA are liars, we never went to the moon.
Please question the offical version, love truth.
God created two great lights, not one and a bit.
The moons light is different to sunlight, it is cold.
Therefore it cannot be a reflection, test it yourself.
High altitude balloons have shown no discernible curvature, that jump (stratos) was filmed with a fisheye lens.

The world is much more than you have been told.

Please investigate Flat Earth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And yet you have only ever seen one side.

NASA are liars, we never went to the moon.
Please question the offical version, love truth.
God created two great lights, not one and a bit.
The moons light is different to sunlight, it is cold.
Therefore it cannot be a reflection, test it yourself.
High altitude balloons have shown no discernible curvature, that jump (stratos) was filmed with a fisheye lens.

The world is much more than you have been told.

Please investigate Flat Earth.
You attribute lies to people you have not met nor whose hearts you can see. And you're right champ... I can see only one side of the moon but it is rounded, not flat. As for other planets... you would be wrong, I can show you Jupiter rotating. This is such a DUMB position people are coming to... I am sorry, but the idea of a flat earth was killed off 600 years ago. And yet somehow... MILLIONS OF PEOPLE from over 100 nations have managed to perpetuate a lie without a single whistle blower showing any real evidence? And yet NASA (the people) are liars? All those other nations are liars? All those Christians who worked for those people are also liars? Because YOU believe the earth is flat? Get into a jet champ and start flying east... you will eventually come back to the place you started. This is a satanic distraction used to divide brethren and get us focused on anything but our WALK with God.

Upvote 0