United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Romans 3:20
For no one can ever be made right with God by doing what the law commands. The law simply shows us how sinful we are.

Galatians 3:11
So it is clear that no one can be made right with God by trying to keep the law. For the Scriptures say, "It is through faith that a righteous person has life."

Galatians 2:16
Yet we know that a person is made right with God by faith in Jesus Christ, not by obeying the law. And we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we might be made right with God because of our faith in Christ, not because we have obeyed the law. For no one will ever be made right with God by obeying the law."

To me, "keeping God's law" brings to mind the Old Testament and the 613 man-made laws that the Jewish people keep.

I would contend that the only "laws" we are to keep are the following three sets of laws:
(1) Jesus replied, "'You must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.' (Matthew 22:37)

(2) And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.’ The second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ No other commandment is greater than these.” (Mark 12:30-31)

(3) The Ten Commandments (basic moral laws)

Winken

Heimat
Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For no one can ever be made right with God by doing what the law commands. The law simply shows us how sinful we are.

So it is clear that no one can be made right with God by trying to keep the law. For the Scriptures say, "It is through faith that a righteous person has life."

Yet we know that a person is made right with God by faith in Jesus Christ, not by obeying the law. And we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we might be made right with God because of our faith in Christ, not because we have obeyed the law. For no one will ever be made right with God by obeying the law."

To me, "keeping God's law" brings to mind the Old Testament and the 613 man-made laws that the Jewish people keep.

I would contend that the only "laws" we are to keep are the following three sets of laws:
(1) Jesus replied, "'You must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.' (Matthew 22:37)

(2) And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.’ The second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ No other commandment is greater than these.” (Mark 12:30-31)

Nice post. I would observe that Jesus Himself embodied ALL Law, all law, all moral codes, and the Ten Commandments. He carried them out on the Cross, imparting Grace to each Believer.

Upvote 0

Korean-American Christian

raised Presbyterian. member of the Nazarene Church
Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Nice post. I would observe that Jesus Himself embodied ALL Law, all law, all moral codes, and the Ten Commandments. He carried them out on the Cross, imparting Grace to each Believer.

Winken, I completely and totally agree.

You wrote that better than I ever could have.

May our Lord Jesus be with you always
Jesus-Loves-You-Wallpaper-01.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

The 10 Commandments were part of the 613...so they were NOT manmade but written in stone. We can not now keep many of the 613 because there is no Temple. Also, as a man, others do not even apply to me. Yeshua broke the 10 down into the 2...love God and your neighbor. How do you show that? By following the 10.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Hello Korean-American Christian.

I would disagree with your proposition.

Gentile Christians are not under the law.

Gentile Christians are under the law of liberty, the law of Christ, the law of love.

Jesus gave us a new commandment.

John 13:34
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.

You do not just try and love your neighbor because that is what the law says.

You will love everyone with the love that is written on your heart. Christ sacrificed Himself to demonstrate what divine love is all about. That is the love you reflect, not the law of Moses, the law of Christ.

Upvote 0

Korean-American Christian

raised Presbyterian. member of the Nazarene Church
Feb 21, 2017
USA
✟17,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Hello Korean-American Christian.

I would disagree with your proposition.

Gentile Christians are not under the law.

Gentile Christians are under the law of liberty, the law of Christ, the law of love.

Jesus gave us a new commandment.

John 13:34
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.

You will love everyone with the love that is written on your heart. Christ sacrificed Himself to demonstrate what divine love is all about. That is the love you reflect, not the law of Moses, the law of Christ.

klutedavid, I agree with you -

You will love everyone with the love that is written on your heart. Christ sacrificed Himself to demonstrate what divine love is all about.
love-your-neighbor.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: klutedavid
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

To me, "keeping God's law" brings to mind the Old Testament and the 613 man-made laws that the Jewish people keep....

It is interesting how that has happened, because when God made the covenant with Jews, He spoke about ten commandments:

Yahweh said to Moses, "Write you these words: for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel." He was there with Yahweh forty days and forty nights; he neither ate bread, nor drank water. He wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.
Exodus 34:27-28

Nice thing is that the law is really simple, it all is fulfilled when one loves others as himself. :)

Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law. For the commandments, "You shall not commit adultery," "You shall not murder," "You shall not steal," "You shall not give false testimony," "You shall not covet," [TR adds "You shall not give false testimony,"] and whatever other commandments there are, are all summed up in this saying, namely, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." Love doesn't harm a neighbor. Love therefore is the fulfillment of the law.
Romans 13:8-10

Upvote 0

Copperhead

Supporter
Feb 22, 2013
✟208,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Those 613 commandments encompassed a lot of stuff. Not every one had to observe all 613. If you are male, for instance, laws regarding purification after your monthly menstrual cycle would not apply. I guess now in this transgender nonsense we live in today, that could be clouded. Sorry, it was a low hanging apple I had to grab.

But there are laws that provide better approaches to civil life than anything we dream up today. Laws regarding how orphans, widows, the poor, etc needs are met that supports the dignity of all. How animals are treated to prevent cruelty to them and suffering.

It is the view of "law" that gets most folks twisted up. It is hard for some to visualize how David could extol the law and proclaim how it refreshes him. Can you imagine the looks someone would get if they proclaimed "I love the speed limit laws, they refresh my soul". The Mosaic Law was actually viewed in a very positive light by many. Not as some rigid bunch of rules to follow, but a guide to living.

The Mosaic law was a guidebook to successful, fulfilled living, and most of it dealt with our relationships to others, property stewardship, etc. God Himself, after reaffirming the covenant with Israel stated....

Deuteronomy 30:19 (NKJV) I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live;

The Law was meant to bring fulfilled life. Only its perversion by man led to the rigid nonsense that we see going on between Yeshua and the Jewish leadership of His day. And the nonsense that went on between the Judaizers and gentiles in the NT accounts was of no help. It just cemented the idea of the Law as a bunch of rigid rules that must be enforced on everyone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Law was meant to bring fulfilled life. Only its perversion by man led to the rigid nonsense that we see going on between Yeshua and the Jewish leadership of His day. And the nonsense that went on between the Judaizers and gentiles in the NT accounts was of no help. It just cemented the idea of the Law as a bunch of rigid rules that must be enforced on everyone.

I think you have good point. And it agrees also with Paul:

But we know that the law is good, if a man uses it lawfully,
1 Tim. 1:8

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums