Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
LOL. That would make the Hebrew Aloh an even more obviously the cognate to Allah. But my point had nothing to do with vowel sounds which are not that important in a Semitic language in any case. What is important is the trilateral root which will not change from one Semitic language to another. In Hebrew word for 'oak' has a 'nun' as part of its trilateral root. So your assertion that Allah meant oak in Hebrew is simply a falsehood. Whether it is a falsehood on your own part or someone fed you this garbage, I have no idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_(name)
By the way your link leads to nothing.

Here is how it (Allah) is spelled in the "Ancient Hebrew": אלה

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It led to the right place a moment ago.

Oak is אַלוֹן btw.

Yes, but that is not biblical Hebrew. Over the thousands of years the languages of the world have changed to varying degrees.

Upvote 0

BruceDLimber

Baha'i
Nov 14, 2005
Rockville, Maryland, USA
✟10,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What if the Christian theologians are right? It's not like they just make a bare assertion about "Allah" out of thin air.

Like it or not, some do, while others see the two religions as complimentary.

And there's another possibilitiy you're overlooking: that more, clarifying information may have been provided over time.

Once again, you're ignoring the fact that Arab Christians call God "Allah" and that there's far more agreement between the various Abrahamic religions than some care to admit!

Bruce

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married

Like it or not, some do, while others see the two religions as complimentary.

And there's another possibilitiy you're overlooking: that more, clarifying information may have been provided over time.

Once again, you're ignoring the fact that Arab Christians call God "Allah" and that there's far more agreement between the various Abrahamic religions than some care to admit!

Bruce

I think some Christians are nervous of parallels being drawn between Christianity and Islam because Islam has been a popular political enemy for a long time.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Yes, but that is not biblical Hebrew. Over the thousands of years the languages of the world have changed to varying degrees.

The variations are as follows: אֵילוֹן, אִילָן

The vowel sounds change a bit but in no case is the 'nun' lost because trilateral roots in a semitic language don't change.

There is no 'nun' in Allah, therefore it is obviously not of the same root as the Hebrew word for 'oak.' It does, however, share the same trilateral root as Eloh, namely Alef, Lamed, Hei.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
I heard that even if someone converts to Christianity, people will refuse to make them a new ID-card, so his ID-card will still say he's a muslim. At least that's the case in some muslim country.

That was true in Egypt. I'm not sure if it still is. Baha'is were refused ID-cards altogether without which you cannot enroll in school, get married, etc.

Upvote 0

WoodrowX2

Nov 27, 2013
North Dakota, USA
Visit site
✟9,599.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I heard that even if someone converts to Christianity, people will refuse to make them a new ID-card, so his ID-card will still say he's a muslim. At least that's the case in some muslim country.

That is the case in Malaysia. A requirement for citizenship in Malaysia is you must be Muslim. A Non-Muslim can not be a citizen therefore not eligible for ID cards/

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Contradictory information is the concern I was bringing up, not complimentary information.

Bruce

I think you're confusing me with other posters. I haven't ignored anything....because no one has said anything of substance as yet.

I'm not terribly concerned over what the colloquial word for God in Arabic is at the present time, but rather how the word "Allah" was used prior to Mohammed. It was just a question, and no one has answered it sufficiently yet and probably can't. Doesn't bother me either way. God's Name has never been Allah. To use the word "Allah" for "God" is fine and nobody really cares about that. Every language has a word for God.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
That is the case in Malaysia. A requirement for citizenship in Malaysia is you must be Muslim. A Non-Muslim can not be a citizen therefore not eligible for ID cards/

I don't think that is precisely correct. You can be a Malaysian citizen if you are not a Muslim provided your parents lived in Malaysia prior to its independence, but you must be Muslim to be a ethnic Malay and all Malays are defined as Muslims. This created some problems for Baha'is back in the '70's. The Baha'i community has generally prospered in Malaysia so long as it does not attempt to convert Muslims. Back in the 70's there were still a number of Malays who were pagan and Baha'is enjoyed considerable success spreading their religion among these people, but the government then ruled that all Malays were Muslims and Baha'is could no longer go into that area. Baha'is in Malaysia today are of Indian or Chinese descent, but it is still a large and vibrant community.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Contradictory information is the concern I was bringing up, not complimentary information.

I think you're confusing me with other posters. I haven't ignored anything....because no one has said anything of substance as yet.

I'm not terribly concerned over what the colloquial word for God in Arabic is at the present time, but rather how the word "Allah" was used prior to Mohammed. It was just a question, and no one has answered it sufficiently yet and probably can't. Doesn't bother me either way. God's Name has never been Allah. To use the word "Allah" for "God" is fine and nobody really cares about that. Every language has a word for God.

In ancient Hebrew and the old Aramaic the word "Allah" meant "oak." After the creation of Islam the name "Alilah" was shortened to "Allah." In the original Hebrew and Aramaic the word for God was "IL." Later in history the word "IL" was changed to "EL." There is no relationship between the word "Allah" in ancient Hebrew and Aramaic, and the modern Arabic word "Allah." They are not related words. "Allah" is the contraction of the Babylonian word "Alilah."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WoodrowX2

Nov 27, 2013
North Dakota, USA
Visit site
✟9,599.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think that is precisely correct. You can be a Malaysian citizen if you are not a Muslim provided your parents lived in Malaysia prior to its independence, but you must be Muslim to be a ethnic Malay and all Malays are defined as Muslims. This created some problems for Baha'is back in the '70's. The Baha'i community has generally prospered in Malaysia so long as it does not attempt to convert Muslims. Back in the 70's there were still a number of Malays who were pagan and Baha'is enjoyed considerable success spreading their religion among these people, but the government then ruled that all Malays were Muslims and Baha'is could no longer go into that area. Baha'is in Malaysia today are of Indian or Chinese descent, but it is still a large and vibrant community.

Thank You for the fine tuning and clarification

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
In ancient Hebrew and the old Aramaic the word "Allah" meant "oak."

The Hebrew word for oak has a 'nun' at the end. If you are going to argue this was not the case with ancient Hebrew and Aramaic then you need to present your evidence for that, preferably from a peer-reviewed academic article.

After the creation of Islam the name "Alilah" was shortened to "Allah."

In the original Hebrew and Aramaic the word for God was "IL." Later in history the word "IL" was changed to "EL." There is no relationship between the word "Allah" in ancient Hebrew and Aramaic, and the modern Arabic word "Allah." They are not related words. "Allah" is the contraction of the Babylonian word "Alilah."

Uh no, because as I've already pointed out trilateral roots are not going to be lost and Alilah is spelled with an 'ayn not an alif. Those are two completely different letters. While the glottal stop has been lost in modern Hebrew it still exists in Arabic and has an entirely different sound to it. But again, if you can show me a peer-reviewed academic article which demonstrates that this is not the case, I will consider your argument.

Hint: Blog entries on CF do not count as peer-reviewed articles.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The Hebrew word for oak has a 'nun' at the end. If you are going to argue this was not the case with ancient Hebrew and Aramaic then you need to present your evidence for that, preferably from a peer-reviewed academic article.

Uh no, because as I've already pointed out trilateral roots are not going to be lost and Alilah is spelled with an 'ayn not an alif. Those are two completely different letters. While the glottal stop has been lost in modern Hebrew it still exists in Arabic and has an entirely different sound to it. But again, if you can show me a peer-reviewed academic article which demonstrates that this is not the case, I will consider your argument.

Hint: Blog entries on CF do not count as peer-reviewed articles.
Go to a Christian book store and look for the NIV Exhaustive Concordance. then look up the word "OAK." You need to get it through your head that languages changed over the many years.
Try also looking here: Bible Search: oak

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Sorry to say, but Christian book stores don't contain peer-reviewed academic articles. Besides why would I look to a Christian to understand something in Hebrew instead of a scholar of Judaica?

THE LINK I GAVE YOU IS A SCHOLARLY SOURCE.

Upvote 0