Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, I take a little offence at that, because the only book I've ever read on it that tabled the idea of "Allah" being the name of the moon God was a secular history book written in the 1800s.

I have never heard of an academically reviewed text which supported the idea and this is my field.

Upvote 0

WoodrowX2

Nov 27, 2013
North Dakota, USA
Visit site
✟9,599.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I have never heard of an academically reviewed text which supported the idea and this is my field.

Hard to tell exactly when some non-Muslims began the Moon-god nonsense. but it certainly was popularized by Robert Morey in 1992

Prior to then, I can not find any reference to it.

Robert Morey first wrote about his “Allah is the moon-god” theory in The Islamic Invasion (1992) and then later reproduced it with minor changes in a twenty page booklet entitled The Moon-God Allah in the Archeology of the Middle East (1994). The latter has fallen out of print, and Morey himself refers readers to The Islamic Invasion “for more information” about his moon-god theory. It is this book then that I will refute.

SOURCE

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟267,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't see any need for saying Allah is from an original form as a moon god, and I don't have an objection to the term, "Allah". I see that there are Christians that use it. But the Muslim Allah is not the same as God revealed in the Bible. Yahweh God is holy, not permitting any place for sin, which is all of what he names as sin, that he won't deal with in having just consequences, and he is compassionate and loving, with mercy to those who will respond to him, with cost to himself for redemption to them without violation to his justice, and he is without limit. This in itself is radically different than Allah as depicted from Islam or the Quran.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Yahweh God is holy, not permitting any place for sin, which is all of what he names as sin, that he won't deal with in having just consequences, and he is compassionate and loving, with mercy to those who will respond to him, with cost to himself for redemption to them without violation to his justice, and he is without limit. This in itself is radically different than Allah as depicted from Islam or the Quran.

The 'cost to himself for redemption' is not the Yahweh of the Tanakh, it is the God of the NT who is never referred to there as Yahweh. You might well argue that the God of the NT is radically different than the Allah of the Qur'an but I fail to see any difference between the Allah of the Qur'an and the Yahweh of the Tanakh.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WoodrowX2

Nov 27, 2013
North Dakota, USA
Visit site
✟9,599.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The 'cost to himself for redemption' is not the Yahweh of the Tanakh, it is the God of the NT who is never referred to there as Yahweh. You might well argue that the God of the NT is radically different than the Allah of the Qur'an but I fail to see any difference between the Allah of the Qur'an and the Yahweh of the Tanakh.

Every Jew I know agrees that Allah(swt) is the Yahweh of the Tanakh and the same root word as Elohim.

Upvote 0

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I don't see any need for saying Allah is from an original form as a moon god, and I don't have an objection to the term, "Allah". I see that there are Christians that use it. But the Muslim Allah is not the same as God revealed in the Bible. Yahweh God is holy, not permitting any place for sin, which is all of what he names as sin, that he won't deal with in having just consequences, and he is compassionate and loving, with mercy to those who will respond to him, with cost to himself for redemption to them without violation to his justice, and he is without limit. This in itself is radically different than Allah as depicted from Islam or the Quran.

Actually, Muslims and Christians worship the same One God. And this was not a controversial idea before 9/11. It has been widely accepted for millenia that this is the case- indeed, the first Christians to witness Islam thought it was a Christian heresy similar to many other unorthodox sects that sprang up in Christianity's first 500 years.

It's only recently that powerful, evangelical churches in America have been exporting this idea that Islam follows a completely different deity. It seems that some intolerant bigots in Malaysia have also bought into this myth, but it just ain't so.

Upvote 0

BruceDLimber

Baha'i
Nov 14, 2005
Rockville, Maryland, USA
✟10,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Please visit my Picture Album on my Profile page, for a short tour of ND.

If you saw the recent (double) segment on 60 Minutes, you got a look at the missile installations there, including an aerial view of one of the silos.

Bruce

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WoodrowX2

Nov 27, 2013
North Dakota, USA
Visit site
✟9,599.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If you saw the recent (double) segment on 60 Minutes, you got a look at the missile installations there, including an aerial view of one of the silos.

Bruce

I missed it. I'm not a TV watcher, just have the TV so the cats can watch animal planet.

I just can't seem to get interested in anything on TV anymore.

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Actually, Muslims and Christians worship the same One God. And this was not a controversial idea before 9/11. It has been widely accepted for millenia that this is the case- indeed, the first Christians to witness Islam thought it was a Christian heresy similar to many other unorthodox sects that sprang up in Christianity's first 500 years.

There's plenty in historic Christian theology that states that Allah is a false God. Read some medieval conciliar statements and certainly the Protestant Confessions and magisterial reformers- magnified by their successors of course. But some of these go too far I think.

Upvote 0

BruceDLimber

Baha'i
Nov 14, 2005
Rockville, Maryland, USA
✟10,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There's plenty in historic Christian theology that states that Allah is a false God.

Which merely shows that Christian theologians can be mistaken, too.

And you're quite correct that some of their statements are clearly excessive.

Besides which, you are referring to some of the most prejudiced (as in "pre-judging") statements prompted by the most hateful of motives....

Plenty of Christians (as well as others) have stipulated the Oneness of God, Allah included. And indeed, Arab Christians have always referred to God as Allah!

Peace, :)

Bruce

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Which merely shows that Christian theologians can be mistaken, too.

And you're quite correct that some of their statements are clearly excessive.

Besides which, you are referring to some of the most prejudiced (as in "pre-judging") statements prompted by the most hateful of motives....

Plenty of Christians (as well as others) have stipulated the Oneness of God, Allah included. And indeed, Arab Christians have always referred to God as Allah!

Peace, :)

Bruce

But there's two sides to this Bruce. What if the Christian theologians are right? It's not like they just make a bare assertion about "Allah" out of thin air. They base their beliefs on the claims of the Quran's revision of previous written revelation. The logic path is simple: when the stories in the Quran contradict the Biblical account- they both can't be right. Therefore either Allah is not the God of the Bible (eg. telling a different story) or He is a fiction, concoction or fabrication of man, or He is the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob and Judaism and Christianity are wrong. Hence, it would be natural for such theologians to assume one of the former scenarios.

I don't think the real basis of that teaching is prejudiced or "hateful", but just an attempt to solve a dilemma. I do however think that resolution often leads to prejudice and hate.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

It's only recently that powerful, evangelical churches in America have been exporting this idea that Islam follows a completely different deity. It seems that some intolerant bigots in Malaysia have also bought into this myth, but it just ain't so.

Here is the problem. The name of our God the Father is (Yahuah / Yahwah.) The name of their God is Allah, AKA Alilah. And in Hebrew and the old Aramaic, Allah means oak; and it is also the name of a man.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
Here is the problem. The name of our God the Father is (Yahuah / Yahwah.) The name of their God is Allah, AKA Alilah. And in Hebrew and the old Aramaic, Allah means oak; and it is also the name of a man.

The Hebrew cognate for Allah is Eloh. Oak in Hebrew is Elon. There is no 'nun' in Allah.

Try again.

Upvote 0

CherubRam

Dec 21, 2012
✟103,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The Hebrew cognate for Allah is Eloh. Oak in Hebrew is Elon. There is no 'nun' in Allah.

Try again.
You are wrong.

See NIV Exhaustive Concordance, page 1372. Ref # 464. The Hebrew vowel for e was introduced after the 2nd century AD. Before then the vowel was "a." Hebrew did not have an e vowel before the second century AD.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
You are wrong.

See NIV Exhaustive Concordance, page 1372. Ref # 464. The Hebrew vowel for e was introduced after the 2nd century AD. Before then the vowel was "a." Hebrew did not have an e vowel before the second century AD.

LOL. That would make the Hebrew Aloh an even more obviously the cognate to Allah. But my point had nothing to do with vowel sounds which are not that important in a Semitic language in any case. What is important is the trilateral root which will not change from one Semitic language to another. In Hebrew word for 'oak' has a 'nun' as part of its trilateral root. So your assertion that Allah meant oak in Hebrew is simply a falsehood. Whether it is a falsehood on your own part or someone fed you this garbage, I have no idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_(name)

Upvote 0