6 Biblical Reasons Why Jesus Made Unfermented Wine (Grape Juice).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They just want everyone to be as miserable as they are

"For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost." (Romans 14:17).

• Agree
Reactions: Trumpeter2
Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You keep have your nutty ideas, and I'll keep being me. I ran down your nutty idea road and to be honest think God I didn't run into people with your weird nutty ideas or I would not want to be a Christian.

• Agree
Reactions: Francis Drake
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You keep have your nutty ideas, and I'll keep being me. I ran down your nutty idea road and to be honest think God I didn't run into people with your weird nutty ideas or I would not want to be a Christian.

Jesus says,

"...If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me."
(Matthew 16:24).

• Agree
Reactions: Trumpeter2
Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,613.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So were they in an intoxicated

Yes they were.

Have you ever been really drunk? If you've ever been really drunk and taking another shot on top of that did you notice that it had any finer quality about it? In all likelihood the answer is no.

They could notice a difference in what they drank though. I think that speaks volumes about Christ's wine and how it's qualities pierced their intoxication to the point where they could realize how good what he made was.

Reactions: Jenniferdiana
Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,613.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You keep have your nutty ideas, and I'll keep being me. I ran down your nutty idea road and to be honest think God I didn't run into people with your weird nutty ideas or I would not want to be a

There's no reason to be this vindictive.

If you need a glass of wine to calm down you're welcome to it. I prefer to be filled with the Spirit and not filled with the spirit of dissipation. thank you.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This vs. is an argument against watered down wine rather than for it. The "wine" of God's wrath will not be watered down.

As with secular Greek sources, the verse from Revelation indicates that wine not mixed with water was unusual.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just noticed something though, if the people were already drunk how would they be able to know that the wine was the best wine for last?

The master of ceremonies (who tasted the wine) typically did not drink seriously himself; he was working, not partying.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Yes they were.

Have you ever been really drunk? If you've ever been really drunk and taking another shot on top of that did you notice that it had any finer quality about it? In all likelihood the answer is no.

They could notice a difference in what they drank though. I think that speaks volumes about Christ's wine and how it's qualities pierced their intoxication to the point where they could realize how good what he made was.

The master of the feast is the one who declared the quality of the wine. It's unlikely, as Radagast indicated, that he would have been drinking on the job.

-CryptoLutheran

• Winner
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

zelosravioli

Believer
Site Supporter
Mar 15, 2014
Northern California
✟147,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
1. The proof that it was fermented wine: it was a wedding!
2. Weddings lasted a long time, as this one seemed to (that doesn't happen without real wine).
You obviously dont drink wine, or know enough about wine, no one 'really' talks, or gets excited (as the master in wedding did) about the goodness and flavor of more grape juice, and its too sweet a juice to be refined in taste (and I have made my own grape juice). Fermented wine has a world of its own, 'taste' is more than a thing with wine, and the good, or best wine is something of the gods, and in this case God (I guess you don't understand)
3. You did not study the word methysthōsin (John 2:10), the same word is used in at least seven other senses and it always means 'drunk' of some sort;other verses with the same word;
and eat and drink with drunkards...
the woman drunk with the blood...
For these men are not drunk, as you suppose..
who get drunk get drunk at night...
earth and were made drunk those that dwell on it...
envying, drunkenness, carousing...

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Right. My point exactly. If somebody was drunk, they would not know the difference between good wine or bad wine.

the text says "the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside and said, “Everyone brings out the choice wine first and then the cheaper wine after the guests have had too much to drink; but you have saved the best till now."

"too much to drink" seems to suggest that at least some guests had become intoxicated, however it is not these guest that comment on the wine but rather the Master who assumingly is not intoxicated. If the guest were full on juice there may not be able to enjoy the "choice wine" that Jesus makes in the same way but would still be able to recognize that it is quality wine. Only when the guest are intoxicated does contrast the master brings up makes the most sense as the intoxicated do not have the capacity to appreciate fine wine but if they were simply full they would still have that capacity. I think the text without any bias applied naturally points to the guests at the party have become a degree of intoxication that did not extended to the MC.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I find it strange that it says the director of the feast called the bridegroom and the bridegroom of that wedding was Jesus, I never looked at it that way before...?

Oh, and I think the wine was alcoholic, I think...

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As most people know, a higher alcoholic content is NOT what causes a wine to be judged to be better wine. I assume that this doesn't need further elaboration.
Have you ever drank a non-alchoholic wine? They put it on the ships I work on for the festive seasons. Pah! Terrible stuff! and that is from reputable wine makers trying to pander to the teetotallers.
I'll stick to a cup of good coffee until they ban that for some puritanical reason as well.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree with the other posts here, not the OP. Throughout the bible, the message of moderation is the point. As someone mentioned, gluttony is a sin. Not eating itself, but eating too much. There's no sin that says having a drink is a sin. Just being a drunkard, meaning you're constantly getting drunk.

Water was unsafe to drink back then, so it was quite common to regularly drink wine or to mix wine with water to kill the germs and make it safe.
This went for (shock horror!) children especially, where it was recognised that they had a lower tolerance for alchohol but still needed something safe and healthy to drink.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
My Grandfather, before he died at 90, was told to, or was told it was ok and even good too, drink two glasses of red grape wine a day, for his heart and circulatory issues, (Health issues) and he did, and I think that's why he lived to ninety... And Paul, I think, told Timothy to drink some for his stomach... And you do know that alcohol, has a purifying effect on the beverage, when much of the water could not be trusted to drink...

And, not to mention that no one made non-alcoholic wine back then, cause they can only do it today, cause of some process they did not have back then to make it non-alcoholic, or something like that...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know too much about alcohol and how it destroys the body and people's lives.
An old Rabbinical saying goes something like you can tell the truth about a person in their anger, in thier cups, and in thier wallet.

I have lived with many "terrible" alchoholics who were some of the most astute and intelligent professionals I have ever met. A number of them have outlived thier siblings.

I would suggest that the problem with alchohol is that it reveals to much truth about a person, and for many this is a bad thing.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
An old Rabbinical saying goes something like you can tell the truth about a person in their anger, in thier cups, and in thier wallet.

I have lived with many "terrible" alchoholics who were some of the most astute and intelligent professionals I have ever met. A number of them have outlived thier siblings.

I would suggest that the problem with alchohol is that it reveals to much truth about a person, and for many this is a bad thing.
Carnal self, not Spiritual self, and that's part of the problem, and overdoing it can be very destructive sometimes...

And I do not think Jesus is saying it's OK to be and alcoholic, because of any of this either... That's just "silly"...

God Bless!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.