Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Evangelical Leaders Statement
Condemning Christian Nationalism's role in the January 6 Insurrection

As leaders in the broad evangelical community, we recognize and condemn the role Christian Nationalism played in the violent, racist, anti-American insurrection at the United States Capitol on January 6.

While we come from varied backgrounds and political stances, we stand together against the perversion of the Christian faith as we saw on January 6, 2021. We also stand against the theology and the conditions that led to the insurrection.

Our faith will not allow us to remain silent at such a time as this. We are also aware that our world needs more than a statement right now… we need action. We will do our best to be faithful to Jesus, and to those Christ called “the least of these.”

read the full letter

2PhiloVoid

Yes, you're right! I'm not Gandalf!
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,125,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

As leaders in the broad evangelical community, we recognize and condemn the role Christian Nationalism played in the violent, racist, anti-American insurrection at the United States Capitol on January 6.

While we come from varied backgrounds and political stances, we stand together against the perversion of the Christian faith as we saw on January 6, 2021. We also stand against the theology and the conditions that led to the insurrection.

Our faith will not allow us to remain silent at such a time as this. We are also aware that our world needs more than a statement right now… we need action. We will do our best to be faithful to Jesus, and to those Christ called “the least of these.”

read the full letter

Well, that's a start in a better direction ...

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

read the full letter

Wonderful, true, great letter that should be read by ALL!!

Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

read the full letter
I'm guessing they will be condemned by the far-right as CINOs (Christian In Name Only).

Heck, they'll be relegated to Roman Catholic status on the spectrum of acceptable Christianity.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,389,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Over the centuries, there are moments when the Church, the trans-national Body of Christ-followers, has seen distortions of the faith that warranted a response. In ages past, the Church has responded by holding emergency councils in order to unilaterally denounce mutations of the Christian faith, and to affirm the core values at the heart of Christianity. It is in that spirit that we unite our voices to declare that there is a version of American nationalism that is trying to camouflage itself as Christianity -- and it is a heretical version of our faith."

Nationalism has been creeping into the American church for most of my lifetime.

What would an "Emergency Council" look like today?

• Useful
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟689,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
First I am hearing of the term. I actually found their website (looks like a teenager designed it), but cannot find any real evidence of any volume following their ideology.

I have to ask - is this really anything more than a website and the left responding to something with little to no followers and exacerbating the situation?

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I shall enlarge no further upon the primary sense and literal accomplishment of this and numerous other prophecies respecting both Jews and Gentiles, in the latter day glory of the church. For I have assumed the text, only as introductory to a discourse upon the political welfare of God's American Israel; and as allusively prophetic of the future prosperity and splendor of the United States.

How wonderful the revolutions, the events of providence! We live in an age of wonders: we have lived an age in a few years: we have seen more wonders accomplished in eight years, than are usually unfolded in a century. God be thanked, we have lived to see peace restored to this bleeding land, at least a general cessation of hostilities among the belligerent powers. And on this occasion does it not become us to reflect, how wonderful, how gracious, how glorious, has been the good hand of our God upon us, in carrying us thro' so tremendous a warfare! We have sustained a force brought against us; which might have made any empire on earth to tremble—and yet our bow has abode in strength; and having obtained help of God, we continue unto this day.

The United States elevated to glory and honor. A sermon, preached before His Excellency Jonathan Trumbull, Esq L.L.D, governor and commander in chief, and the Honorable the General Assembly of the state of Connecticut, convened at Hartford, at the anniversary election, May 8th, 1783. / By Ezra Stiles, D.D. president of Yale-College.

We need these preachers once more, ones who will not shy away from telling the truth of God's Works.

When I see witness to God's hand of love, mercy and grace lifted from this nation, at that time it will cease to have my devotion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

read the full letter
What is the definition of “Christian Nationalism”?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟278,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I didn't recognize any of the signers but it is hard to wade through.

We know from experts on radicalization that one of the key elements is a belief that your actions are "blessed by God" and ordained by your faith. This is what allows so many people who hold to a Christian Nationalism view to be radicalized.

Recall their prayer when they sacked the chamber.

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
IMO: Those who prioritize a nation over the teachings of Jesus Christ.

In practice, if the government were to prioritize the teachings of Christ over the nation, that would make us a theocracy. Do you want that?

Upvote 0

Direct Driver

Jan 19, 2021
Kentucky
✟12,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christianity is evangelical, but not theocratic. It's all about individual freedom.
Judaism is theocratic, but not evangelical. You are free to jion - or not - but it restricts individual freedom for members (i.e. feasts, Sabbath, etc.).
Islam is both evangelical and theocratic. That is a dangerous combination as demonstrated by all of the Islam majority nations.

Christian nationalism would make a country/state a Christian theocracy. That will not SUCCESSFULLY happen until Jesus comes to complete His work.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
In practice, if the government were to prioritize the teachings of Christ over the nation, that would make us a theocracy. Do you want that?

The criticism is not aimed at the government, but at Christian nationalists.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The criticism is not aimed at the government, but at Christian nationalists.

The term would suggest a pro-theocractic movement who wishes to place Christian virtues, morals, and ideology over the Constitution. I could see a "Christian nationalist" making New Testament biblical claims that would put an end to the 1st and 2nd amendments. Would you agree?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I didn't recognize any of the signers but it is hard to wade through.

The LA Times article where I saw it mentioned: "Signers of letter, called “Say No To Christian Nationalism,” included Jerushah Duford, the granddaughter of the late Rev. Billy Graham, and the Rev. Jim Wallis, the founder of Sojourners, a prominent progressive Christian advocacy organization."

• Informative
Reactions: mark46
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,389,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is that the definition that the signers would use?

Assuming the signers agree with the text of the letter, I would say yes.

".....The word “Christian” means “Christ-like.” As leaders in the Church, we do not agree on everything, but we can agree on this -- Christians should live in a way that honors Jesus, and reminds the world of Him.

As Jesus himself said, "They will know that you are my disciples by the way you love” (John 13:35). No Christian can defend the unChristlike behavior of those who committed the violence on January 6. Not only was it anti-democratic, but it was also anti-Christian. "

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,389,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Jesus was speaking to us as the body of believers - not the government.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Jesus was speaking to us as the body of believers - not the government.

Are not elected officials to be representative of the People (ie: the subset being this "body of believers") in our Republican form of government?

Jesus did in fact say go make disciples of all nations (ethnos).

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,389,243.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are not elected officials to be representative of the People (ie: the subset being this "body of believers") in our Republican form of government?

Yes.

But going back to your statement:

Your question presumes we are to use the power of the government to implement the teachings of Jesus. That isn't what Christ taught.

Upvote 0