✟48,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
This thread is dedicated to @Mary Meg

How do you know whether or not you should be a Protestant? Let's take a look at where Protestantism began - with the Five Solas. All Reformational theology flows from these five principles, which are actually five objections to Roman Catholic theology. So take a look at each of these and see how it sits with you. If you agree with these, you are not Roman Catholic and could never be. But if you disagree with them, you're not being biblical! Sorry, had to reveal my bias there.

1. Sola Scriptura - The Bible alone is the word of God and the only infallible rule of faith and practice.

2. Solus Christus - Jesus Christ is the only savior of sinners and his atoning sacrifice is sufficient to save them.

3. Sola Gratia - Our salvation is not earned in any part; it is a free gift of God from start to finish.

4. Sola Fide - We are forgiven our sins and counted righteous in God’s sight solely by trusting in Christ.

5. Soli Deo Gloria - The ultimate end of all God’s works in creation and redemption is his own glory alone.

Don't make me cry by trying to deny any of these wonderful doctrines.

Last edited:

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

How do you know whether or not you should be a Protestant? Let's take a look at where Protestantism began - with the Five Solas. All Reformational theology flows from these five principles, which are actually five objections to Roman Catholic theology. So take a look at each of these and see how it sets with you. If you agree with these, you are not Roman Catholic and could never be. But if you disagree with them, you're not being biblical! Sorry, had to reveal my bias there.

1. Sola Scriptura - The Bible alone is the word of God and the only infallible rule of faith and practice.
  2. Solus Christus - Jesus Christ is the only savior of sinners and his atoning sacrifice is sufficient to save them.
  3. Sola Gratia - Our salvation is not earned in any part; it is a free gift of God from start to finish.
  4. Sola Fide - We are forgiven our sins and counted righteous in God’s sight solely by trusting in Christ.
  5. Soli Deo Gloria - The ultimate end of all God’s works in creation and redemption is his own glory alone.
1) It is also important to note the the bible also designates Jesus as "the Word".
2) That's a great perspective, I wish more people subscribing to this would reflect this during works for salvation threads while marketing themselves as protestants.
3) Same as 2.
4) I don't disagree with this, but a lot of protestant pastors do.
5) I don't think we can know what the end is, the scripture seems to designate faith hope and love for "what remains" and love for his defining characteristic. Glory becomes a factor when praying in Jesus name, one of the conditions is that the Father is glorified of the Son.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
5) I don't think we can know what the end is, the scripture seems to designate faith hope and love for "what remains" and love for his defining characteristic. Glory becomes a factor when praying in Jesus name, one of the conditions is that the Father is glorified of the Son.

"End" in this context means "purpose".

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Let's take a look at where Protestantism began - with the Five Solas. All Reformational theology flows from these five principles, which are actually five objections to Roman Catholic theology.

That's an interesting snapshot of 16th century Protestantism, but it's doubtful how well it captures modern Protestant bodies, many of which would deny various Solas under the meaning ascribed to them by the original Reformers.

A more interesting thread would be, "What's the difference between Protestants and Catholics?" What do folks think are the key differences in the 21st century?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
"End" in this context means "purpose".
Purpose in context of fulfilling prayer requests is arguably His Glory. However, the purpose of everything tends to be reflective of His love, I find.

For example, God created land so living beings would live in it. God created us last so we could enjoy what was made. God rested so that we would.

God does stuff to benefit others, that seems to be an end purpose more gospel related.

• Useful
Reactions: Loyce KG
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,752.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Good thing you added that line. ;) I won't deny them here, but will point out that one "alone" would make sense. Five "alones" just doesn't.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
That's an interesting snapshot of 16th century Protestantism, but it's doubtful how well it captures modern Protestant bodies, many of which would deny various Solas under the meaning ascribed to them by the original Reformers.

Sadly this may be true. We will see how this plays out in this thread. All of the original Reformers, as far as I can tell, held to the Five Solas. If Protestants today depart from the Solas, then I don't even know what they are anymore. As for me and my house, we will stick to them.

A more interesting thread would be, "What's the difference between Protestants and Catholics?" What do folks think are the key differences in the 21st century?

While modern Protestantism may have drifted from the Solas, they are still very much relevant in terms of their relation to Catholicism. It seems to me that modern Catholicism directly contradicts at least 4 of the 5.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

When I talk to Catholic missionary types, I notice the way scripture (where there's a belief that is exclusive to the Catholic church) is interpreted doesn't make sense. The century probably doesn't matter since the cultural divide remains.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Good thing you added that line. ;) I won't deny them here, but will point out that one "alone" would make sense. Five "alones" just doesn't.

Hah. Well each Sola is addressing a specific issue. They do not contradict each other.

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
How exactly does RC theology disagree with #5?

It would not explicitly contradict it. But if our salvation depends in part on our response to God and our participation in our salvation, then God does not get all of the glory. Some credit is owed to us who have contributed to our salvation.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,324.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
How exactly does RC theology disagree with #5?
Having read the catechism, I don't think it does.

A common thought at the time of the reformation was that the RCC was the prophetic beast of scripture with heads of blasphemy and all that, so glorifying God became a priority ... is my guess.

• Informative
Reactions: Mary Meg
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,183.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Sadly this may be true. We will see how this plays out in this thread. All of the original Reformers, as far as I can tell, held to the Five Solas. If Protestants today depart from the Solas, then I don't even know what they are anymore. As for me and my house, we will stick to them.

I suppose we could call them Protest...ers. :D

While modern Protestantism may have drifted from the Solas, they are still very much relevant in terms of their relation to Catholicism. It seems to me that modern Catholicism directly contradicts at least 4 of the 5.

Probably, but I don't think they (currently) demarcate the most fundamental differences between Catholicism and Protestantism generally. Interestingly, Quid recently posted C.S. Lewis' thoughts on the topic. I think Lewis gets close to the nub.

Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,925,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Here's part of a short article by R C Sproul's son, R C Sproul Jr., that may prove to be helpful with this.

The Soul of the Solas
by R.C. Sproul Jr.

It puzzles me deeply that so few are puzzled deeply by the paradox. We are so used to the befuddling language that we miss its befuddling nature. It ought to stop us in our tracks and arrest our attention, like those signs I see for Fifth Third Bank. Fifth Bank I could understand. Third Bank I could understand. I could understand them merging to become Fourth Bank. But Fifth Third Bank? What does that even mean?

In like manner, how is it that when our spiritual ancestors, our theological heroes, set out to tell us one thing, they ended up telling us five things? Suppose I had lived in a cave for the last five hundred years and then met someone who wanted to get me up to speed on the Reformation and what I should believe. What if they said: “There are five things. The first one is sola…”? Would I not have to say: “Stop right there. If there are five, how can even one of them be called sola?

It does, of course, in the end make perfect sense. The alones are not alone because they are talking, in a manner of speaking, on different wavelengths. An infinite line is really infinite, but it doesn’t cover everything. An infinite plane is, in a manner of speaking, even more infinite than an infinite line, but it doesn’t cover everything. What sola Scriptura is seeking to keep out isn’t grace, faith, Christ, or God’s glory. It’s trying to keep out unbiblical tradition. Grace alone doesn’t exclude the Bible, faith, Christ, or the glory of God.

In a very real sense, though they spin on different axes, these five are one. The Bible alone is God’s infallible revelation of His glory, which reveals His grace in Christ, which becomes ours through the gift of faith. God’s grace is uniquely revealed in His Word, which reveals the work of Christ, which becomes ours by faith, all redounding to His glory. The solas are precise and potent affirmations of this truth—it’s all about God. They remind us not just how we might have peace with God but that peace with God is not the full and final end of all things. They remind us that the story of the Bible isn’t simply how we who are in dire straits can make it to safety and how nice God is to play such an important role in making that happen. Instead, they remind us that He is the end, and we are the means. The story is about Him and His glory more than us and our comfort.

Jesus makes much the same point in the Sermon on the Mount. He recognizes our weaknesses. We are self-centered, concerned with ourselves and what we perceive our needs to be. So, we worry about what we will eat and what we will wear. We fret about our provision and our status. What Jesus doesn’t tell us, however, is: “Now, look, you have no need to worry about these things because you have someone on your side. Other people might need to worry, but you don’t because my Father in heaven is for you. You can pursue these things with confidence, knowing that you have the supreme advantage of having the supreme being on your side.”

What He tells us instead is surprising. He tells us to set aside our petty concerns and, depending on how you look at it, to set our minds on one or two things. He said, “Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness.” Do we now have seven solas? Ought we to add the kingdom and His righteousness to the alones? By no means. These are all still together the one thing. There is an organic unity not only between the kingdom and the righteousness but between these two solas and the five solas of the Reformation. We are not failing to pursue the kingdom of God when we are seeking after His righteousness. We are not failing to pursue His righteousness when we are seeking after His kingdom. We are pursuing one thing— one way—to honor and serve our Maker and Redeemer by affirming our dependence on Him and His preeminence in all things.

The God we serve is one. As such, He calls us to follow one path. His commands are never and can never be pitted against each other. His wisdom is never and can never be pitted against itself. His grace is never and can never be pit ted against His character. When we find ourselves torn, confused, pulled in different directions, it isn’t because we are faithfully following Him but because we are not. It isn’t because we are faithfully heeding His voice but because we are not.

The two—His kingdom and His righteousness—are one as the five— the solas of the Reformation—are one as the Three—Father, Son, and Holy Spirit—are One. And these three groupings are one as well. In the end, they are all about the beginning. From the beginning they have always been about the end. For our lives are and always will be bound up together in the Alpha and the Omega.

~The Soul of the Solas by R.C. Sproul Jr.
--David

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

How do you know whether or not you should be a Protestant? Let's take a look at where Protestantism began - with the Five Solas. All Reformational theology flows from these five principles, which are actually five objections to Roman Catholic theology. So take a look at each of these and see how it sits with you. If you agree with these, you are not Roman Catholic and could never be. But if you disagree with them, you're not being biblical! Sorry, had to reveal my bias there.

@Mary Meg seems to be doing fine in her studies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
1. This is a man made tradition of the protestant "reformation". You cannot say that Scripture is the sole rule of faith and be in harmony with the very people who wrote the Scriptures. Luke shows us that there is authority in Magisterium when he describes the council in Jerusalem in the Acts of the Apostles.

2. How is this contrary to Catholic teaching?

3. Again, how is this contrary to Catholic teaching?

4. The Scriptures you claim to adhere to say that only by faith in Jesus Christ is a man made holy in God's sight- no work of the law can achieve this, and, You see that a man is justified by his works, and not by faith alone. What is a "work"? Don't we have to do more than "believe" in Christ? Are you arguing that we are not also obligated to obey Him, and that His Blessed Mother was wrong to tell the servants at Cana, do whatever he tells you?

5. See 2 and 3.

I pray that all protestants will study as @Mary Meg does, and see that Christianity did not only begin to exist in the 16th century.

Upvote 0

MDC

Jan 19, 2017
Texas
✟59,701.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single

The 5 solas are a beautiful way of expressing foundational truths of biblical Christianity

Upvote 0

TuxAme

Quis ut Deus?
Site Supporter
Dec 16, 2017
Ohio
✟191,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
The 5 solas are a beautiful way of expressing foundational truths of biblical Christianity
"Biblical Christianity" only came to exist 15 centuries after Christ's life, death and resurrection. Historic, authentic Christianity preceded the compilation of the Biblical canon, even the writing of the Scriptures, and continues to exist alongside the Scriptures which were produced by the Church.

Upvote 0