Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Citing "mental health concerns", Simone Biles has pulled out of all-around individual competition. I don't blame her, due to the tremendous amount of pressure that corporations and ad executives place on these athletes. She had a bad vault and became discouraged, so she has withdrawn herself... nothing wrong with that as she has nothing to prove to anyone considering that she already has 4 gold medals, a silver, and a bronze around her neck.

I'm personally glad that she's choosing to draw attention to mental health by not competing. It's always good to have someone prominent and as decorated as her recognizing that mental health isn't just "being moody" or "having a bad attitude". I for one applaud her decision, she's getting up there in age for a gymnast anyway and had previously spoken about how she was afraid that she could potentially injure herself the way that Dominique Moceanu did in 1996... or worse.

But in light of her decision, one big question is on my mind:

How long will it take Trevor Noah of the Daily Show to say that the reason she withdrew is because of "racism"?

Sheila Davis

Nov 18, 2020
Houston
✟65,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
The Olympic committee imposed somewhat of a handicap on Simone.
She would not be given points on her ability to do feats the others couldn't - citing the other is may try to perform such feats and injured theirselves.
That alone is enough to depress you, to make you not even want to perform, to make you walk away. After all what is the point when you will not get points.
Here you are the best in your field and those in charge are hendering you.
Almost like telling a championship swimmer to swim with arms and legs tied.
In 2019 she was penalized by the championship committee for the performance of a feat they considered too dangerous. Enough is enough!

Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well it works out in a good way because she gave her place up to another teammate and that teammate won a gold, so I think that was pretty cool of Simone regardless.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Citing "mental health concerns", Simone Biles has pulled out of all-around individual competition. I don't blame her, due to the tremendous amount of pressure that corporations and ad executives place on these athletes. She had a bad vault and became discouraged, so she has withdrawn herself... nothing wrong with that as she has nothing to prove to anyone considering that she already has 4 gold medals, a silver, and a bronze around her neck.

I'm personally glad that she's choosing to draw attention to mental health by not competing. It's always good to have someone prominent and as decorated as her recognizing that mental health isn't just "being moody" or "having a bad attitude". I for one applaud her decision, she's getting up there in age for a gymnast anyway and had previously spoken about how she was afraid that she could potentially injure herself the way that Dominique Moceanu did in 1996... or worse.

But in light of her decision, one big question is on my mind:

How long will it take Trevor Noah of the Daily Show to say that the reason she withdrew is because of "racism"?
Her leg and ankle were taped after her balance beam routine and elsewhere she had a hard landing. At 24 she may have suffered numerous injuries in all the competitions she has done. She is a champion.

• Agree
Reactions: BrAndreyu
Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
She is a champion

Oh there's no way I'd be denying that. Lady has 4 gold medals, a silver, and a bronze. She has absolutely nothing left to prove to anyone and I actually appreciate that she withdrew to focus on her mental health because it calls attention to the importance of mental well being and from someone who is such a decorated champion to boot.

Then you factor in that she withdrew and one of her teammates took her spot and won a gold anyway and it's all around a pretty feel-good story. I don't understand why that guy from Texas was trying to say that she's a "national embarrassment" but you know, people (especially politicians) say things to get their publicity and get people talking about them and as it has been said "no press is bad press".

I was looking forward to seeing her compete again because she was about as impressive as they get in 2016, but I think that regardless of what the advertising executives have to say about her withdrawal, that she did the right thing and I respect her for it.

Reactions: dqhall
Upvote 0