Profile of PersecutionMethodology
Violence 7%
Church Life 75%
National Life 56%
Community Life 59%
Family Life 73%
Private Life 72%

Where Persecution Comes From

In this Gulf country, Islam dominates Oman’s society, politics and legal system. What sets it apart from neighboring countries is the dominance of Ibadism, an Islamic sect known for its relative tolerance. Because of this, Christians and even converts from Islam are not subjected to violence. However, because tribe and religion in Oman are interconnected, leaving Islam is seen as a betrayal of both tribe and family. Thus, those who convert to Christianity face pressure to return to Islam. While the Omani government actively promotes religious tolerance, its laws are still based on Sharia law—allowing freedom of religion only when it does not violate established customs, policy or morals.

How Christians are Suffering
While expatriate Christian communities in Oman are tolerated, all religious organizations must be registered with authorities. To avoid offending nationals, facility use is restricted, and authorities monitor Christian meetings for political content and attendance among Omani citizens. It’s also difficult to build and register new churches here, and Christians who come into contact with Muslims can be accused of proselytism. Christian persecution exists in the form of home eviction, job termination, discrimination, harassment and bullying pressures converts to recant their faith. Legal discrimination, particularly in the form of custody rights favoring Muslims, adds to this pressure.

Examples
Public proselytizing is forbidden; evangelism can only be done in private.

While the government pays the salaries of some Sunni imams, it does not pay Shia (Muslims in the second-largest branch of Islam) or non-Muslim religious leaders.

Non-Muslim religious groups are required to register with the government, which then approves and controls their ability to lease buildings.

Pray for Oman
  • Only a handful of believers live in Oman. Pray that God will soften the hard, dry ground of this country’s spiritual climate and pour out His Spirit on the nation.
  • Thank the Lord for faithful tentmakers that persevere in serving the Lord in Oman under difficult circumstances. They often lack fellowship with other Christians and feel lonely, sometimes even forgotten, by the “free” part of the Body of Christ. Pray that they will be encouraged.
  • Thank the Lord for Omani believers who have recognized the Lord Jesus as the Son of God and their king. Pray for boldness to share their new life in Him. Also pray for the protection of these newborn believers and those who share with them the riches of the gospel.

Oman Photo Gallery

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Heavenly Father, I lift up the persecuted saints in Oman and the salvation of unbelievers in that country to you in prayer. I also pray for our sister's ministry. In Jesus's blessed and Holy Name, I pray, Amen.

Upvote 0

Moses James

Jun 10, 2018
California
✟15,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I pray that seeds of faith that have been planted in this barren place can grow and flourish. I pray for well being and resoluteness of all believers in Oman who suffer social pressure and persecution for their faith. My God deliver them from their trails.

Upvote 0