Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Latitude, elevation, and the presence of large crustal masses all have an effect. For a 1 kg weight, you should get:

Vancouver: 1.003

Anchorage & Helsinki: 1.002

Chicago: 1.001

Phoenix: 1.000

Denver & Washington DC: 0.999

Kuala Lumpur & Manila & Mexico City: 0.997

Here are observed values:

GRACE_globe_animation.gif

Reactions: 46AND2
Upvote 0

46AND2

Forty six and two are just ahead of me...
Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Apologies for being gone for a while. Some things came up in my personal life.

I was originally going to go to Phoenix this week, but that has been postponed for a month or so. I'll keep you updated. I'll be ordering the scale soon.

I did speak to my brother (whom I am visiting in Phoenix) about it, and he is excited about helping out.

I do have one more week off from work, I'll use some of that time to try to nail down my prediction.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,454.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The discussion was brought up in another thread that if the earth is a spinning globe, then the weight of objects should vary at different latitudes. This is because centrifugal force is stronger when closer to the equator than the poles, a reaction counter to the force of gravity.

To illustrate why the centrifugal force is stronger, consider a person standing in the northern most part of Siberia. If you measure the circle created at that latitude, that's how far one travels/spins in one day. Now consider somebody standing at the equator. The circle created at the equator is much larger, indeed, the whole circumference of the earth. But someone standing on that circle still has to travel the entire circumference in the same amount of time as the person in Siberia has to travel around the circumference of their circle.

This means that the person at the equator must be travelling faster than the person in Siberia. So the force acting against gravity is stronger at the equator, making the person standing there weigh less.

This, of course, has been tested and confirmed (I will add links soon). But I thought it would be fun to actually perform an experiment of my own and document it.

I have selected a reasonably priced scale that has a sufficient accuracy to document the small changes that would be incurred:

My Weigh iBalance 401 (i401)

It has good reviews, and is supposed to be accurate to within 5 millligrams. The difference I expect to see will be in the couple hundred milligram range (I'll calculate an actual prediction prior to the experiment).

Of course, there is virtually no way to convince you flat earthers that I won't cheat. To that I say, THEN DO IT YOURSELF.

That said, I will attempt to minimize shadiness by adhering to a few guidelines, and am open to other suggestions for these guidelines that I have not considered; no reasonable condition will be denied. Here they are (so far):

1. I will video the unpackaging of the box the scale comes in
2. I will video the unpackaging of the calibration weights
3. I will document the serial number of the scale
4. Hopefully, I can find some weights that have their own serial numbers, but if not, I will figure out how to mark them in some way, so all can see I am using the same ones.
5. I will document my GPS coordinates for each weighing location
6. I will provide video proof that I am at the locations I say I am.
7. I will select locations that are approximately the same elevation. I will be travelling to Phoenix, AZ from Vancouver, WA. Phoenix is substantially higher elevation, so I will have to find a suitable location near Vancouver on a hill or mountain.
8. Tests will occur indoors (at ground level) to minimize potential temperature and artificial elevation effects, with ample "warm-up" time for the scale.
9. Scale will be plugged in, rather than use of batteries, to ensure it is fully powered.
10. I will go back to my Washington location after the trip to confirm the calibration of the scale has not been thrown out of whack during travel. I will do my best to treat it gently along the way.
11. New batteries will be installed (while plugged in) prior to each journey, in case it won't save settings without them (though this shouldn't be a problem, anyway). And it will remain plugged in for the duration of my stay in Phoenix.
12. The limit of the scale is 400 grams. However, scales are typically less accurate in the top and bottom 25% of their ranges (at least this was true 20 years ago when I had to calibrate them in the Army). So the test will be conducted with a 300 gram weight.
13. Scale will be boxed up and sealed on camera between measurements, and reopened on camera when measurement is to be performed.

I will add conditions as deemed necessary in the coming weeks. The trip should take place over the Christmas holidays this year.

Please offer any suggestions for improvement or things to consider.

Your condition suggestions will be highlighted in red.
Nobody will believe you.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
46AND2 --- in Canada there is a Department of weights and Measures and I am sure the USA government has an equivalent department. They could be of great assistance to you in calibrating your equipment. From my understanding "g" is greatly affected by deeply buried masses that are geologically scaled. Good luck with your experiment.

BTW, I personally have performed the Cavendish Experiment almost 60 years ago. It was so sensitive that when we set it up at the university it was negatively affected by vibrations from nearby heavy traffic. We ended setting it up in an abandoned farmhouse on the Saskatchewan prairie. We were able to confirm Newton's Law of Gravity and obtain a value of "G".

Upvote 0

46AND2

Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
46AND2 --- in Canada there is a Department of weights and Measures and I am sure the USA government has an equivalent department. They could be of great assistance to you in calibrating your equipment. From my understanding "g" is greatly affected by deeply buried masses that are geologically scaled. Good luck with your experiment.

BTW, I personally have performed the Cavendish Experiment almost 60 years ago. It was so sensitive that when we set it up at the university it was negatively affected by vibrations from nearby heavy traffic. We ended setting it up in an abandoned farmhouse on the Saskatchewan prairie. We were able to confirm Newton's Law of Gravity and obtain a value of "G".

Cool!

The U.S. has the National Institute of Standards and Technology, which I believe is similar to the department you have there.

The calibration of the scale will be quite simple; in fact, I'll likely be more thorough than is necessary as I have a background in measurement tool calibration.

As for calculating my prediction, I think I have found enough resources for HOW to calculate a reasonably accurate prediction. It'll just be a matter of locating the correct local values for my measurement locations, for things like the type of rock, elevation, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
I will add conditions as deemed necessary in the coming weeks. The trip should take place over the Christmas holidays this year.

Christmas holidays are over, so I hope it went well for you. Didn't want to burst your bubble, but this has been done before. I recall watching someone chronicle their trip by way of YouTube almost 2 or 3 years ago now. It would be silly of me to think that he was the only one. I hope you did the same.

Upvote 0

46AND2

Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Christmas holidays are over, so I hope it went well for you. Didn't want to burst your bubble, but this has been done before. I recall watching someone chronicle their trip by way of YouTube almost 2 or 3 years ago now. It would be silly of me to think that he was the only one. I hope you did the same.

See here:

Apologies for being gone for a while. Some things came up in my personal life.

I was originally going to go to Phoenix this week, but that has been postponed for a month or so. I'll keep you updated. I'll be ordering the scale soon.

I did speak to my brother (whom I am visiting in Phoenix) about it, and he is excited about helping out.

I do have one more week off from work, I'll use some of that time to try to nail down my prediction.

Trip was delayed but still forthcoming.

I've seen a few attempts at the experiment...with globe-like results...only for FE folk to whine about this or that. I'm trying to rebut some of those gripes...as well as have a bit of fun.

Don't expect to change anyone's mind...I've seen far superior arguments denied, and incontrovertible ones ignored.

But I think it is a fascinating, easy experiment to perform.

What might be helpful, rather than your hand-waving dismissal of the experiment, is offering some input. What didn't work for you with the previous experiments you saw? What errorsneed correction? What do you expect to see from this experiment? If there is a weight difference, how does it fit the FE model?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: lasthero
Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
See here:

Trip was delayed but still forthcoming.

I've seen a few attempts at the experiment...with globe-like results...only for FE folk to whine about this or that. I'm trying to rebut some of those gripes...as well as have a bit of fun.

Don't expect to change anyone's mind...I've seen far superior arguments denied, and incontrovertible ones ignored.

But I think it is a fascinating, easy experiment to perform.

I guess I missed the post about the postponement. I'm all for experimentation. It's how I became flat-earther after all. There is nothing to hide with this concept. Numerous groups and individuals, such as FECore.org, have conducted a continuous variety of tests over the last few years, and the results are clear. We've all been lied to.

So, I understand you have no expectations of changing anyone's mind. There's nothing more stubborn than a ballers mind who 'knows' he/she is right, just because they've been told so from birth.

Upvote 0

46AND2

Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I guess I missed the post about the postponement. I'm all for experimentation. It's how I became flat-earther after all. There is nothing to hide with this concept. Numerous groups and individuals, such as FECore.org, have conducted a continuous variety of tests over the last few years, and the results are clear. We've all been lied to.

So, I understand you have no expectations of changing anyone's mind. There's nothing more stubborn than a ballers mind who 'knows' he/she is right, just because they've been told so from birth.

What might be helpful, rather than your hand-waving dismissal of the experiment, is offering some input. What didn't work for you with the previous experiments you saw? What errors need correction? What do you expect to see from this experiment? If there is a weight difference, how does it fit the FE model?

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
What might be helpful, rather than your hand-waving dismissal of the experiment, is offering some input. What didn't work for you with the previous experiments you saw? What errors need correction? What do you expect to see from this experiment? If there is a weight difference, how does it fit the FE model?

What dismissal? I'm encouraging it. I encourage every baller on here who just taunts and mocks to go do something for themselves in this regard. I have a great deal of respect for people like you who aren't afraid to check things out for themselves.

My experiment was different than yours, so I don't have much to offer to yours in particular. If I can find the guy who was chronicling his a few years back, I'll share. I used to have a lot of this archived on my computer, but lost everything when my hard drive somehow became unformatted last March. If successful, the search might take a bit of time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

46AND2

Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What dismissal? I'm encouraging it. I encourage every baller on here who just taunts and mocks to go do something for themselves in this regard. I have a great deal of respect for people like you who aren't afraid to check things out for themselves.

My experiment was different than yours, so I don't have much to offer to yours in particular. If I can find the guy who was chronicling his a few years back, I'll share. I used to have a lot of this archived on my computer, but lost everything when my hard drive somehow became unformatted last March. If successful, the search might take a bit of time.

Cool, then. Your first reply came off as kinda "been there, done that" Would appreciate your input if you can find it....

Upvote 0

46AND2

Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Would you care to make any predictions?

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I encourage every baller on here who just taunts and mocks to go do something for themselves in this regard. I have a great deal of respect for people like you who aren't afraid to check things out for themselves.

Why is it that all flat Earthers seem to avoid doing basic astronomy?

Basic astronomy refutes flat Earth and I have yet to find a flat Earther familiar with it.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Why is it that all flat Earthers seem to avoid doing basic astronomy?

Basic astronomy refutes flat Earth and I have yet to find a flat Earther familiar with it.

And I'm sure you've looked everywhere for such a person.

Upvote 0