Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That we're entering a dangerous period.
44 ex-senators warn U.S. is 'entering a dangerous period'

“We are on the eve of the conclusion of special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation and the House’s commencement of investigations of the president and his administration,” the 44 ex-lawmakers wrote in an op-ed published by The Washington Post. “The likely convergence of these two events will occur at a time when simmering regional conflicts and global power confrontations continue to threaten our security, economy and geopolitical stability.”​

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That we're entering a dangerous period.
44 ex-senators warn U.S. is 'entering a dangerous period'

“We are on the eve of the conclusion of special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation and the House’s commencement of investigations of the president and his administration,” the 44 ex-lawmakers wrote in an op-ed published by The Washington Post. “The likely convergence of these two events will occur at a time when simmering regional conflicts and global power confrontations continue to threaten our security, economy and geopolitical stability.”​

Between the tensions abroad, and the administration's desperately growing need for a shiny new distraction, a dangerous time indeed.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
They are ex-Senators for a reason. They refused to embrace Reality TV, Governing by Twitter, voting Opiate users, Coal jobs, the Confederate flag, wild conspiracy theories, demonizing minorities, and non-action against White Supremacy. They needed to keep up with the times and failed.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Something interesting from the article, linked by the OP: "Though the op-ed did not refer to President Donald Trump by name, its ominous tone and solemn appeals were reminiscent of another opinion piece that recently riled up Washington — the anonymous letter published by The New York Times in September alleging that a “quiet resistance” within Trump’s executive branch had banded together to “frustrate parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations.”"

One of the rumors is that John Kelly has been one of those moderating influences -- both trying to curb some of Trump's impulses as well as trying to prevent the President from taking actions that are not within his power. I also think one of the fears by some is that Trump will be looking to appoint more of a "yes man," a Chief of Staff that will work to implement what he wants, and when he wants it, rather than to prevent and delay his worse impulses.

If this ends up being the case, the new Chief of Staff could end up being a third event that will bring even more instability to the government and the United States.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Something interesting from the article, linked by the OP: "Though the op-ed did not refer to President Donald Trump by name, its ominous tone and solemn appeals were reminiscent of another opinion piece that recently riled up Washington — the anonymous letter published by The New York Times in September alleging that a “quiet resistance” within Trump’s executive branch had banded together to “frustrate parts of his agenda and his worst inclinations.”"

One of the rumors is that John Kelly has been one of those moderating influences -- both trying to curb some of Trump's impulses as well as trying to prevent the President from taking actions that are not within his power. I also think one of the fears by some is that Trump will be looking to appoint more of a "yes man," a Chief of Staff that will work to implement what he wants, and when he wants it, rather than to prevent and delay his worse impulses.

If this ends up being the case, the new Chief of Staff could end up being a third event that will bring even more instability to the government and the United States.

With all the people lining up to take the Chief of Staff job, it is hard know.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Let's see...that's 36 Democrat Senators and 8 generally Establishment or liberal Republicans.

Their declaration is a snoozer.
That gentic fallacy response was not surprising.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,976.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Let's see...that's 36 Democrat Senators and 8 generally Establishment or liberal Republicans.

Their declaration is a snoozer.

I see. So if the people are sounding the alarm are people who you don't agree with ideologically then it is impossible for them to have a valid point?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I see. So if the people are sounding the alarm are people who you don't agree with ideologically then it is impossible for them to have a valid point?
I'll stick with what I said--there's very little "news" in a declaration of this sort because the objectivity of the signers, almost to a man, is highly questionable. That's not a matter of anyone either liking or disliking the stance they took.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,976.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I'll stick with what I said--there's very little "news" in a declaration of this sort because the objectivity of the signers, almost to a man, is highly questionable. That's not a matter of anyone either liking or disliking the stance they took.

So what was the purpose of highlighting their party affiliation if not to use it to discredit them?

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sen Orin Hatch, 1999 during the Bill Clinton impeachment trial :
...... “committing crimes of moral turpitude such as perjury and obstruction of justice go to the heart of qualification for public office.”

“This great nation can tolerate a president who makes mistakes,” Hatch said then. “But it cannot tolerate one who makes a mistake and then breaks the law to cover it up. Any other citizen would be prosecuted for these crimes.”

....and this past Monday:

“The Democrats will do anything to hurt this president,” Utah Senator Orrin Hatch told CNN when asked if he was concerned about the allegations. When reporter Manu Raju reminded Hatch that it is not the Democrats, but the Southern District of New York, making the allegations, Hatch said, “I don’t care, all I can say is he’s doing a good job as president.”

Read the rest of the lame GOP Senators' lame excuses here:
‘I Don’t Care’: GOP Senators Dismiss Allegations Against Trump

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
...... “committing crimes of moral turpitude such as perjury and obstruction of justice go to the heart of qualification for public office.”

“This great nation can tolerate a president who makes mistakes,” Hatch said then. “But it cannot tolerate one who makes a mistake and then breaks the law to cover it up. Any other citizen would be prosecuted for these crimes.”

“The Democrats will do anything to hurt this president,” Utah Senator Orrin Hatch told CNN when asked if he was concerned about the allegations. When reporter Manu Raju reminded Hatch that it is not the Democrats, but the Southern District of New York, making the allegations, Hatch said, “I don’t care, all I can say is he’s doing a good job as president.”

I guess he's not an "Establishment or liberal Republican".

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
44 ex-Senators are saying...

Republican politicians have proven to be a "spineless bunch" over the 2 last years, turning their collective backs on every conservative principle that they were supposed to represent!

Most will be mercifully swept out of office in 2020!

Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,976.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
44 ex-Senators are saying...

Republican politicians have proven to be a "spineless bunch" over the 2 last years, turning their collective backs on every conservative principle that they were supposed to represent!

Most will be mercifully swept out of office in 2020!

While I agree with your sentiment I find this hard to credit. The odds are stacked to far in their favor.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married

To sum up:

If my boy does it, it's good.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

That's a pretty big well -- are you sure you brought enough poison?

Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0