Idaho
✟8,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Joseph Smith said "that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book," (History of the Church, vol. 4, p. 461). Allegedly it was translated by the power of God. Nevertheless, it has some 4,000 changes in it. Some are mere spelling corrections, but others are significant changes. Why is this so if the book of Mormon was translated accurately by the hand of God? Why would the Mormon Church continue to change the work even after Joseph Smith's death?

Some of the Many Changes in the Book of Mormon | CARM.org

• Informative
Reactions: Strathos

“Paisios”

Sinner
Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: Jane_Doe
Upvote 0

Solomon Smith

Sep 25, 2018
Idaho
✟8,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
The LDS Church provides some explanation on its official website...

I’m sure they do ^_^

They make excuses for all of their gross errors and heterodox teachings so why would this be any different.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
If you're willing to do a fair bit of reading, then FARMS has an explanation.

Book of Mormon/Textual changes - FairMormon

The gist of it is that the vast majority of the alleged 4000 changes are typographical in nature, the kind of things that even the Bible itself has had happen.

And as far as CARM goes, the National Enquirer has a better batting average. Slick is yet another self-professed "Good Christian" who isn't willing to let the facts get in the way of his narrative.

• Informative
Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0

Solomon Smith

Sep 25, 2018
Idaho
✟8,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
If you're willing to do a fair bit of reading, then FARMS has an explanation.

Book of Mormon/Textual changes - FairMormon

The gist of it is that the vast majority of the alleged 4000 changes are typographical in nature, the kind of things that even the Bible itself has had happen.

And as far as CARM goes, the National Enquirer has a better batting average. Slick is yet another self-professed "Good Christian" who isn't willing to let the facts get in the way of his narrative.

You have an excuse for everything don’t you? Even an excuse for 4000 changes. I guess if a person wants to convince themselves that something is true then they can.

Upvote 0

Solomon Smith

Sep 25, 2018
Idaho
✟8,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

Every time someone refutes your fairytale beliefs you initiate this kind of a smear campaign.

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟339,555.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
PS: There were zero changes made to the biblical text. The scribes had to copy the scriptures perfect.
Since there are in fact hundreds of thousands of differences between the many Biblical manuscripts, that is plainly impossible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
That’s not true. The majority of manuscripts are identical.

Uh, no.

Johannine Comma - Wikipedia

Entire passages of the Bible, such as the Johannine Comma (1 John 5:7-8), are suspect as they aren't present in earlier manuscripts; they were either scribal glosses or were otherwise inserted at later dates.

This caused quite a bit of controversy when we started seeing English translations that were not the KJV, as some of these newer translations either moved the suspect passages to the footnotes (like the RSV and its heirs) or ignored them entirely.

So yeah - not only do the various manuscripts disagree with each other quite a bit, some of these disagreements are pretty major. For example, I'd estimate that about 95% of the mainline Christians I've spoken with over the years could not defend the three-in-one concept of the Godhead without referencing the Comma.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟339,555.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That’s not true. The majority of manuscripts are identical.
Here's my copy of the Greek New Testament, opened to the page I happened to be translating currently. All of the footnotes at the bottom of the pages represent textual variants. These are only the major variants -- ones that occur in a lot of manuscripts, or in very early manuscripts. (Plus a few that occur in early quotations of the passage.) There are over 600 pages in this edition of the NT, and every page looks like this.
P1040291s.jpg

Upvote 0

Solomon Smith

Sep 25, 2018
Idaho
✟8,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Here's my copy of the Greek New Testament, opened to the page I happened to be translating currently. All of the footnotes at the bottom of the pages represent textual variants. These are only the major variants -- ones that occur in a lot of manuscripts, or in very early manuscripts. (Plus a few that occur in early quotations of the passage.) There are over 600 pages in this edition of the NT, and every page looks like this.
View attachment 242173

When scribes copied manuscripts if they made any mistakes they had to throw the whole thing away.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟339,555.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟339,555.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Read the book “God Breathed” by Josh McDowell.
I'd suggest instead reading something by someone who knows something about the subject. Try The Text of the New Testament by Bruce Metzger. It goes into great detail about the manuscripts, the kinds of scribal errors, the families of manuscripts, and the process by which scholar reconstruct what the original text said.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
I'd suggest instead reading something by someone who knows something about the subject. Try The Text of the New Testament by Bruce Metzger. It goes into great detail about the manuscripts, the kinds of scribal errors, the families of manuscripts, and the process by which scholar reconstruct what the original text said.

Any good New Testament survey class at any credible college should bring this up.

I know. I took one so I could understand the NT from the perspective of other people.

Upvote 0