• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

400,000 human embryos

Discussion in 'The Lord's Table - Liberal Catholics' started by Mountain_Girl406, May 19, 2017.

1. Mountain_Girl406

Mountain_Girl406 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,767
    Catholic
    Private
    US-Democrat
    I saw a thread today about Pope Francis' comments speaking against using human embryos for research. The thread took the direction of reflection of the Pope's comments in the context of traditional /liberal/pro life... but it got me thinking, what is the proper/ethical thing to do with frozen viable human embryos.

I did some looking, and in an article interestingly titled 'Souls on Ice', there was an estimate of 400,000 such embryos currently existing.

So from a pro life perspective, what should we be doing about these 400,000? It seems like an extremely difficult question to resolve.

2. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote Supporter

+5,151
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    People have fought over their custody in divorce proceedings, with one partner wanting to use the embryos and the other wanting them destroyed.

So obviously, legally, they are the property of the donor and nothing can be done without their release.

3. Mountain_Girl406

Mountain_Girl406 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,767
    Catholic
    Private
    US-Democrat
    Right, from the legal perspective they are property, but I'm more interested in wrestling with this from the pro life position. ..if they are babies, how do we resolve their presence?

4. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 World's Second-Worst Polemicist

+36
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Others
    I heard from a priest who teaches bioethics that the morally right thing to do is to sustain them until they expire semi-naturally. A quick google says this process takes about 25-30 years. Essentially similar to someone in a coma: do what will keep them alive for the natural course of things.

5. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote Supporter

+5,151
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    It's considered immoral to implant them.