✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, He commands us to forgive.

Ephesians 4:32 says, "forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you."

So, we are not told to forgive only as a gesture, or merely in order to make sure we don't miss out on being forgiven. But we are told to forgive . . . "even as God", which to me means in sharing with God in us changing our character so we are forgiving in the kind and generously forgiving and adoptive way that God has forgiven us.

And Jesus in His heart was suffering and dying with desire for us to be forgiven. So, right in His heart on Calvary, Jesus already forgave us.

But . . . there is the matter of character in every human. A person's character can make him or her unable to benefit from the forgiveness being offered but refused.

Look at how certain people do what is ruining them and their bodies. They need forgiveness, but discriminatory ministers are saying they do not need forgiveness. Right now, there is discrimination against certain wrong people, by saying they don't need to be forgiven, but are ok.

And those wrong people have the character to be fooled by this and miss out.

The forgiveness lives in God's love and Jesus Christ's way of loving. So, it is here, but ones keep refusing to trust in Jesus so they can be corrected and tuned in the wavelength of how God's love has us enjoying forgiveness while we give this to others.

You can't have this forgiveness without living it, I offer :)
So, God doesn't have to live by his own standard of righteousness?

Saint Steven said:
6. Does God ask us to forgive our enemies when He is ultimately not willing to do the same in the end?

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟470,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It was true at the time He said it. But we see that not only does He describe a growing kingdom, there’s other scriptures that show a tremendous amount of believers.
“For I am the LORD, I do not change Malachi 3:6

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God created even Satan with free will. No brainer, if Satan and his angels that followed him were created like robots, unable to rebel against God, then could his rebellion ever happen? No, of course not. The one asking this evidently forget to take Elementary Logic in school.
Where is the logic in creating an endless problem for yourself?

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Father and His Son about their final fate, 'they'... will choose to perish in the future lake of fire.
I think that is an Evangelical fallacy. No one chooses to go to hell.

• Agree
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How did you arrive at that conclusion?

Ezekiel 18

20 The soul who sins is the one who will die. A son will not bear the iniquity of his father, and a father will not bear the iniquity of his son. The righteousness of the righteous man will fall upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked man will fall upon him.

21 But if the wicked man turns from all the sins he has committed, keeps all My statutes, and does what is just and right, he will surely live; he will not die. 22 None of the transgressions he has committed will be held against him. Because of the righteousness he has practiced, he will live. 23 Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? declares the Lord GOD. Wouldn’t I prefer that he turn from his ways and live?

Romans 6:23

"For the wages of sin is death, but the GIFT of God is everlasting life in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 6:23

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Loaded question, as many of these are. All one need do is ask God forgiveness through His Son Jesus Christ, and change one's way towards Faith and action in Him. Then one becomes a child of God. But rebel, wanting to be your 'own' god, and what else can He do but cast you out? Why should He share His throne with the likes of one who wants to take over His throne? Satan tried, and look where it got him, as he is already judged and sentenced to perish in the future lake of fire. Those who do what he did deserve to perish with him. So it's Nahum 1:9 again for the rebellious.
Loaded question? Not really.

"Does God ask us to forgive our enemies when He is ultimately not willing to do the same in the end?"

Jesus taught us to love our enemies. (vs 44) And declared it as perfect godly behavior. (vs 48) Is God incapable of living up to his own standard?

Matthew 5:43-48 NIV
“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor" and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ezekiel 18

20 The soul who sins is the one who will die. A son will not bear the iniquity of his father, and a father will not bear the iniquity of his son. The righteousness of the righteous man will fall upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked man will fall upon him.

21 But if the wicked man turns from all the sins he has committed, keeps all My statutes, and does what is just and right, he will surely live; he will not die. 22 None of the transgressions he has committed will be held against him. Because of the righteousness he has practiced, he will live. 23 Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? declares the Lord GOD. Wouldn’t I prefer that he turn from his ways and live?

Romans 6:23

"For the wages of sin is death, but the GIFT of God is everlasting life in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 6:23
So, you don't believe in an afterlife? (Luke 20:38)

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
So (truthfully wondering as to your response) ... why does Jesus imply otherwise, when He says that many walk the broad path which lead to destruction ... while few walk the path which leads to life ?
Jesus never really answers the question of how many will be saved. He turns it around and challenges the questioner to be faithful.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus never really answers the question of how many will be saved. He turns it around and challenges the questioner to be faithful.
As I recall, whether the destruction is in this life, or the age to come, is not specified. Most apply it to the afterlife. (which may not be warranted)

• Agree
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus seems pretty definite ... when he speaks of the broad and narrow roads, ... but I confess that the idea that people may change the road upon which they travel .... is a fresh perspective.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
As I recall, whether the destruction is in this life, or the age to come, is not specified. Most apply it to the afterlife. (which may not be warranted)
I think Jesus is clearly talking about salvation. To echo Hammsters point, the longer version in Luke 13:22 makes it sound like it is directed against people at the time who personally rejected him. In the end people will come from all over. I think it ends on an optimistic note. Of course Luke tends to be more optimistic than Matthew. For another example, see Luke 14:15, the great banquet. In Luke, while many of the original guests are rejected, in the end everybody is brought in. In Matthew that ending is omitted. Probably because Matthew was concerned about faithfulness of a community under some level of opposition. For him, billions of followers of Jesus in the future isn't relevant. But Luke looked at the broader picture of the growing Gentile mission. Luke is probably closer to answering the question of whether many are saved.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you believe in a forever burning hell, there will be conclusion to the matter. Who is the winner in that scenario?
What do you mean by "there will be conclusion to the matter". May be you mean there will be no conclusion if hell never ends.

But there does not need to be a conclusion. I understand that hell is for holding the spirit of evil and the beings who are full of that spirit, so the spirit of evil and its beings are under management and kept in order. And fire is the only thing which can control ones of such a stubborn spirit. Look at how ones actually witnessed Jesus doing wonders; yet, they still wanted to kill Jesus. This is how unreasonable humans in selfishness can become. And you have seen how ones can keep doing what they even know is bad for them. This is because of how stubbornly stupid Satan's spirit is. So, fire is needed to keep control of it and its people, and keep it from spreading to others.

And Satan and his spirit will not change; so there will always be need of hell.

So, of course, those who stay with Satan do not win.

But Jesus on the cross has won, and He shares His victory with whoever trusts in Jesus. Jesus has power to turn people "from the power of Satan to God" > in Acts 26:18.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, God doesn't have to live by his own standard of righteousness?
He does; nowhere did I say otherwise.

What I said is God wants us to forgive like He does. And Jesus died in order for all to be forgiven. But humans refuse to live in God's love where His forgiveness is ready and waiting.

It's like how I can give seed to birds, but if they don't come and eat the seed . . . I have given it, even so.

Humans have Jesus on the cross with their forgiveness waiting for them, in His heart. But they are refusing the forgiveness, by being unforgiving and by picking and choosing who they consider to be worth loving > this keeps them out of God's all-loving love where His way of forgiveness lives >

"if you love those who love you, what reward have you?" Jesus Himself says in Matthew 5:46.

Another thing > God's focus is to have many children who are like Jesus >

"For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren." (Romans 8:29)

God's forgiveness is not only a legal pardon, but a stepping stone to becoming conformed to the image of Jesus, so we can share eternity with Jesus and one another in His way of family caring and sharing love > Ephesians 4:31-32 < and we start to prepare for this now.

So, God is not only offering forgiveness just so you can go to Heaven, but so you may enter His process of becoming like Jesus and loving like Jesus, both now and later. So, if ones only want forgiveness so they won't go to hell, they are seeking much less than the forgiveness which God has ready for us.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,556.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
On what basis?
Doesn't the broad way lead to destruction?
For the Jews Jesus was talking to, yes. But the kingdom of God will ultimately be massive. Check out Matthew 13 for starters.

• Agree
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For the Jews Jesus was talking to, yes. But the kingdom of God will ultimately be massive. Check out Matthew 13 for starters.
I agree. But I wasn't sure if you meant that. Thanks.

Upvote 0