Dec 8, 2007
✟827,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Well, I came upon some .40 brass a while back and thought might as well keep it as I like my 9mm and I like my .45; I would likely like .40 too. Over time, it kept trickling in, then two weeks ago I bought a second container full of .45 range brass from an estate that a local dealer was clearing out. The first one I got at a great price hand had over 1000 pieces of brass. The second one, there was less than 50 .45 hulls on top, and over 1000 .40 in a bag underneath. I started looking....

I presently have 2 Norinco pistols; 9mm and .45, and two rifles; all of which are reliable and acurate shooters ( the pistols did require a lot of tuning and polishing, but am an engineer who does a lot of tool, die and mold work and love tinkering). My 9 is a NZ85; my .45 is a 5" 1911A1, so since I don't have a Sig type pistol, I was looking for a NP58.

I noticed over the last few months that dealers were becoming sold out, and more that were left were being discounted to varying degrees. Lately, I noticed that discounts were becoming deeper (as it seems, public interest is waining in the .40s; even Glocks can be had very cheap right now) , most dealers that still have stock were offering theirs for $339.00-449.00 Canadian; brand new in a hard case, with two mags.

Fast forward to Friday, and I opened and email from one dealer announcing their Family Day sale (another 14%). I ran it by the wife yesterday, and she told me to buy it NOW! Not to defy her, I did just that!

All in, free shipping and tax $338.05.

Now I wait!!!

If anyone wants to venture into the realm of .40 cal; this is a great entry level way to do it; and they have more of them too!

Now, I have to buy dies and bullets!!

NP58.jpg

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I like .40 S&W in everything but Glocks. For some reason, the Glock design transfers more felt energy into the shooter. And it's the Glock models made specifically for .40; the G22, G35, G27. My G29, which has a wider grip, is comfortable to shoot .40 S&W in when I install the Lone Wolf conversion barrel.

I think the bad reputation that .40 S&W has received is due to Glock.

I have found it to be a very versatile and accurate round.

My favorite powders are Winchester 231 and Tite Group using Hornady XTP bullets. Been trying out some Berry's Bullets and Speer TMJs. Hornady's are still more accurate, but pretty spendy.

Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Here in Ontario Canada our Provincial Police currently carry the Sig in .40, as do the Conservation Officers; most are angry that they will be forced to go to the Glock 9mm this coming year. The RCMP has already switched, and our military will be transitioning from the last High Powers and 9mm Berettas to Glocks.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I found a set of just like new in the box Lee Carbide dies from a nice older Christian gentleman in a nearby city. $25.00; these normally sell for about $60 new up here. He bought them, loaded only a few shells; realized how much he was shooting, and bought a big, fancy Dillon set-up with dies. Now, I just need bullets; and am still waiting on the registration transfer. Checked yesterday and they told me they are back logged, and it could be 2-3 more weeks.

Upvote 0

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Scary how difficult it is to just enjoy target shooting up there. And expensive.

I bought my Lee dies off of Amazon for $25 brand new. How does that work for Canada? Can't you just order items from Amazon?

How expensive are bullets? I can buy Hornady XTP hollow points for $20 for 100 from WalMart. Bought 250 Berry's bullets from Midway for $50.

Or could you cast bullets?

I've had good success casting my own bullets. You can find everything you need on Amazon. The Lee molds are $25, the melting pot is around $60, lead is under $30 for a few pounds, you need a ladle and some bullet lube and you are good to go.

These are the two that I use in my .40 S&W guns. One is a 145 grain and the other is a 180 grain.

IMG_20180106_094024892.jpg

Casting bullets is fun and therapeutic for me... This is my set up...

IMG_20161006_194744483.jpg

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Scary how difficult it is to just enjoy target shooting up there. And expensive.

I bought my Lee dies off of Amazon for $25 brand new. How does that work for Canada? Can't you just order items from Amazon?

How expensive are bullets? I can buy Hornady XTP hollow points for $20 for 100 from WalMart. Bought 250 Berry's bullets from Midway for $50.

Or could you cast bullets?

I've had good success casting my own bullets. You can find everything you need on Amazon. The Lee molds are $25, the melting pot is around $60, lead is under $30 for a few pounds, you need a ladle and some bullet lube and you are good to go.

These are the two that I use in my .40 S&W guns. One is a 145 grain and the other is a 180 grain.

View attachment 221909

Casting bullets is fun and therapeutic for me... This is my set up...

View attachment 221910
Factory ammo is a lot more expensive up here, but bullets not a lot different; those Hornadys at Cabellas are $30.00 Can$, about $22 US. Berry's CPRN at Bullseye in London (I was there yesterday) $140 Can/1000; seems we are getting a real deal; I bought Canadian hard cast sized and lubed DRG bullets at Gobel's in London also yesterday for $60.00 for 500; I got 500 180 gr flat point (look exactly like your on the Right:
13-10mm-40cal-SWC-FB-155gr.jpg

and 500 of the 180 gr. round nose flat point:
18-44-40-RNFP-BB-200gr.jpg

I'm going to try both profiles with different loads as I shoot for accuracy, not power. I am going to load some hotter ones just for fun though!

We can also get Canadian made die formed, copper plated, and resized Campro bullest; they are about the same as Berry's, very consistent, and sell for the same money. The majority of target shooters in our area are using flat points of some kind or semi-wadcutters, they claim they are the most accurate, and cite the flat point and the lube grove making the bullet longer for the same weight than a copper plated round nose; giving more rifling engagement and slightly better ballistic coefficient; who am I to argue. lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Servant68
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It is here! I picked it up at the post office this morning; after a rigorous cleaning, off to the range with a "ship-load" of various home-loads; but I am getting ahead of myself.

20180316_111711[1].jpg

20180316_114030.jpg

I got it decreased and cleaned up:
20180316_114030.jpg
20180316_122635.jpg

Off to the range!

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
My hand hurts; fired off 350-400 rounds of various home loads. Surprisingly comfortable; less recoil than my .45, but more painful (lighter frame I would guess). For the first day out, I shot OK with it:

20180316_142705.jpg

20 yards, 16" x 16" Paper.

I'm trying to figure out how to post a video.

Anyway, the truncated cone fed better than the round nose flat point. The feed ramp needs a bit of attention; but it did feed well, handled well, sights were very visible... I like it.

I find the long takeup on the trigger took a bit of getting on too; it felt very much like a Beretta; double action was long and creepy and could use a bit of attention.

Not bad for <$300.00 Canadian; a bit over 200 US.. It's a keeper!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
What is the best way to degrease a factory packaged SKS full of cosmilene ? Man they go overboard with this stuff and it is thick as peanut butter lol
I have found what works best for me is a product called "Gunzilla"; it is a non toxic solven/lube/rust preventative. Strip the gun down and put it on an old towel; soak it with Gunzilla, let it sit for a half hour, and just wipe the goop off. Swab out where ever you can and use cotton swabs to get in the little spots.

It also pulls it out of the wood and will not harm the finish on the wood. Traditional Russian finish on stocks is orange shellac; easy to touch up, but don't use alcohol to clean the stock as this will dissolve the finish. Wipe the gas piston and tube dry before reassembly; oil in the gas tube will burn and leave carbon and may eventually fowl up the works.

I have also found that Gunzilla melts the residue left from corrosive surplus ammo and it just runs out of the gun.

Buy a sight tool, consider bedding the action, and despite what others say they are pretty accurate! I can hit an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper consistently at 100 yards without my prescription glasses, and I could not even see the 3" black spot in the middle. I'm waiting on warmer weather to try with my glasses on!

Upvote 0

Southernscotty

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2018
Arkansas
✟504,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Celibate
I have found what works best for me is a product called "Gunzilla"; it is a non toxic solven/lube/rust preventative. Strip the gun down and put it on an old towel; soak it with Gunzilla, let it sit for a half hour, and just wipe the goop off. Swab out where ever you can and use cotton swabs to get in the little spots.

It also pulls it out of the wood and will not harm the finish on the wood. Traditional Russian finish on stocks is orange shellac; easy to touch up, but don't use alcohol to clean the stock as this will dissolve the finish. Wipe the gas piston and tube dry before reassembly; oil in the gas tube will burn and leave carbon and may eventually fowl up the works.

I have also found that Gunzilla melts the residue left from corrosive surplus ammo and it just runs out of the gun.

Buy a sight tool, consider bedding the action, and despite what others say they are pretty accurate! I can hit an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper consistently at 100 yards without my prescription glasses, and I could not even see the 3" black spot in the middle. I'm waiting on warmer weather to try with my glasses on!
Thank you, I have shot many of them before and kinda like them. I have a friend with one still in styrofoam packing and I saw it and thought oh boy this will be fun to clean. lol We will try Gunzilla
I always wanted to kill a deer with the 7.62x39, just once anyway to see how it would perform on it.
I was shopping not long ago and ran across a 452 CZ 7.62x39 bolt action that I loved the feel of, so I picked it up, Boy it shoots great. I guess I would say that they compare very closely to a 30-30 Win on the range and I would say from 150 yards and in it would be optimal as a brush gun.
I put a simple weaver 4x scope on it and am pleased.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟827,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, I have shot many of them before and kinda like them. I have a friend with one still in styrofoam packing and I saw it and thought oh boy this will be fun to clean. lol We will try Gunzilla
I always wanted to kill a deer with the 7.62x39, just once anyway to see how it would perform on it.
I was shopping not long ago and ran across a 452 CZ 7.62x39 bolt action that I loved the feel of, so I picked it up, Boy it shoots great. I guess I would say that they compare very closely to a 30-30 Win on the range and I would say from 150 yards and in it would be optimal as a brush gun.
I put a simple weaver 4x scope on it and am pleased.
Performace should be similar to .30-.30. Perfect deer round IMO.

Upvote 0