The Shires
✟197,596.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think most of us have been told Jesus was three days and three nights in the Tomb before being raised from the dead. Consider what Jesus said about this when comparing his ordeal with Jonah being in the belly of the whale.

The crucifixion of Jesus caught all his disciples by surprise even though he had told them in advance. The trial began during Thursday night. He was crucified early Friday morning. The sky became dark around mid-day and he gave up is spirit at the third hour.

Jesus's body was left on the cross until Joseph got permission from Pontius Pilate who was stationed in Jerusalem. This took two journeys from the hill of the Skull since Pilate questioned if Jesus was really dead by sending one of his soldiers to see if it was really true. Jesus was taken down from the cross after this delay.

There was no time for proper burial such as embalming the body. Jesus was put in the tomb and the stone was rolled to close the tomb. From death to midnight was 9 hours.

The next day was the Sabbath - the women were unable to buy spices and other items to give Jesus the proper burial custom at death. Another 24 hours would pass before they could do this.

The women arrived at Sunrise the third day. Sunrise at Jerusalem is approximately 6.30 am this time of year. This would add another 6.30 - 7 hours to the total time Jesus was in the tomb.

The maths therefore add up to 9+24+7 = 40 hours in the tomb?

Last edited:

FIRESTORM314

Site Supporter
Feb 20, 2018
The Shires
✟197,596.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeshua died about the 9th hour (3 PM in the afternoon)

The third hour in the bible translation I used does mean 3pm. The question was, does the hours add up to 40? ( Friday 3pm, All Day Saturday and Sunday morning ) The women would have set out at sunrise and possibly reached the tomb some time later than this to find the tomb empty with the stone rolled away. They had been debating on the way to the tomb how and who was going to roll the stone away.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FIRESTORM314

Site Supporter
Feb 20, 2018
The Shires
✟197,596.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matt 17:23 And they shall kill him, and the THIRD DAY day He shall be raised again. And they were exceeding sorry.

Friday
Saturday
Sunday the 3rd day

I Agree - see above. How many hours?

Upvote 0

FIRESTORM314

Site Supporter
Feb 20, 2018
The Shires
✟197,596.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How many hours?

What does it matter?

Better Questions:

What was His form?

Where was He?

(Descended into Abraham's Busom?)

Die on "Thursday" or "Friday" 3pm?

The three day and three night question/debate keeps popping with some very complex arguments and calculations to try and solve it - I just offered a different perspective on it - a very simple one.

There are indeed many other questions that one can ask. Such a question is how many people did Jesus save through is death?

Mathew quoted part of Zechariah in his Gospel.

Zechariah 13

Awake, O sword, against My Shepherd, And against the man, My Associate," Declares the LORD of hosts. "Strike the Shepherd that the sheep may be scattered; And I will turn My hand against the little ones. 8"It will come about in all the land," Declares the LORD, "That two parts in it will be cut off and perish; But the THIRD will be left in it. 9"And I will bring the THIRD part through the fire, Refine them as silver is refined, And test them as gold is tested. They will call on My name, And I will answer them; I will say, 'They are My people,' And they will say, 'The LORD is my God.'"…

What Say Ye?

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Q: how many people did Jesus save through His death?

A: All are called/drawn to accept / reject spiritually the substitutionary atonement of Jesus the Divine Messiah.

Romans 10:13
for “Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

1 Peter 3:18 -
"For Christ also died FOR sins once FOR all,
the righteous (Jesus) FOR the unrighteous (Man),
that he might bring us (accepting believers) to God" (reconciliation)

The NEW Covenant!...substitutionary atonement.

Matthew 26:28
for this is My blood of the (NEW) covenant, which is poured out FOR many FOR forgiveness of sins.
26 While they were eating, Jesus took some bread, and after a blessing, He broke it and gave it to the disciples,
and said, “Take, eat; this is (represents) My body.”

Mark 14:24
And He said to them, “This is My blood of the (NEW) covenant, which is poured out FOR many.
22 While they were eating, He took some bread, and after a blessing He broke it, and gave it to them,
and said, “Take it; this is (represents) My body.”

Luke 22:20
And in the same way He took the cup after they had eaten, saying,
“This cup which is poured out FOR you is the NEW covenant IN My blood.

1 Corinthians 11:25
In the same way He took the cup also after supper, saying,
“This cup is the new covenant in My blood; do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.”

Hebrews 9:15
For this reason He is the mediator of a new covenant,
so that, since a death has taken place for the redemption of the transgressions that were committed under the first covenant,
those who have been called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance.

Hebrews 12:24
and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood, which speaks better than the blood of Abel.

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if anyone is IN Christ, he is a new creature;
the old things passed away;
behold, new things have come.

Upvote 0