Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The 40 days is an interim period. When the Hebrews exited Egypt they spent 40 years In the desert before entering the promised land. After His death and ressurection Jesus shown himself for 40 days before ascending into heaven. The 40 days can even be seen as preparatory for a new chapter. After His baptism but before Christ began his ministry he went into the desert and fasted for 40 days. Likewise in Lent we prepare and anticipate the Pascha. Orthodoxy there are 3rd, 9th and 40th day memorials of mourning remembering the deceased.
There are some non-doctrinal pious opinions but not necessarily endorsed by the Church. Such as the soul may linger and visit places and even console the living members. That the ascent to heaven is roughly 40 days etc. But these are opinions not official teaching.

Reactions: Nettle
Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
it is believed the soul sticks around places it was close to in this life.

This just confirms what I have pretty much always known. Even before I was Christian I had certain experiences I simply could not explain.

Reactions: buzuxi02
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
it is believed the soul sticks around places it was close to in this life.

This just confirms what I have pretty much always known. Even before I was Christian I had certain experiences I simply could not explain.
It explains something that happened to me when I was a child, a few days after my mother’s death, as well. Interesting.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

just be careful when it comes to that. the demons know how to use death to mess with us.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It explains something that happened to me when I was a child, a few days after my mother’s death, as well. Interesting.

see the post above. the enemy knows how to use paranormal stuff to get us off track.

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
see the post above. the enemy knows how to use paranormal stuff to get us off track.
Thank you for the warning, Father.

The incident of which I am thinking happened more than 40 years ago, and was interesting and comforting, but I think left no harm or other lasting effect, and certainly not more than a passing thought these days.

Discernment, prayer and spiritual guidance would seem to be necessary when dealing with such things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums