4 women fined, sentenced to probation for leaving water for migrants crossing US-Mexico border

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A federal judge sentenced four women to 15 months probation and a $250 fine each on Friday as a result of charges stemming from leaving out jugs of water and cans of beans for migrants crossing the U.S.-Mexico border.

The women were convicted in January of operating a vehicle without a permit at the Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge in southwestern Arizona. They were also convicted of entering a wildlife refuge without a permit and abandonment of property after a U.S. Fish and Wildlife officer stopped them in August 2017.

The women -- Natalie Hoffman, Oona Holcomb, Madeline Huse and Zaachila Orozco-McCormick -- all volunteer for the organization No More Deaths, which is dedicated to saving the lives of immigrants crossing into the United States illegally.

"The border crisis in this country is a matter of life and death," Huse said in a statement from the organization after the sentencing. "History will not favor those on the wrong side of it. Our border policy continues to push people into remote and dangerous parts of the desert."

More at link:

4 women fined, sentenced to probation for leaving water for migrants crossing US-Mexico border

JazzHands

Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2018
Merseyside
✟59,314.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Criminalizing compassion? Doesn’t seem like something Christians should be applauding.
Short term compassion, long term irresponsibility. Like selling the family silver to ease your own conscience.

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah aiding and abetting known fugitives does get you punished. And this is just proof of that, not to mention they broke the law to do it. I saw a report where the old head of ICE (I think it was) said that 1/3 of the migrant women get raped by the traffickers. And some of the migrants are known murderers. MS-13 members and such.

What a mess, what a mess :( Really an all around ugly affair. One that can easily be criticized on both sides of the fence probably.

Upvote 0

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: gordonhooker
Upvote 0

JazzHands

Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2018
Merseyside
✟59,314.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Or, Trump’s border policies are driving desperate people to take more dangerous routes.

Advocates: Trump policies are causing surge in illegal border crossing

Your statement makes it sound like you are ok with people dying in the desert as long as the wall gets built.
More dangerous routes to the same destination? The point here is that they're not going through conventional legal channels. If they're refugees, they can seek asylum, if they're economic migrants, they can apply for a visa. It's as simple as that.

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
More dangerous routes to the same destination? The point here is that they're not going through conventional legal channels. If they're refugees, they can seek asylum, if they're economic migrants, they can apply for a visa. It's as simple as that.

I agree because the alternative is allowing dangerous fugitives to cross the border, not to mention the self infliction they do by attempting to cross the borders. It's just dangerous and they get raped by traffickers. When I used to live next to the border in California, I used to hear how they would find dead families of immigrants in the desert areas, that ran out of water. Water doesn't last long in that kind of climate. And you can't carry enough.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Criminalizing compassion? Doesn’t seem like something Christians should be applauding.
What's compassionate about what the four convicted criminals did?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married

People were going through legal channels until Trump made those channels harder to access. Just like the article I posted says.

What's compassionate about what the four convicted criminals did?

Giving water to the thirsty.

Matthew 25:34-40
34“Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35‘For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; 36naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.’ 37“Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? 38‘And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? 39‘When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40“The King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.’

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Reading stories of Christian compassion toward the poor and needy like this one reminds me of Jesus' Parable of the Sheep and Goats. I remember what He said to the sheep on His right and what He said to the goats. He was very clear when He said, “‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’" I'm not a goat. I feel too much compassion to be coldhearted and turn away from people who are poor and in need, legal immigrants or not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

34“Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35‘For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; 36naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.’ 37“Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? 38‘And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? 39‘When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40“The King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.’

Great minds think alike.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
People were going through legal channels until Trump made those channels harder to access.
President Trump has the right to set certain immigration policies as he sees fit. Non-Americans do not have a right to come to America.

Is this "compassion" more valuable than the lives which those illegal immigrants may take once they've arrived in the US?

Upvote 0

JazzHands

Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2018
Merseyside
✟59,314.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
People were going through legal channels until Trump made those channels harder to access. Just like the article I posted says.

It's easy to be charitable when you're not in a position of responsibility - something I think any patriarch or matriarch knows all too well. Trump is hated because he's trying to implement what is necessary, not what is 'kind', just as nature does and, by way of a cross-reference to another thread I've been engaged in, not what God does. I didn;t arrive at the place I'm at now because God laid down a path of rose petals for me, I got here because I was forced to confront my weaknesses. Nature sets the tempo and we must all follow and keep up. Philanthropists have big hearts but they don't seem to engage their prefrontal cortexes much.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,513.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
"The women were convicted in January of operating a vehicle without a permit at the Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge in southwestern Arizona. They were also convicted of entering a wildlife refuge without a permit and abandonment of property..."

...not convicted of leaving water. There's so much of this we should ask CF to create a new forum called "Fake News" where all this kind of stuff can be dumped.

Also, the women should be fired and subjected to a social media firestorm for leaving beans. That's racist.

Upvote 0

JazzHands

Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2018
Merseyside
✟59,314.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
"The women were convicted in January of operating a vehicle without a permit at the Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge in southwestern Arizona. They were also convicted of entering a wildlife refuge without a permit and abandonment of property..."

...not convicted of leaving water. There's so much of this we should ask CF to create a new forum called "Fake News" where all this kind of stuff can be dumped.

Also, the women should be fired and subjected to a social media firestorm for leaving beans. That's racist.
Ironically, I DO believe that the charges have been exaggerated and there's little basis for a criminal case here but I've tried to focus on the macro politics rather than this obviously engineered pretext for political radicalisation!

Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You know, if these four women had owned a Christian business and they had discriminated against a same-sex couple on the basis that serving the couple would have violated their Christian beliefs that these four women would be praised and not condemned by right wing Christians or if these women had been like Judge Roy Moore and had refused to remove a Ten Commandments monument on the basis of their religious convictions and religious liberty that they would have been praised and not condemned by right wing Christians. I'm sure we would have heard that these women were in the right to disobey man's law, so they could follow and honor their Christian convictions. I think that they should have claimed that they were following their Christian convictions of compassion and mercy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JazzHands

Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2018
Merseyside
✟59,314.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You know, if these four women had owned a Christian business and they had discriminated against a same-sex couple on the grounds that serving the couple would have violated their Christian beliefs that these four women would be praised and commended and not condemned by right wing Christians or if these four women had been like Roy Moore and had refused to remove a Ten Commandments monument on the grounds of their religious convictions and religious liberty that they would have been praised and commended by right wing Christians.
Shiloh... the tabloid press doth know how to excite the passions. I fall for it all the time, god forgive me but let's both of us try not to be so easily manipulated in future. To be sure, the issue of border control does need to be addressed but not at the expense of reason. <high fives>

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You know, if these four women had owned a Christian business and they had discriminated against a same-sex couple on the basis that serving the couple would have violated their Christian beliefs that these four women would be praised and commended and not condemned by right wing Christians
Is such a thing a violation of US immigration law?

or if these four women had been like Judge Roy Moore and had refused to remove a Ten Commandments monument on the basis of their religious convictions and religious liberty that they would have been praised and commended by right wing Christians.
Ibid.

Upvote 0