Profile of PersecutionMethodology
Violence 72%
Church Life 96%
National Life 94%
Community Life 85%
Family Life 87%
Private Life 85%
Where Persecution Comes From

The Christian persecution in Sudan mainly stems from the government and radical Islam, systematic in nature and reminiscent of ethnic cleansing. Under the authoritarian rule of President al-Bashir and his party, there is no rule of law in the country. Press and media laws are highly restrictive, while freedom of expression has been curtailed drastically. The government strives to maintain a policy favoring one religion, one culture and one language. Because Islam is so deeply embedded in Sudanese society, many Christians have chosen to move to South Sudan since the declaration of its independence in 2011.

How Christians are Suffering
This is an incredibly difficult time for Christians in Sudan. They are losing churches they have gathered and worshipped in for years. The government regularly arrests and intimidates Christian leaders and has demanded on at least one occasion that leadership be handed over to a government-supported committee. When interacting with Sudanese Muslims, Christians must be extremely cautious, as any mention of their faith can be construed as an “act that encourages apostasy against Islam.” Some Christians are arrested on charges of espionage, and many churches have been demolished, with others on an official list awaiting demolition. In areas with ongoing conflict, Christians are attacked indiscriminately.

Examples
In the WWL 2018 reporting period, the government closed down more than 20 churches.

In the same period, at least three Christians were killed, although exact numbers have been difficult to obtain.

Share Your Comment

Pray for Sudan
  • Pray for Christians in Sudan who face intense oppression and persecution. Pray for protection and opportunities to fellowship with other believers. Pray also for church leaders to stand strong amidst pressure that Islamic extremists place on their churches.
  • Please pray that the Sudanese government will become more accepting of Christianity and allow freedom of religion.
  • The government in Sudan is one of the most dictatorial regimes in Africa. Please pray for the Lord’s work in the hearts of Sudanese leaders, and that the Holy Spirit would convict them to bring justice and peace to the country.

Sudan Photo Gallery

Stories from Sudan
July 29, 2018
Pray With Christians Reeling From Deadly Attacks on Christian College in South Sudan
Pray with Christians in Sudan in the aftermath of deadly terror attacks on Emmanuel Christian College.

+ READ MORE

January 19, 2018
Faith in the Crossfire–How Sudanese Believers Are Living Boldly in a Deadly Culture
Persecution is especially harsh in the Nuba Mountains, home to the Nuba people. These believers continue to hope and pray…

+ READ MORE

January 10, 2018
215 Million Believers Face Persecution for Their Faith in Christ
The release of the 2018 World Watch List confirms what we've seen and shared over the past year. Our brothers…

+ READ MORE

LOAD MORE STORIES

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sudan
DOWNLOAD FACT SHEET DOWNLOAD FULL REPORT

Sudan Facts
Score: 87 / 100
Region: Africa
Persecution Type: Islamic Oppression
Persecution Level: Extreme
Population: 42,166,000
Christians: 1,996,000
Main Religion: Islam
Government: Presidential Republic
Leader: President Omar Hassan Ahmad al-Bashir
Profile of PersecutionMethodology
Violence 72%
Church Life 96%
National Life 94%
Community Life 85%
Family Life 87%
Private Life 85%
Where Persecution Comes From

The Christian persecution in Sudan mainly stems from the government and radical Islam, systematic in nature and reminiscent of ethnic cleansing. Under the authoritarian rule of President al-Bashir and his party, there is no rule of law in the country. Press and media laws are highly restrictive, while freedom of expression has been curtailed drastically. The government strives to maintain a policy favoring one religion, one culture and one language. Because Islam is so deeply embedded in Sudanese society, many Christians have chosen to move to South Sudan since the declaration of its independence in 2011.

How Christians are Suffering
This is an incredibly difficult time for Christians in Sudan. They are losing churches they have gathered and worshipped in for years. The government regularly arrests and intimidates Christian leaders and has demanded on at least one occasion that leadership be handed over to a government-supported committee. When interacting with Sudanese Muslims, Christians must be extremely cautious, as any mention of their faith can be construed as an “act that encourages apostasy against Islam.” Some Christians are arrested on charges of espionage, and many churches have been demolished, with others on an official list awaiting demolition. In areas with ongoing conflict, Christians are attacked indiscriminately.

Examples
In the WWL 2018 reporting period, the government closed down more than 20 churches.

In the same period, at least three Christians were killed, although exact numbers have been difficult to obtain.

Share Your Comment

Pray for Sudan
  • Pray for Christians in Sudan who face intense oppression and persecution. Pray for protection and opportunities to fellowship with other believers. Pray also for church leaders to stand strong amidst pressure that Islamic extremists place on their churches.
  • Please pray that the Sudanese government will become more accepting of Christianity and allow freedom of religion.
  • The government in Sudan is one of the most dictatorial regimes in Africa. Please pray for the Lord’s work in the hearts of Sudanese leaders, and that the Holy Spirit would convict them to bring justice and peace to the country.

Sudan Photo Gallery

Stories from Sudan
July 29, 2018
Pray With Christians Reeling From Deadly Attacks on Christian College in South Sudan
Pray with Christians in Sudan in the aftermath of deadly terror attacks on Emmanuel Christian College.

+ READ MORE

January 19, 2018
Faith in the Crossfire–How Sudanese Believers Are Living Boldly in a Deadly Culture
Persecution is especially harsh in the Nuba Mountains, home to the Nuba people. These believers continue to hope and pray…

+ READ MORE

January 10, 2018
215 Million Believers Face Persecution for Their Faith in Christ
The release of the 2018 World Watch List confirms what we've seen and shared over the past year. Our brothers…

+ READ MORE

LOAD MORE STORIES
Lord, have mercy.

Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,683.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
A Jewel of Sudan

I met one time a refugee a Lost Boy from Sudan
A handsome and a gentle soul who said his name was Kahn
Standing over 6' tall his skin was like charcoal
His eyes and teeth were white as snow I'm sure so was his soul

He'd not have said to me a word unless I dared to ask
Reluctantly he shared with me his wounded brutal past
I was aware of many things the Sudanese had seen
Both He and I did wonder why we failed to intervene

I asked Him where his family was if they too did survive
He told me that he did not know if they were still alive
He told when the soldiers came how they did maim and kill
As he described the horrors there my eyes began to fill

He told me in his county that 2 million souls have died
Because they chose to follow Christ, their own lives they denied
He told me that the soldiers said to allah they must bow
He knew that he could not do this he must escape somehow

He said he wound up in Kenya a mission took him in
Now orphaned in a foreign land new life must now begin
He said he went through all of this when he was only seven
Truly God has set aside for him a special place in Heaven

What did impress me most of all was that his heart not hard
His love for God and faith in Christ he could not just discard
I never could imagine how nor can it be explained
How one could suffer through so much his heart remain unstained

Kahn Kai is just one precious soul that God ordained I meet
Once I had heard what he'd been through my trials can't compete
So next time that you're feeling down remember my friend Kahn
America is truly blessed unlike those in Sudan.

You may be wise beyond your years but still your years are few
Consider all you've learned till now then multiply by two
You can't replace experience life's lessons just take time
Time is you see what separates mere grape juice and fine wine

author:
@ydouxist

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Heavenly Father, I lift up all the suffering saints in Sudan and their families, along with our sister's ministry to you in prayer. In Jesus's blessed and Holy Name, I pray, Amen.

Upvote 0

chuckpeterson

Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2018
texas
✟134,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
This is an incredibly difficult time for Christians

Off topic but still this is for you------------

Article Six of the United States Constitutionestablishes the laws and treaties of the United States made in accordance with it as the supreme law of the land, forbids a religious test as a requirement for holding a governmental position and holds the United States under the Constitution responsible for debts incurred by the United States under the Articles of Confederation

• Informative
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0