Profile of Persecution Methodology
Violence 2%
Church Life 73%
National Life 65%
Community Life 69%
Family Life 75%
Private Life 80%

Where Persecution Comes From

In Kuwait, Christians experience persecution at all levels of society, including government, local communities and even their families. Because no religion aside from Islam is considered an acceptable faith, life for Christians is dangerous, especially for Christian converts. Kuwaiti society is bound by conservative Islamic norms, and these norms are enforced by ordinary citizens, radical Islamic groups and a government that bows to the demands of radical groups so long as the government maintains its power base. Constitutionally, religious freedom is provided for as long as it doesn’t violate Islamic rules and customs–leaving little space for Christians to live out their lives in the public sphere.

How Christians are Suffering
While all Christians experience faith-related restrictions in Kuwait, expatriate Christians are relatively free to worship informally. However, they have a difficult time securing places for worship and are often pitted against each other to gain access to church buildings for legal worship. Meanwhile, converts from Islam endure the worst persecution, both from their local communities and family members pressuring them to recant their faith. They experience discrimination, harassment, police surveillance and intimidation by vigilante groups, as well as legal problems related to personal status and property. Despite this persecution, reports of Christians being killed, imprisoned or harmed for their faith are rare.

Examples
In all state and private schools, the government mandates Islamic religious instruction for all students. Teaching Christianity is prohibited, even to legally recognized Christian groups.

Amnesty International recently highlighted Kuwait’s tightened restrictions surrounding the freedom of expression, particularly in the form of a new cybercrime law that penalizes criticism of the government, judiciary and other key groups with up to 10 years’ imprisonment.

In the same report, Amnesty International also noted that the Kuwaiti parliament recently approved an electronic media law regulating all online publications–including news sources, social media and blogs–forcing them to get a government license to operate.

Pray for Kuwait
  • According to the constitution of Kuwait, Islam is the state religion, and Islamic law is an important source of legislation. Pray that the country would move toward true freedom of religion.
  • Pray for Muslim family members of Christians to see the love of Christ exemplified. Pray that believers would be emboldened to share their faith wisely with those around them.
  • In society, Christians are seen as second class, foreigners and infidels (anyone who adheres to a religion other than one’s own). Society prevents them from participating in community activities. Pray that the Christian community would not be discouraged and would continue to show the love of Jesus to their Muslim families and friends.

Kuwait Photo Gallery

Stories from Kuwait
October 22, 2016
Will ISIS Infiltrate Kuwait Next?
Jamal has seen an increasing Islamic fundamentalist influence on his country in the last few years especially, much in part…

+ READ MORE

October 7, 2016
Upcoming Elections in Morocco Bring Hope For Believers
Friday, October 7th, Moroccans will take to the polls. This is an important time, as it can change the way…

• Prayers
Reactions: redleghunter

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
KUWAIT
DOWNLOAD FACT SHEET DOWNLOAD FULL REPORT

Kuwait Facts
Score: 61 / 100
Region: Middle East
Persecution Type: Islamic Oppression
Persecution Level: Very High
Population: 4,100,000
Christians: 425,000
Main Religion: Islam
Government: Constitutional Monarchy
Leader: Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Jaber al-Sabah
Violence 2%
Church Life 73%
National Life 65%
Community Life 69%
Family Life 75%
Private Life 80%

In Kuwait, Christians experience persecution at all levels of society, including government, local communities and even their families. Because no religion aside from Islam is considered an acceptable faith, life for Christians is dangerous, especially for Christian converts. Kuwaiti society is bound by conservative Islamic norms, and these norms are enforced by ordinary citizens, radical Islamic groups and a government that bows to the demands of radical groups so long as the government maintains its power base. Constitutionally, religious freedom is provided for as long as it doesn’t violate Islamic rules and customs–leaving little space for Christians to live out their lives in the public sphere.

While all Christians experience faith-related restrictions in Kuwait, expatriate Christians are relatively free to worship informally. However, they have a difficult time securing places for worship and are often pitted against each other to gain access to church buildings for legal worship. Meanwhile, converts from Islam endure the worst persecution, both from their local communities and family members pressuring them to recant their faith. They experience discrimination, harassment, police surveillance and intimidation by vigilante groups, as well as legal problems related to personal status and property. Despite this persecution, reports of Christians being killed, imprisoned or harmed for their faith are rare.

Examples
In all state and private schools, the government mandates Islamic religious instruction for all students. Teaching Christianity is prohibited, even to legally recognized Christian groups.

Amnesty International recently highlighted Kuwait’s tightened restrictions surrounding the freedom of expression, particularly in the form of a new cybercrime law that penalizes criticism of the government, judiciary and other key groups with up to 10 years’ imprisonment.

In the same report, Amnesty International also noted that the Kuwaiti parliament recently approved an electronic media law regulating all online publications–including news sources, social media and blogs–forcing them to get a government license to operate.

Pray for Kuwait
  • According to the constitution of Kuwait, Islam is the state religion, and Islamic law is an important source of legislation. Pray that the country would move toward true freedom of religion.
  • Pray for Muslim family members of Christians to see the love of Christ exemplified. Pray that believers would be emboldened to share their faith wisely with those around them.
  • In society, Christians are seen as second class, foreigners and infidels (anyone who adheres to a religion other than one’s own). Society prevents them from participating in community activities. Pray that the Christian community would not be discouraged and would continue to show the love of Jesus to their Muslim families and friends.

Kuwait Photo Gallery

Stories from Kuwait
October 22, 2016
Jamal has seen an increasing Islamic fundamentalist influence on his country in the last few years especially, much in part…

+ READ MORE

October 7, 2016
Friday, October 7th, Moroccans will take to the polls. This is an important time, as it can change the way…
Spent some time in Kuwait over the course of a 25 year military career. They were very accommodating of US forces in our worship as long as we kept it on our bases.

Much more tolerant than Saudi Arabia. However we were not citizens but "guests." I remember some after Desert Storm went into Kuwait city (by invitation) to worship at a Greek Orthodox church.

A more interesting assignment was in 2003 when in Iraq I was heading to Kuwait to get parts for our vehicles and buy some new computers. My Battalion commander was Catholic and wanted me to purchase an English language Catholic Bible while in the market in Kuwait. Needless to say we were politely told they did not stock such and offered us free Qur'ans in English. :) Our chaplain (I took him along and he was Baptist) accepted them because he thought we would probably not leave the shop alive. :)

Of course I had a regular scrounger in my supply officer and he found one and told me to never ask how he got it :)

Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟738,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Spent some time in Kuwait over the course of a 25 year military career. They were very accommodating of US forces in our worship as long as we kept it on our bases.

Much more tolerant than Saudi Arabia. However we were not citizens but "guests." I remember some after Desert Storm went into Kuwait city (by invitation) to worship at a Greek Orthodox church.

A more interesting assignment was in 2003 when in Iraq I was heading to Kuwait to get parts for our vehicles and buy some new computers. My Battalion commander was Catholic and wanted me to purchase an English language Catholic Bible while in the market in Kuwait. Needless to say we were politely told they did not stock such and offered us free Qur'ans in English. :) Our chaplain (I took him along and he was Baptist) accepted them because he thought we would probably not leave the shop alive. :)

Of course I had a regular scrounger in my supply officer and he found one and told me to never ask how he got it :)

Thank you for sharing this as I enjoyed reading it. It brought back a few memories, and that's long before Amazon was shipping much to places like that. Or if they were it would take quite a long time. I've had similar experiences in those countries (Kuwait, Qatar, UAE etc). Very accommodating while on base, but never looked for anything Christian off base. I'm surprised there was an Orthodox church in Kuwait City, very surprised.

• Informative
Reactions: LoricaLady
Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
KUWAIT
DOWNLOAD FACT SHEET DOWNLOAD FULL REPORT

Kuwait Facts
Score: 61 / 100
Region: Middle East
Persecution Type: Islamic Oppression
Persecution Level: Very High
Population: 4,100,000
Christians: 425,000
Main Religion: Islam
Government: Constitutional Monarchy
Leader: Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Jaber al-Sabah
Violence 2%
Church Life 73%
National Life 65%
Community Life 69%
Family Life 75%
Private Life 80%

Examples

Pray for Kuwait

Kuwait Photo Gallery

Stories from Kuwait
October 22, 2016

+ READ MORE

October 7, 2016
Heavenly Father, I lift up these persecuted saints in Kuwait and our sister's ministry to you in prayer. In Jesus's blessed and Holy Name, I pray, Amen.

Upvote 0