St. Louis, MO.
✟371,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
…the 51 day standoff at the Branch Davidian complex in Waco ended when a fire engulfed the compound. Cult leader David Koresh had previously released about 24 people (mostly children, though none of his own.) But 80 people died in the fire. Most likely the fire was set by the cult members themselves, though it’s been claimed that the tear gas used to flush them out was flammable. The charred remains of several hundred automatic weapons, and 200,000+ rounds of ammunition—among with other military style ordnance—was found in the rubble.

Another senseless mass tragedy involving an extremist religious cult. Why would a “church” need 100s of automatic weapons and ammunition?

And as a follow-up, 28 years ago today, Tim McVeigh and his partner Terry Nichols killed 168 federal government employees with a massive truck bomb parked at the Alfred Murrah office building in Oklahoma City. 100s of others were wounded. And 19 children were killed in the building’s day care center. That Tim didn’t know existed. He claimed the bombing was in retaliation for the government’s actions at Waco, and the earlier Ruby Ridge incident.

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟551,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A drop in the bucket when compared to the hundreds of millions of people killed in secular wars by secular nations with the concept "separation of church and state" in their law. Millions more murdered by secular states in their concentration camps and gulags because they hated religion and dissent. But let's obsess over the 1000 year ago crusades and the handful of religious groups that got out of hand.
Just putting things in perspective here.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟236,269.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
A drop in the bucket when compared to the hundreds of millions of people killed in secular wars by secular nations with the concept "separation of church and state" in their law. Millions more murdered by secular states in their concentration camps and gulags because they hated religion and dissent. But let's obsess over the 1000 year ago crusades and the handful of religious groups that got out of hand.
Just putting things in perspective here.
I think you will find that the common factor in all instances, whether secular or religious, is the presence of humans. Rather than maligning one aspect of human organisation (the secular) would it not be more productive to look for mutual understanding and cooperation to prevent violence in all intances and from all causes?

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟551,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think you will find that the common factor in all instances, whether secular or religious, is the presence of humans. Rather than maligning one aspect of human organisation (the secular) would it not be more productive to look for mutual understanding and cooperation to prevent violence in all intances and from all causes?
My reply was to the OP and it's rant stating "Another senseless mass tragedy involving an extremist religious cult. "
I noticed you did not respond to that. How about the many many "senseless mass tragedies involving extremist secular cults." By that I mean secular ideologs down through time who have gained power over nations and slaughtering million of innocents.
In the end you are correct. This is a human problem. I just addressed the error in the OP, and that should be it!

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟236,269.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
My reply was to the OP and it's rant stating "Another senseless mass tragedy involving an extremist religious cult. "
I noticed you did not respond to that. How about the many many "senseless mass tragedies involving extremist secular cults." By that I mean secular ideologs down through time who have gained power over nations and slaughtering million of innocents.
In the end you are correct. This is a human problem. I just addressed the error in the OP, and that should be it!
I scanned the OP, barely noticed the middle paragraph, and took the whole post as no more than a review of the event. I question your use of the word "rant". Which of the words in that sentence are inaccurate? I do not see any. I stand ready to be corrected. Now, if you wish to say that the "rant" emerges from the sub-text then I say - possibly. But sub-text is easy to get wrong.

Since we are agreed it is a human problem I just wonder if the best way to respond to a "rant" is to offer up a 180 degree counter "rant". It just raises the temperature and pushes people into the imagined security of their group views and away from the solutions.

For the record I would feel this version of @jayem's sentence would be more accurate and might have seemed less like a rant to you.

Another senseless mass tragedy involving an extremist group of seriously misguided people.. Why would anybody, outside of the military,” need 100s of automatic weapons and ammunition?

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟551,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Another senseless mass tragedy involving an extremist group of seriously misguided people.. Why would anybody, outside of the military,” need 100s of automatic weapons and ammunition?
Another senseless massive war involving secular governments comprised of seriously misguided leaders.. Why would anybody need billions of $ of military equipment and tens of thousands of nuclear weapons?

Your logic is correct!

The good news is that when Jesus returns, all this is going to be corrected on every side. In fact He will prevent the complete destruction of the human race at the hands of those same secular governments who are out of control in their evil and rebellion. A wonderful time of justice, holiness, and peace.

Isaiah 2:4 KJV
4. And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people:
and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks:
nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.

So looking forward to this!!

Upvote 0

Joy

May 21, 2004
B'ham
✟1,403,923.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single