30 % of Evangelicals deny Jesus is God !

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello brother,@Jesus is YHWH

To you, why does that matter?

Just because someone doesn't say Jesus is God but is the Lord Jesus Christ?

Would you say if someone just believes that Jesus Christ is not God, that they are lesser than someone who says Jesus Christ is God?

That is not actually what the survey seems to ask, the 30% (of 'evangelicals') agreed with the statement that Jesus was a great teacher, but he was not God. Can one speak of the Lord Jesus Christ and deny he is God?

As regards the 52% of Americans, well its not that surprising, but someone can be in ignorance and later come to faith.

However I'd like to know how many churches were surveyed and how many participants. People might self-identify as 'evangelical', but if they don't believe what the Bible says how are they evangelical. Others might not self-identify as evangelical but still believe what the Bible says.

So I don't know how much these surveys really tell us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mlepfitjw

May you be blessed!
Jun 23, 2020
Alabama
✟44,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That is not actually what the survey seems to ask, the 30% (of 'evangelicals') agreed with the statement that Jesus was not God but he was only a great teacher. Can one speak of the Lord Jesus Christ and deny he is God? As regards the 52% of Americans, well its not that surprising, but people can be in ignorance and later come to faith.

However I'd like to know how many churches were surveyed and how many participants. People might self-identify as 'evangelical', but if they don't believe what the Bible says how are they evangelical. Others might not self-identify as evangelical but believe what the Bible says.

Honestly @dms1972 , I never took time to even read that article.

Because the internet is full of biased opinions and everything, you never know what is true sometimes. So I asked those questions in response of why does it really matter?

For me it does not matter. The reason is because if someone believes in the Lord Jesus Christ, and God who am I to judge anyone.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Honestly @dms1972 , I never took time to even read that article.

Because the internet is full of biased opinions and everything, you never know what is true sometimes. So I asked those questions in response of why does it really matter?

For me it does not matter. The reason is because if someone believes in the Lord Jesus Christ, and God who am I to judge anyone.

Again that is not what the discussion or thread is about.

Some things have to matter (and mattered to the Bible writers) or there will be those in the church who end up teaching anything and everything (as is happening in some places).

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
More than half of American adults, including 30% of evangelicals, say Jesus isn’t God ...

Maybe the reason is that Bible says for example:

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
1 Timothy 2:5

I think it is sad if 2/3 of Christians rather follow their own doctrines than what the Bible directly says.

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Maybe the reason is that Bible says for example:

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
1 Timothy 2:5

I think it is sad if 2/3 of Christians rather follow their own doctrines than what the Bible directly says.
Jesus assumed the prerogatives of Yahweh. He claimed to have control over mans eternal destiny (John 8:24, Luke 12:8-9, John 5:22, 27-29)

Jesus claimed to have authority over the Sabbath (Matthew 12:8, Mark 2:28, Luke 6:5)

Jesus claimed to have the power to answer prayer (John 14:13-14, Acts 7:59, 9:10-17)

Jesus claimed and to have the right to receive worship and faith due to God alone (Matthew 21:16, John 14:1, John 5:23).

Jesus claimed to forgive sins, something only God could do and the Jews knew this to be true. (Mark 2:5-11)

Jesus also called God's angels (Luke 12:8-9, 15:10) His angels (Matthew 13:41, 24:30-31)

Jesus called God's elect (Luke 18:7, Rom. 8:33) His elect (Matthew 24:30-31)

Jesus called God's kingdom (Matthew 12:28, Mark 1:15, Luke 4:43, John 3:3) His kingdom (Matthew 13:41, Luke 1:33).

The Lord's favorite description of Himself was "Son of Man" (cf. Matthew 8:20; Mark 2:28; Luke 6:22; John 9:35-37, etc.). Although that title seems to stress His humanity, it also speaks of His deity. Jesus' use of the term derives from Daniel 7:13-14, where the Son of Man is on equal terms with God the Father, the Ancient of Days.

Son of God- just as the son of man in most cases emphasizes Jesus humanity the title Son of God emphasizes His Deity. He has the same nature as His Father which is Divine.gty

Jesus claimed to be God. John 8:24,58, Revelation 1:8,17; 22:13

The Apostles called Him God- Titus 2:13, 2 Peter 1:1,11; 1 John 5:20

hope this helps!!!

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Independent, fundamental. We're the ones least liked.
That's the church I grew up in. I was taught the Deity of Christ there.
I just double-checked that church's website for "What We Believe"
That Jesus is God is two of the top five things listed in that section of the website (copy/pasted below).
It sounds as if you are unknowingly arguing against your own church's beliefs.

• We believe in the infallible verbal inspiration of the Authorized King James Version (KJV) Bible only. 2 Timothy 3:16-17
  • The Triune (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) God. Matthew 28:19
  • The Genesis account of Creation.
  • The Virgin Birth of Jesus Christ. Matthew 1:20
  • The Deity of Jesus Christ. John 10:30

Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
That's the church I grew up in. I was taught the Deity of Christ there.
I just double-checked that church's website for "What We Believe"
That Jesus is God is two of the top five things listed in that section of the website (copy/pasted below).
It sounds as if you are unknowingly arguing against your own church's beliefs.

• We believe in the infallible verbal inspiration of the Authorized King James Version (KJV) Bible only. 2 Timothy 3:16-17
  • The Triune (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) God. Matthew 28:19
  • The Genesis account of Creation.
  • The Virgin Birth of Jesus Christ. Matthew 1:20
  • The Deity of Jesus Christ. John 10:30

I'm pretty sure you have misread or somehow misunderstood my posts.

I have repeatedly said on my posts in this thread that Jesus Christ is most certainly God.

It's always a pleasure to meet someone from the same block of wood!

I'm sure you were taught the deity of Christ as our Lord intended.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I'm pretty sure you have misread or somehow misunderstood my posts.
I was referring to your posts like this one (linked)
What you said there is inconsistent with Independent Baptist teaching.
Confessing Christ as Lord, the Deity (God) is part of it.
I have repeatedly said on my posts in this thread that Jesus Christ is most certainly God.
Yes but you seperate it from the profession of faith, which is quite odd.

It's always a pleasure to meet someone from the same block of wood!
It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance as well.

If you look at my previous post (here) I'm not at all surprised that the KJV Only portion of the beliefs is listed above what is taught about God Himself. That is an essential in the I.B.C.
As a middle schooler in Sunday School I recall asking "So what was the Bible before 1611?" The search for an answer to that question (and quite a few others) led me to where I am today.

Godspeed your journey, wherever it leads!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I was referring to your posts like this one (linked)
What you said there is inconsistent with Independent Baptist teaching.
Confessing Christ as Lord, the Deity (God) is part of it.

Yes but you seperate it from the profession of faith, which is quite odd.

It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance as well.

If you look at my previous post (here) I'm not at all surprised that the KJV Only portion of the beliefs is listed above what is taught about God Himself. As a middle schooler in Sunday School I recall asking "So what was the Bible before 1611?" The search for an answer to that question (and quite a few others) led me to where I am today.

Godspeed your journey, wherever it leads!

Refer to post #75 and get back to me.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Refer to post #75 and get back to me.
referring to post 75
My point is that one does NOT have to know that Jesus Christ is God to be adopted into the family of God. Nowhere in scripture will you find this as mandatory for initial salvation..
It is not necessary for one to know that Christ is God for salvation.. This is not expected to be understood right away by the new convert.
For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

If new converts don't understand this, then it's due to poor preaching/teaching.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
referring to post 75

How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

If new converts don't understand this, then it's due to poor preaching/teaching.

Where does it say one must believe Jesus Is God to be saved?

As I have said, Nowhere! All that will come later. But one must know that Christ is the Son of God. The new convert may not understand that Christ is God, but that will not stop our Lord from saving him. All this knowledge will come after salvation.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
referring to post 75

I have to agree that Paul's statement about believing in Christ refers to having faith in him, rather than any specific idea about in just what way he is identified with God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
referring to post 75

Exactly they are not believing and trusting in the Christ of the scriptures who is God Incarnate.

We cannot separate salvation from God our Savior.

Matthew 1:23
The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel” (which means “God with us”).

Matthew 2:1-2
After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem 2 and asked, “Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him.”

Matthew 2:11
On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him.

John 8:24
I told you that you would die in your sins. Yes, if you don't believe that I AM(YHWH), you will die in your sins."

John 8:58
Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I Am.(YHWH)

John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 20:28
Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"

Titus 2:13
looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Christ Jesus

2 Peter 1:1
Simon Peter a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ
To those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith as precious as ours

1 John 5:20
We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true even in His Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello brother,@Jesus is YHWH

To you, why does that matter?

Just because someone doesn't say Jesus is God but is the Lord Jesus Christ?

Would you say if someone just believes that Jesus Christ is not God, that they are lesser than someone who says Jesus Christ is God?
Why does it matter ?

Because Jesus and the Apostles said it matters.

jehovah witnesses deny Jesus is God and they are a cult. Unitarianism is a cult. They are not saved since they deny the True God who is the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

A false god cannot save anyone, an idol cannot save anyone, a false christ cannot save anyone, a false gospel or works cannot save anyone.

A persons faith is only as good as the object of that faith. In other words only faith in the Real God, the Real Jesus, the Real Gospel can save one from their sins.

It matters because ones eternal destiny hinges on it.

hope this helps !!!

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Where does it say one must believe Jesus Is God to be saved?

As I have said, Nowhere! All that will come later. But one must know that Christ is the Son of God. The new convert may not understand that Christ is God, but that will not stop our Lord from saving him. All this knowledge will come after salvation.

Even devils know that Christ is the Son of God. Are they also saved?

• Useful
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The devils certainly know the Son of God.

The criteria for salvation is one thing, the acceptance of the Son of God as your Saviour.

Which side did the devils take?
Do they know the Son of God is their Creator ?

Upvote 0