Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟26,473.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Boy do I know how Martha felt! My favorite saying from my time here in Korea is 'This is not the way it was supposed to heppen'. Hopeless has been my time in Korea. This year has been less than spectacular. There are things that I have hoped for, longed for. Some of them are simple things, some more complex. Do you know I still have a hole in my bathroom door? I made that hole more than 9 months ago and yet it still hasn't been fixed. You don't really need to know the story behind the hole (it is rather amusing) but it still is something that needs to be fixed. On top of that there was a car accident, a mental breakdown (or 3), a break up of a friendship (that has now been restored though I am still confused and wary), my best friend moving back home to America as her mother was very sick (and has since passed away)... the list goes on. All I can say is - this is not the way it was supposed to happen (espcially when you live in a country where you don't speak the language and have to rely on others to speak for you).

Yes I know Martha's cry. How can you fix this now? It is too late. But Jesus proved her wrong and I know He will prove me wrong too. There has been a lack of hope before but not now. I am glad that my God delights in these types of situations for that is all the hope that I need.

Thanks again John.

Upvote 0

songz777

Spouse first strengthens your marriage
Apr 5, 2004
Devon ~ Plymouth
Visit site
✟31,494.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
30 Days of Encouragement for Singles.

My Verse of the Evening.

Jeremiah 29:11 I alone know the plans I have for you, plans to bring you prosperity and not disaster, plans to bring about the future you hope for. GNB

I am so glad that the Lord has good plans for us as well as Israel.

He knows the future I long for and you long for.

Upvote 0

songz777

Apr 5, 2004
Devon ~ Plymouth
Visit site
✟31,494.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
30 Days of Singles Encouragement.

DAY 6
Your Not Written Off!

Luke 1:36 “Your Cousin Elisabeth has conceived in her old age: with her who was called BARREN, for with God nothing shall be impossible”

How many people have deemed us “Barren” oh he or she wont get anyone now, its too late for them. They are the unclaimed treasures in the church. They have had there chance now its too late.
I have had that said to me “ You have had your chance”

This verse really encouraged me, because we are in the eyes of some “Barren” in other words NO hope for them!
But look when there is no hope in our eyes, and people say “there hopes gone” well its not!

Zachariah had prayed many years for a child and the angel said “Your prayer has been heard” Yes!! It was a delayed prayer, and when all hope seemed to be gone, God stepped in and not only this in v58, Others “REJOICED” with her (and him).

God is so kind, people may write us off (we older ones) but God doesn’t’t and His plans are spot on. Its just when your are down and weeping that the hope tends to fade.
So be encouraged God is with you.

Also God is counting all your prayers He said to Cornelius “YOUR PRAYERS have been heard and your good works” God sent an angel to tell him that. Daniel to was three weeks of hunger and trial but God heard him the 1st time he prayed but the delay was there because of the enemy. Hope you are blest today. In pain or joy do not give up.

Upvote 0

Evie1980

Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟26,473.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you again John! We use the word barren for many things not just women who can't have children. A barren place is also know as the desert, wilderness or a place that lacks anything of good substance. Sometimes we see our lives as barren and without anything of worth or value.

God has always provided for those who were either barren (like Elizabeth, Hannah, Sarah) and those who lived in barren places (the Israelities for 40 years, David on the run from King Saul). Every story that has had no hope has been turned around into something glorious by the will of God. Every story saw a miracle happening. The thing that was least expected happened. Manna fell from the sky, water came from rocks, children were born from women too old to conceive. Our God is gracious enough to answer our prayers "for with God nothing shall be impossible". Hope is available to all. Even me!

Upvote 0

songz777

Apr 5, 2004
Devon ~ Plymouth
Visit site
✟31,494.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Lovely thoughts Evie :)

"Every story that has had no hope has been turned around into something glorious by the will of God. Every story saw a miracle happening. The thing that was least expected happened. Manna fell from the sky, water came from rocks, children were born from women too old to conceive. Our God is gracious enough to answer our prayers "for with God nothing shall be impossible". Hope is available to all"

Bless you John

Upvote 0

songz777

Apr 5, 2004
Devon ~ Plymouth
Visit site
✟31,494.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

My Evening verse.

Proverbs 23:18 There surely is future hope for you and your hope will not be cut off".

At times our hopes seem to fade yet God still says there is a FUTURE even here on planet for us to enjoy.

Upvote 0

songz777

Apr 5, 2004
Devon ~ Plymouth
Visit site
✟31,494.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
30 Days of Singles Encouragement.​
DAY 7

The Inner Hurt of being single.
For many single people being “single” is one of hurt and loneliness. Like Hannah the pain of seeing others being so blest and we so forgotten is very painful, especially as the years go by.
Yet the comfort of the Lord so deep and precious.
It is here He whispers the words:​
“Be Still My Soul the Lord is on your Side
Bear patiently the weight of grief or pain
leave to your God to order and provide”.
Our hearts do break, and the eyes will ache with weeping, and yet the Lord whispers “It is only for a season, only a short while” This is so true, how great is His comfort, and blessing.
Habakkuk said “Though the fig doesn’t’t blossom….., yet I will JOY in my God”
Our hearts may indeed be broken and our inner most being sigh and the heaviness of loneliness and indescribable longing for human companionship, yet the Lord is faithful, and in time will lift us up.
Joseph in prison was tried by the Word of God, Jesus Him self, but look how blest his end was.
He may well have cried “My God why have you forsaken me”? We to may cry the same words, but God who knows best will in his time bring us into our desired haven of rest.
We for this season of hurt, must for Him alone patiently bear this time that He has permitted to fall upon us, resting assured that the sun light of Gods face will shine brightly once more in the future and the heavy heart will be turned into rejoicing and peaceful rest in the Lord. Wait upon the Lord and in due time He will lift you up.

Upvote 0

Evie1980

Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟26,473.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Once again John youhave given us an awesome post.

Sometimes I struggle with admitting my heart is broken. I feel that I should be able to carry on inspite of it all and yet there seems no joy in the going. It is hard to admit that life is painful. Life is not always what we planned. I know that I suffer greatly with the 'why not me' mentality. The struggles that I face are hard to describe. Not many people understand the complications of my life and desires so I spend a lot of time wishing, hoping, dreaming that I was someone different. That the passions of my heart were someone elses. Yet for all of that they always remain the same.

So the words spoken
“Be Still My Soul the Lord is on your Side

Bear patiently the weight of grief or pain
leave to your God to order and provide”.

re-ignite my heart to know that, even though the desires of my heart seem beyond comprehension, the Lord will still provide for them. Not only that, He will understand the true passions of my heart and order them according to His will for my life. Though those who live me may never understand me, my God will.

We for this season of hurt, must for Him alone patiently bear this time that He has permitted to fall upon us, resting assured that the sun light of Gods face will shine brightly once more in the future and the heavy heart will be turned into rejoicing and peaceful rest in the Lord. Wait upon the Lord and in due time He will lift you up.

Thank you again John.

Upvote 0

songz777

Apr 5, 2004
Devon ~ Plymouth
Visit site
✟31,494.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
30 days of Encouragement.

My verse of the evening.

Psa 30:11 By you my sorrow is turned into dancing; you have taken away my clothing of grief, and given me robes of joy;

How ever sad we may feel the Great God of all kindness will in time lift us up and cloth us with JOY

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michigander

Mar 3, 2008
✟7,644.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I enjoy this thread - it's good inspiration. What the Lord is speaking to me in my recent path of being single, is to worship Him in the good times and the bad. It seems (in my life), as such a focus of looking for God's blessings. And yes, sometimes being with a significant other can provide that blessing. But that's not what God created us for.

And so, I am using this time to remind myself that even when the harvest comes, my fervent prayer should not decrease. God wants us to remember his goodness all the time, not just when we're in need.

Keep up the great work on daily devotions. Your attitude plays a HUGE role on how we see the environment all around us. I would hate to see people staring at a closed door not even knowing that there is such blessing to be received RIGHT NOW.

And as always, the true advice is to seek first the kingdom of God. Thanks for the constant reminder.

Reactions: songz777
Upvote 0

songz777

Apr 5, 2004
Devon ~ Plymouth
Visit site
✟31,494.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

DAY 8​

Limiting Gods Power
Mat 13:58
Because they did not have faith, he did not perform many miracles there.
When we feel a bit down or discouraged and is so very easy to begin to “limit” Gods power by saying “what’s the point of praying or hoping, it wont happen any way” . This is the attack of the enemy that all of us at times will experience. God wants us to have the attitude that says “Lord I KNOW ALL things are possible with you” If you want to you CAN do this thing. My appearance and circumstances are NO hindrance to your plans and will.
Jesus could not do His full work in certain areas because the people did not believe in His power. They limited His power and only expected small things. When the things they wanted to happen went past the bounds of human hope or common sense and reasoning they gave up and said “cannot be done”.
Let us be those who say “It CAN BE done” and I am not going to be the one to make it not happen.
Why shouldn’t God do amazing things? Why should He not do what is amazing to us? God likes us to be weak and have no hope so that He can step in and do those wow things.
May we today expect the unexpected from our dear Friend and God.

Upvote 0

Evie1980

Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟26,473.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Why shouldn’t God do amazing things? Why should He not do what is amazing to us?
Well I could give you a list of reasons why God shouldn't, couldn't, wouldn't do amazing things in my but I am not sure where I put it ... oh thats right - I gave it to God. Once again John you have hit the nail on the head. Many times we think that God would never do miracles in our lives. After all who are we to recieve a miracle?

We need to see ourselves as Gods own children. We are worthy because He is our Father. And for those who has He called His own, He would give all He had including His Son. But God doesn't stop there. He doesn't give a limit on the number of miracles He can perform in our lives and neither should we. God doesn't keep track of the miraculous things He has done in our lives. He won't turn around one day and say 'I gave you all these miracles you deserve no more'. God is not like that and when we think of Him that way it breaks His heart. Do I deserve a mircale on my own? No. Will I receive miracles? Yes because miracles aren't reliant on me but on God and God is far better than we can ever possibly think or imagine. That is why my signature is such
"Now unto Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us" Ephesians 3 vs 20.

Miracles are not about us doing, but God. The only thing a miracle relies on is God working within us and for God to work in us we have to believe in Him, His Son, His Spirit, His Word.

May we today expect the unexpected from our dear Friend and God.

Yes let's expect miracles from God our Father.

Upvote 0

songz777

Apr 5, 2004
Devon ~ Plymouth
Visit site
✟31,494.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
30 days of Encouragement.

My evening verse of hope.

Psalm 30:18 Forget the former things, do not dwell on the past. See I am doing a new thing, now it springs up and do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the waste land.

May be its time to move on for some of us.

Upvote 0

songz777

Apr 5, 2004
Devon ~ Plymouth
Visit site
✟31,494.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well I could give you a list of reasons why God shouldn't, couldn't, wouldn't do amazing things in my but I am not sure where I put it ... oh thats right - I gave it to God. Once again John you have hit the nail on the head. Many times we think that God would never do miracles in our lives. After all who are we to recieve a miracle?

We need to see ourselves as Gods own children. We are worthy because He is our Father. And for those who has He called His own, He would give all He had including His Son. But God doesn't stop there. He doesn't give a limit on the number of miracles He can perform in our lives and neither should we. God doesn't keep track of the miraculous things He has done in our lives. He won't turn around one day and say 'I gave you all these miracles you deserve no more'. God is not like that and when we think of Him that way it breaks His heart. Do I deserve a mircale on my own? No. Will I receive miracles? Yes because miracles aren't reliant on me but on God and God is far better than we can ever possibly think or imagine. That is why my signature is such
"Now unto Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us" Ephesians 3 vs 20.

Miracles are not about us doing, but God. The only thing a miracle relies on is God working within us and for God to work in us we have to believe in Him, His Son, His Spirit, His Word.

Yes let's expect miracles from God our Father.
Thank you Evie ;) Perhaps you should also start an encouraging thread you have a lot of good input and widsom.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Evie1980

Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟26,473.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you Evie ;) Perhaps you should also start an encouraging thread you have a lot of good input and widsom.

That is very sweet of you to say John but I don't tnink tht I have the dedication and compassion that you have to start my own thread! Besides I do really enjoy replying to you posts.
God bless

Upvote 0

songz777

Apr 5, 2004
Devon ~ Plymouth
Visit site
✟31,494.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

DAY 9

Moving On ~ Put The Past Away.

Psalm 30:18 Forget the former things, do not dwell on the past. See I am doing a new thing, now it springs up and do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the waste land

There are times in our lives when we must stop dwelling on the past and simply move on.
For me I have had hopes of friendships or potential relationships that have gone so far and then suddenly ended.

Such times are hurtful and painful and the pain keeps coming back because I dwell on the past, I keep thinking about this person, thinking of how nice they seemed and what I could have had and yet seemed to have lost.
God says look that person wasn’t the one, I know you hurt but its time to move on and stop thinking and mulling over about this person.

The former things are now PAST it is time to look to the future for NEW and yes even BETTER things because God is always looking out for our best.
Paul says also in Philippians 3:13 “One thing I do, I put the PAST BEHIND me and move forward”

It hurts and we tend to keep putting our tongue in the hole where the tooth was (if you know what I mean) but its no good MOVE on.

Once we as it were say “God you know best, you know I hurt real bad, I so liked that person, but I want what you want not my choice but yours” then we will start to be healed and God our Father will put a NEW JOY and hope into our hearts. A hope of even better things to come.

When the time does come we shall have no regrets about letting go this other person.

Upvote 0

Evie1980

Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟26,473.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The former things are now PAST it is time to look to the future for
It hurts and we tend to keep putting our tongue in the hole where the tooth was (if you know what I mean) but its no good MOVE on.

Once we as it were say “God you know best, you know I hurt real bad, I so liked that person, but I want what you want not my choice but yours” then we will start to be healed and God our Father will put a NEW JOY and hope into our hearts. A hope of even better things to come.

When the time does come we shall have no regrets about letting go this other person.

Yes John I thin that we can all relate to that. Change is difficult especially when we are not prepared for it or it happens against our will. There are many times that I have tried to hold onto the past in. There are many times that I have sort "closure" on an issue only to find out it is only me that is still hurting. If I had of let the wounds heal and moved on I would have been happier. I could have found new dreams, new things to do, met new people instead I kept revisiting what used to be. I wanted to understand my relationships to the smallest detail in the hope of achieving something yet I am not sure exactly what that was. In the process I kept reliving the past and not the future. The problem was that everytime I retold the story the ending was always the same. It never changed. I always end up with a broken heart.

We each have our own excuses for not letting go of the past. We say things like 'I just want to make sure it doesn't happen again...' or 'If I could only understand a little better what had happened maybe...' or 'I need to wait for that person to realise what they did was wrong and then...' but all this just prevents us from being happy. It prevents us from searching for new things. It prevents us from seeing God's blessing now. It prevents us from seeing the possibilities right in front of us. You can not drive whilst looking in the rearview mirror focusing on what was behind and not in front.

Upvote 0

songz777

Apr 5, 2004
Devon ~ Plymouth
Visit site
✟31,494.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
30 Days of Encouragment.
My favourite verse for the evening.

"So don't throw away your confidence which has a great reward, For you need endurance so that after you have done God's will you may receive what was promised" Hebrews 10:35

If God has made you a promise no matter how many years you have waited DO NOT GIVE UP it will happen. God is faithful to the end.

Upvote 0

songz777

Apr 5, 2004
Devon ~ Plymouth
Visit site
✟31,494.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
DAY 10

A Work For God First.
Matthew 6:33
Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and then all these things shall be added to you

We all have plans and things that we really want to happen in our lives. For some singles it is to be married and may be have a family or share in a ministry.

But our time and Gods time are not the same. The Lord wants us to seek Him first and His will for our life. Often times God has a work for us to do before He will give to us what we may so long for.

Hannah longed for a child, but God longed for a godly leader. Hannah had a work to do first for God and that was to be tried and tested to produce a godly woman who was willing to give up her first born son so that God could restore a fallen nation.

Hannah didn’t know the reason behind all her pain, and perhaps she felt God was cruel to her, while He was blessing her rival with many children.

The key thing is to make the most of being single and not spend all our lives being sad because we have no one special, because when you do meet that special person you will look back and realised that you wasted many years.

For me I have a work to do, with children and teens and teaching music. If I were married at 24 when I wanted to be I would never have learnt to play the bass guitar, electric guitar and keyboard, and our church would have no music and no band like we have now because I have taught the next generation.

Do you see my point? My pain in waiting and doing Gods will first has blest many people so perhaps its time for change with some the readers here?

Put God first and work for Him in the singles capacity and then in time the Lord will give what you so long for.

Upvote 0