United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Part 2
Summary of point 6.
6. Time to develop your personality.

Don’t spend your time hunting and searching for that illusive love of your life, spend it for God and in His time He will direct your paths.

Spend the time allowing God to develop your personality. He will use the time of being single to mature and tweak your emotions and mind and outlook.

The more time you spend with Him the less moody and grumpy you will be and the more ready and prepared for a relationship.

He will increase your self esteem and self image also your confidence in His power in all situations thus making you stronger for the challenges in a relationship and its commitments.

The time being single will be time for you to learn more about who you are and the person you are, and perhaps to the person to some degree you would like to be.

God will work in you and mould you for His good and yours to.

So with this last thought in our point 6 may you be blest and receive wonderful things from the Lord.

Upvote 0

songz777

Spouse first strengthens your marriage
Apr 5, 2004
Devon ~ Plymouth
Visit site
✟31,494.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thought: "The one thing about getting older is that your experience of Gods love nearness fullness and perception gets more precious each year providing you let Him have His way when the trials come and still worship him"

So do not worry about getting older it gets better!

Upvote 0

songz777

Apr 5, 2004
Devon ~ Plymouth
Visit site
✟31,494.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Make worship your greatest joy for God delights in it. Would you starve your sposue of love? Starve them of words of affection? Well God hurts to show oyur love to Him in words and deeds just as you would your spouse.

Psalm 147:11​
The Lord takes pleasure in his worshippers and in those whose hope is in his mercy.​

Upvote 0

silentpoet

Contributor
Jun 1, 2004
Arkansas
✟15,957.00
Faith
Nazarene
Politics
US-Others
I don't know if worship is my first priority. I would put service ahead of praise. I guess I am not very worshipful. To me of first import is serving others. Much like you encourage others, I feel that giving others the words of God's love specifically for them is more important than worship.

Jesus said to Peter if you love Me feed My sheep. I take that to mean in the context of both your gift and mine that we are to feed their starving hearts. Maybe for me that is true worship. Much like Isaiah 58 says about true fasting. I do know that God's words flow from us both, so I think I am not too terribly wrong in this matter.

Praise from my lips cannot really add to the glory of God. I know it is a command, but I look at myself then at God and ask "How can my words add anything to Him?" I am most prone to praise in prayer, because it is more a conversational tool to express what I may be feeling to God. It is more of a private matter, because I don't want to be boastful before others and doing it for their respect.

Upvote 0

Evie1980

Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟26,473.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Praise from my lips cannot really add to the glory of God. I know it is a command, but I look at myself then at God and ask "How can my words add anything to Him?" I am most prone to praise in prayer, because it is more a conversational tool to express what I may be feeling to God. It is more of a private matter, because I don't want to be boastful before others and doing it for their respect.

Excellent point Silentpoet. We can't add to God's glory but we can recognise it and that is what worship is. When we worship God we are recognising just how awesome He is. This is about walking close to God. I think of it like this - when we like someone we complimant them. We say nice things to them so that they know we value them and care for them. If we only say negative things to them (especially about them personally) they wouldn't remain our friends for very long! When we worship something we are not only recognising its value and hence complimenting it, but we also place its value above everything and everyone else (hence the reason you can really only worship one thing for worshipping is recognising the most important thing in your life!)

Anyway there are many different ways we compliment a friend - in private, with other friends, sometimes in front of a large audience. We many compliment them with kind words, nice gestures, with a thank you present or other froms of recognition. In the same way there are many ways you can worship God - through personal prayer or public prayer, songs sang for His benefit alone or with the help of others, reading His word alone or with frineds and family, through discussion with friends (afterall sometimes we compliment a friend even when they are not there to hear it), through sharing His greatness with others...

Anyway like I said great response Silentpoet. God bless

Upvote 0

Evie1980

Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟26,473.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
He will increase your self esteem and self image also your confidence in His power in all situations thus making you stronger for the challenges in a relationship and its commitments.

The time being single will be time for you to learn more about who you are and the person you are, and perhaps to the person to some degree you would like to be.

I have struggled with self image and self worth for many years now. I guess you can say that I have spent a lot of time looking at my faults and bever really understanding why everything is the way that it is. As the younger sister, I always struggled with envying my older sister. Who wouldn't? My older sister is beautiful, skinny, smart, loyal, more mature (she is after all older by 3 years meaning she always was able to do more than me!) I was always looked negatively upon myself and this in turn prevented me from really loving God. Afterall, how can you really appreciate your Maker when you don't really like the way He made you?

Yet, even as I write this, the tide is changing in my life. I am coming to terms with the different lifestyle I live. I am coming to terms with my different interests, desires and body shape! I am starting to notice that my biggest flaws have created my biggest strengths. I am even noticing that my beautiful, skinny, wise sister has her own flaws to deal with. After all a fear of flying would be no good for me! I am slowly letting go of the flawed girl I was and allowing God to help me become the woman He wants me to be. I now can recognise that I am beautifully and wonderfully made and thank God for it!

Yes, you are right John. The single life has been good to me...

Upvote 0

songz777

Apr 5, 2004
Devon ~ Plymouth
Visit site
✟31,494.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have struggled with self image and self worth for many years now. I guess you can say that I have spent a lot of time looking at my faults and bever really understanding why everything is the way that it is. As the younger sister, I always struggled with envying my older sister. Who wouldn't? My older sister is beautiful, skinny, smart, loyal, more mature (she is after all older by 3 years meaning she always was able to do more than me!) I was always looked negatively upon myself and this in turn prevented me from really loving God. Afterall, how can you really appreciate your Maker when you don't really like the way He made you?

Yet, even as I write this, the tide is changing in my life. I am coming to terms with the different lifestyle I live. I am coming to terms with my different interests, desires and body shape! I am starting to notice that my biggest flaws have created my biggest strengths. I am even noticing that my beautiful, skinny, wise sister has her own flaws to deal with. After all a fear of flying would be no good for me! I am slowly letting go of the flawed girl I was and allowing God to help me become the woman He wants me to be. I now can recognise that I am beautifully and wonderfully made and thank God for it!

Yes, you are right John. The single life has been good to me...
Thats Good Evie, it took me some while to accept me ;) but I know my wife one day will think i am the best and your husband will be the same for you.. just the wau you are :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Evie1980

Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟26,473.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you John. It is hard to think that somone else could ever accept you the way you are when you don't. Yes, I have learned that the only way you can truly belive that you can be accepted is to accept you the way yourself as who you are. God made me. I am proud to be His daughter and I am proud to be the person He made me to be.

Reactions: Mark2010
Upvote 0

silentpoet

Contributor
Jun 1, 2004
Arkansas
✟15,957.00
Faith
Nazarene
Politics
US-Others
Or if you cannot accept yourself as you are now, you can accept the fact that you are a undergoing a process of becoming. I don't particularly like some of my qualities, but I and God are at work changing myself. That much I can accept. I am not where I should/will be, but with effort and grace I can get there. I think it is like when Paul said both in Romans 7 and in one of his other epistles about how he had not grabbed hold of all he should be. This is a healthy dissatisfaction with self.

Reactions: Evie1980
Upvote 0

songz777

Apr 5, 2004
Devon ~ Plymouth
Visit site
✟31,494.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Lord knows our desires as well as our needs. Preparation sometimes takes longer than we want or feel it should be. Nothing wort having comes cheaply.

Psalm 10:17​
Lord you have heard the desire of the humble. You will prepare their heart and you will cause your ear to hear.​

Reactions: Evie1980
Upvote 0

Evie1980

Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟26,473.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The Lord knows our desires as well as our needs. Preparation sometimes takes longer than we want or feel it should be. Nothing wort having comes cheaply.

Psalm 10:17

Lord you have heard the desire of the humble. You will prepare their heart and you will cause your ear to hear.​
This is something that I always struggle with yet I know that the longer we have to wait the more glorious the blessing will be because I will be able to recognise it when it comes. Lately I have wanted all my prayers answered as I have prayed for them. Waiting has been hard but when the blessings have happened they have brought me more joy because I have known God's hand has been at work in it.
Thanks John for a great post.

Reactions: songz777
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

songz777

Apr 5, 2004
Devon ~ Plymouth
Visit site
✟31,494.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is something that I always struggle with yet I know that the longer we have to wait the more glorious the blessing will be because I will be able to recognise it when it comes. Lately I have wanted all my prayers answered as I have prayed for them. Waiting has been hard but when the blessings have happened they have brought me more joy because I have known God's hand has been at work in it.
Thanks John for a great post.
:) well I got some big answers to come soon for my church and for me!

Upvote 0

silentpoet

Contributor
Jun 1, 2004
Arkansas
✟15,957.00
Faith
Nazarene
Politics
US-Others
Like Tom Petty sang the waiting is the hardest part. For me I find it hard to remain in contact with God's promises so I have to remind myself of them often.

I have put before God and God has promised the impossible to me. But in my waiting I mostly see the impossible and not the God who promised. So I have to make a constant turning toward God. Maybe that is the reason the situation I am waiting in is impossible, because if not would I really turn to God all that much? All I know is God has promised a specific promise of what is to come, but nothing says when.
So everday my prayers include some variation of "soon Lord, please." I see no wrong in telling God that I prefer sooner over later in His purposes. After all He changed His timing several times in the Old Testament. He even listened to Ahab. Now if He will listen to a wicked king, maybe He will listen and answer my pleas. And Jesus told the parable of the widow and the unjust judge. This gives me confidence to pray like this. Who knows, maybe by time of testing and trial may be shortened by a merciful God. I hope so, because even with newfound faith I do not know how long I can endure waiting.

Upvote 0

songz777

Apr 5, 2004
Devon ~ Plymouth
Visit site
✟31,494.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Like Tom Petty sang the waiting is the hardest part. For me I find it hard to remain in contact with God's promises so I have to remind myself of them often.

I have put before God and God has promised the impossible to me. But in my waiting I mostly see the impossible and not the God who promised. So I have to make a constant turning toward God. Maybe that is the reason the situation I am waiting in is impossible, because if not would I really turn to God all that much? All I know is God has promised a specific promise of what is to come, but nothing says when.
So everday my prayers include some variation of "soon Lord, please." I see no wrong in telling God that I prefer sooner over later in His purposes. After all He changed His timing several times in the Old Testament. He even listened to Ahab. Now if He will listen to a wicked king, maybe He will listen and answer my pleas. And Jesus told the parable of the widow and the unjust judge. This gives me confidence to pray like this. Who knows, maybe by time of testing and trial may be shortened by a merciful God. I hope so, because even with newfound faith I do not know how long I can endure waiting.
SP you have grown in your faith MAJORILY since the early days .. youre a bit like me now lol! You have faith but not sure when it will happen the main thing now is try to enjoy God coz you know the rest will happen.

Upvote 0

Evie1980

Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟26,473.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I read this psalm last night and wanted to share it. I found verse 3 and 7-8 as the most encouraging. I hope and pray that you find it encouraging too.

God bless

Psalm 138 (N.I.V)
Of David.

1 I will praise you, O LORD, with all my heart;
before the "gods" I will sing your praise.
2 I will bow down toward your holy temple
and will praise your name
for your love and your faithfulness,
for you have exalted above all things
your name and your word.
3 When I called, you answered me;
you made me bold and stouthearted.
4 May all the kings of the earth praise you, O LORD,
when they hear the words of your mouth.
5 May they sing of the ways of the LORD,
for the glory of the LORD is great.
6 Though the LORD is on high, he looks upon the lowly,
but the proud he knows from afar.
7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
you preserve my life;
you stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes,
with your right hand you save me. 8 The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me;
your love, O LORD, endures forever—
do not abandon the works of your hands.

Upvote 0