Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Singles Encouragement.
Making the most of being single.

Ephesians 5:16 "Redeeming [fig., making the best use of] the time, because the days are evil"

Part 1. Free Time.
The biggest asset a single person has is “time”. The precious fact is plain, that no matter how much single people may not want to be single, “time is their friend”.

I have sat down and meditated upon this fact, and without a doubt there are such golden opportunities do things without “time” restrictions and commitments that one could never be able to do fully, in a marriage.

A great deal can be achieved whilst being single, and they can be summarised in three ways.

1. Uninterrupted time to get to know God in a deep and wonderful way.
2. Time to develop your skills and abilities.
3. Time to give your best efforts in service to others and outreach.
4. Time to do things and go places where you couldn’t when married.
5. Time to enjoy the relative freedom from financial restrictions.
6. Time to develop your personality.

Upvote 0

silentpoet

Contributor
Jun 1, 2004
Arkansas
✟15,957.00
Faith
Nazarene
Politics
US-Others
That sort of relates to the type of focus I have been trying to have for my new job. I can't recall the exact verse, there are at least two similar ones in the old and new testament, but it says roughly "Whatever you do, do it with all your might." Paul, i think, adds the explanation that it is because of Who we work for. There are times just doing my best at a job is all the worship I can do, see my prayer request for more info. But I do feel that service and excellence is a very high form of worship. I am not on for praise songs, at least not most of the time because I do not want to be dishonest with God and some of the lyrics would be for me. But give me a chore or service to perform and I can really do it with a worshipfull attitude.

Upvote 0

songz777

Spouse first strengthens your marriage
Apr 5, 2004
Devon ~ Plymouth
Visit site
✟31,494.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Part 2.

Summary of point 1.
Psalm 63:1
“O God, you are my God, and I long for you. My whole being desires you..”

1. Uninterrupted time to get to know God in a deep and wonderful way.
The extra free time from being single will give you golden opportunities to really get to know God.

The fullness of the Spirit, the power for living and loving others will only come from being filled with the deep and precious love and presence of God.
Once you are filled with Gods love and “affection” you will be able to love your spouse without depending on them for your “emotional” needs.

When your spouse doesn’t show you affection you will be able to fall back on your deep walk with God and allow Him to give you the support and fullness you need instead being crushed with despair.

Getting to know God takes many hours of quality time and hearts affections. This will be very hard to do when you are committed to someone. The time will not be your own but shared with your love.
Your spouse will be far more blest if you are walking close to God and have really discovered the deeper things about Him that only single time can grant.

Reactions: silentpoet
Upvote 0

silentpoet

Contributor
Jun 1, 2004
Arkansas
✟15,957.00
Faith
Nazarene
Politics
US-Others
Those are some very good points. I know I have grown in love through this time of sorrow. I know more about exactly how Jesus felt when He chose the cross. I would have made the same choice for love. It sort of ties in with my thread on denial. The second part of denial is to take up our cross daily. This last post has encouraged me more than you can know. And it has given me more to think of on some important matters.

Upvote 0

songz777

Apr 5, 2004
Devon ~ Plymouth
Visit site
✟31,494.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Part 2

Summary of point 2.
1Corinthians 12:31
“Set your hearts, then, on the more important gifts”

2. Time to develop your skills and abilities.
The word “heart” is a key thought here. Our hearts can be set on several areas in our lives.
The Lord, wife, husband, hobbies, church work, music etc.

Out of all these the “wife / husband” is going to be the greatest earthly “hearts” motivation. The Lord should always be before them however.
While you are single there is that opportunity to give your “heart” to developing your God given gifts.

For example to learn a musical instrument takes many hours, and one would never have the heart for that nor the time if you were married or dating.

Uninterrupted time is vital. What ever your abilities are, make the most of being single and ask God to make those gifts sufficiently good so that when you are married you able to use them and keep them without too much “revision” ie: once a man has muscles he has only to exercise them just enough to keep the muscle toned, the hard work was done in getting them to that size!

Same principle applies once you have gotten to a good standard in your gifts.

Upvote 0

songz777

Apr 5, 2004
Devon ~ Plymouth
Visit site
✟31,494.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Part 2

Summary of point 3.

3. Time to give your best efforts in service to others and outreach.
Being free from the commitment of a spouse will give you time to give much time to the service for God in your church and out side.

Being single will allow you to give undivided and one to one time to young Christians, time to give them the help they need to grow. Time to work with teenagers and children in a deeper capacity. Time study the bible and really get to know God.

How many people do you know who need support? Encouragement? Quality time? Nurturing? All these and many more areas are free from the restrictions of being committed to someone.

No one to ask if its OK to take so and so on a camping week end to build them up or witness to them.
Marriage means commitment and rightly so.

With it will come other ministries but for now its you and God and who ever He leads you to help and what ever He leads you to do. Make the most of it.

Upvote 0

silentpoet

Contributor
Jun 1, 2004
Arkansas
✟15,957.00
Faith
Nazarene
Politics
US-Others
With me I know I have the time to do stuff, but the motivation or heart is not really there. Plus to be totally honest I have not heard a specific call to a ministry. I try to do good, encourage others, and in general just try to be a good Christian example. But no specific need calls to me. I am not sure how to proceed, but I might just talk to my pastor. I see lots of needs and my heart cries out at seeing each one. I can do lots of things at least ok. It is hard for me to get going but if God leads me I will follow. The problem I face is that it often seems pointless to make a difference, I am trying to fight that attitude but alot of it still remains. I need to see that God will be faithful, if I keep that in mind I can serve better and be more hopefull.

Reactions: songz777
Upvote 0

songz777

Apr 5, 2004
Devon ~ Plymouth
Visit site
✟31,494.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
With me I know I have the time to do stuff, but the motivation or heart is not really there. Plus to be totally honest I have not heard a specific call to a ministry. I try to do good, encourage others, and in general just try to be a good Christian example. But no specific need calls to me. I am not sure how to proceed, but I might just talk to my pastor. I see lots of needs and my heart cries out at seeing each one. I can do lots of things at least ok. It is hard for me to get going but if God leads me I will follow. The problem I face is that it often seems pointless to make a difference, I am trying to fight that attitude but alot of it still remains. I need to see that God will be faithful, if I keep that in mind I can serve better and be more hopefull.
SP the LORD will help you. He is the only one who motivates me, I do things for Him and that helps me

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

songz777

Apr 5, 2004
Devon ~ Plymouth
Visit site
✟31,494.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Part 2

Summary of point 4.

4. Time to do things and go places where you couldn’t when married.

How many times have you heard people say “I wished I had the time to do that, but got a wife / husband and kids to look after”? or “I wished I had done that while I had the chance”? Well guess what?

You have got the chance! The problem could well be motivation to do those things and that’s where the Lord becomes our motivator.

He gives us the power to be happy and strength to be able to things and go places with Him self. He gives us the confidence that we are not alone in the places we go. If we can be happy with His company how much more happy we will be with God and our spouse to be?

There many lovely places to discover and go to that in many cases you would not go if married.

There are hobbies and interests that require time and effort and even training. For example Scuba diving requires a lot of time and not every spouse has a partner that wants to go diving every week.

There are many things you can do that will enrich your life now in the present time. Do not wait until marriage for the hoped for blessing and joy. Enjoy the “now time” not the “next time”.

Share you life with God and invite Him into all you do. Share your hobbies and interests with Him before you share them with a spouse. He loves you and wants to be part of it.

Upvote 0

Evie1980

Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟26,473.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
You have got the chance! The problem could well be motivation to do those things and that’s where the Lord becomes our motivator.

He gives us the power to be happy and strength to be able to things and go places with Him self. He gives us the confidence that we are not alone in the places we go. If we can be happy with His company how much more happy we will be with God and our spouse to be?

What an awesome post John. It is very hard to get motivated and do the things that we want to do. As a single I always have difficulty trying new things. I struggle with confidence yet evey time I set out on my own I always tend to meet someone along the way to share the journey with or at least stop with for a couple of minutes. Today I decided to go out alone shopping and going to the movies. I also went for a coffee and ended up sharing my table with a lovely little old lady and shared the moment with her. It was nice to meet and talk with someone new! She was delightful as all litlle old ladies are.

Yes God enables us to enjoy our time 'alone' and many times I have found that I am not as alone as I think. Some times He provides me with a new friends other times I am alone with Him. Either way He blesses every moment.

Reactions: songz777
Upvote 0

Evie1980

Learning to thrive
Sep 30, 2005
Where the Lord wants me
✟26,473.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I was reading this last night and really just wanted to share -
Psalm 37 v 4 to 7
"Delight yourself in the LORD
and He will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the LORD;
trust in Him and He will do this:
He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn,
the justice of your cause like the noon day sun.
Be still before the LORD and wait paitently for Him..."

Reactions: silentpoet
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Love233

Aug 15, 2007
✟12,182.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Others
there something remarkable about giving too. when you give of yourself, you recieve. like bringing a smile to the face of an elderly person and just giving them a little time means so much. they've lived thier lives and there children grow and often times move far away. they are often lonely but, just a moment of your time can mean the world.... ya I have gone off topic... LOL ^_^ (sorry about that) but, there's were I find so much

Upvote 0

songz777

Apr 5, 2004
Devon ~ Plymouth
Visit site
✟31,494.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Part 2

Summary of point 5.
5. Time to enjoy the relative freedom from financial restrictions.

Lets face it, the money you earn now is basically yours. You may say it all belongs to God, sure this is true but you still have the extra money available to do lots of different things.
Freedom to go on holidays abroad, freedom to buy those luxuries,
freedom pursue some of your hobbies.

When your married you probably want be able to afford so many holidays abroad or buy some of the things you can buy now.

As a single person you only need to “worry” about your needs and not the burden perhaps of the needs of a family and children.

Make the most of being able to spend money and also give money now while you can.

Do those things and buy those things that you will be restricted upon in marriage.

The Lords also wants to use your money for his plans to help others, and the fact remains that you have more to give now than when you are committed to a family in marriage.

God needs your money to be used wisely as well as for your self.

Upvote 0

silentpoet

Contributor
Jun 1, 2004
Arkansas
✟15,957.00
Faith
Nazarene
Politics
US-Others
Actually this is one area where I must act differently. I must now spend/save/give my money in accordance with a plan to be prepared for a wife and kids. It is a part of trusting in God, I need to do what I can to prepare and be ready for God's blessing. If I am to act in faith towards God, I must act according to a long range plan. Now I cannot control all possible outcomes in my life, but I can make choices based on the assumption God will come through in this area.

Upvote 0

songz777

Apr 5, 2004
Devon ~ Plymouth
Visit site
✟31,494.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually this is one area where I must act differently. I must now spend/save/give my money in accordance with a plan to be prepared for a wife and kids. It is a part of trusting in God, I need to do what I can to prepare and be ready for God's blessing. If I am to act in faith towards God, I must act according to a long range plan. Now I cannot control all possible outcomes in my life, but I can make choices based on the assumption God will come through in this area.
Bless you SP I see some good things happening to you. Perhaps this is the start for you. By actualling preparing for the future is acting in faith that you expect God do things for you.

Upvote 0