• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

30 Bishops Implicated in New Scandal

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Fr. Appletree, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Fr. Appletree

Fr. Appletree Priest of The Society of St. Pius V

+383
    United States
    Catholic
    Celibate
    The affidavit implicates more than 30 U.S. and Vatican bishops who were informed of and covered up sexual predation allegations at the NAC.

Summer of Shame 2021

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. BrAndreyu

BrAndreyu Well-Known Member

+1,129
    United States
    Ukr. Grk. Catholic
    Single
    US-Others
    I'm not surprised. The problems in the church with sexual abuse seem to be at the level of the unaccountable bishops and higher. I guess it's time to start the weeding out process and get decent men in there who don't have sexual problems. Will the church do this though, or will it continue to protect these unaccountable bishops and others in the hierarchy? Only time will tell but the laypeople can put pressure on the church to do something by withholding tithes and donations.

3. Fr. Appletree

Fr. Appletree Priest of The Society of St. Pius V

+383
    United States
    Catholic
    Celibate
    In the Pennsylvania Report, there was a case where a father of a victim followed the predator priest around the country, going to each new parish assignment and telling the whole parish what that priest did to his son (and others.) No matter how secretive they were, the father would eventually find him and expose him. It went on for more than aa decade, if I recall correctly.

So, how exactly do you weed when the weeds are treated so?

4. pdudgeon

pdudgeon Traditional Catholic Supporter

+10,982
    United States
    Catholic
    Widowed
    US-Republican
    Sorry, but that's not the way to go about this, because then everyone would be hurt; good and bad alike, as the money that is given would be stretched across the whole church, rather than localized.

5. pdudgeon

+10,982
    United States
    Catholic
    Widowed
    US-Republican
    My suggestion would be to let God handle this in His own time and way.
    Please continue to support your responsible parishes and priests, and pray that we can support them as they are caught between right and wrong.

6. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

+9,137
    Christian

There are plenty of charities to give to. Starve the beast.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. BrAndreyu

+1,129
    United States
    Ukr. Grk. Catholic
    Single
    US-Others
    That's why the laypeople need to put pressure on the unaccountable bishops. CatholicAnswers podcast had a good example of a group that was doing this about something that the Bishop was taking money for (some human development fund that was sketch) and they released press statements about it, withheld their tithes or just donated them directly to St. Vincent de Paul or somewhere else that the Bishop could not get his paws on them, and eventually the Bishop caved and stopped supporting said fund.

Other than the laypeople going directly to/after the Bishops that move these problem priests around, I really have no idea but I do know that money talks with most bishops and withholding money is a great way to put pressure on them to stop supporting certain causes (like Critical Race Theory/BLM/LMNOP+ groups, etc) or getting them to deal with problem priests. Sure, they'll wrend their garments and say "BUT WE'RE SO SHORT ON VOCATIONS!" Too darn bad. Stop protecting men who violate their vows and prey on children; men who should have never been ordained to begin with.

8. chevyontheriver

chevyontheriver Well-Known Member Supporter

+11,407
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-American-Solidarity
    Support the good where you find it.

9. splish- splash

splish- splash Now, here's the deal (by His word). Supporter

+1,189
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Private
    It seems like satan has different plans for them. I'm sure catholic bishops can always opt out though, if they can't do it anymore.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  10. pdudgeon

+10,982
    United States
    Catholic
    Widowed
    US-Republican
    Would you starve Christ?
    Yes, there are weeds in the crop.
    but the fix is to get busy weeding, not spraying the whole crop with weed killer.
    Christ has already shown us what needs to be done, and has Himself set the example to follow:
    For those who need to be removed, remove them, just as Christ cleansed the Temple in His day.
    And for those who have gone astray, bind their feet, and carry them home.
    Watch them, and don't free them until they learn not to wander, and once again become one of the flock.

11. BrAndreyu

+1,129
    United States
    Ukr. Grk. Catholic
    Single
    US-Others
    Bishops are not Christ. There are plenty of other Catholic and Christian charities you can give to that will do actual good work in your community than giving a check to your church that's going to be turned over to some money-grubbing bishop so he can fly to Rome every year and use Grindr while he's there.

You can offer to pay your parish's electrical or water bill directly so that you don't have to turn over a check or cash to some unaccountable Bishop who does not care what the diocese's laity have to say about anything. You can write a check or give cash directly to St. Vincent de Paul or do what I do when I have spare cash: put it in the poor box rather than letting it be collected during the mass.

You cut off the money that the Bishops are getting, that puts pressure on them to do what you want them to do. Then you release a press statement about what is it that they're doing and why you oppose it. Again, Catholic Answers podcast had a whole episode on how the laity can hold liberal and corrupt bishops accountable and they had some great ideas.

12. eastcoast_bsc

eastcoast_bsc Veteran

+9,137
    Christian

Exactly, money talks. We give money to the Bishops and i wonder how much they skim off the top. I can still give. recently as a veteran I have given to the fisher house. They get high charity ratings and do good work .

13. BrAndreyu

+1,129
    United States
    Ukr. Grk. Catholic
    Single
    US-Others
    The Bishop does a "bishop's appeal" in my diocese where churches have to take up a second collection during the mass because apparently he feels like he's not getting enough money to do whatever it is that he wants (going to Rome with his retinue every year being one of the things). I don't have a problem with our bishop persay, I just think he's way too interested in money.