• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Featured 3 Emotional Entities in one God or 3 Persons in one God?

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by Uriah123, Oct 15, 2020 at 1:45 AM.

1. Uriah123

Uriah123 Member

+14
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    The old testament says God is one. A Person usually means a Man or Women (or Eunuch or something along those lines).

Considering the vagueness of Trinitarianism in the Bible it would make more sense to say
    that God has 3 Emotional Entities that make him up. I see it as a pseuodo-cosmic brain that is divided into 3 parts just as a person like you or me has conflicting points of view in our own heads that are all seeking the same goal.

3 Persons in one God would imply 3 People but an emotional entity seems to be the better phrase in my opinion.

The old testament says that "God is One"

Questions or Comments?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+4,329
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    Jesus also said God is one.

The idea that God is one, and that the Holy Spirit, Father, and Jesus are all three distinct persons who are this one God represents something very profound that stands in defiance of the spiritual oneness in the world religion system.

Because Jesus prayed (John 17) may they be one as we are one, this gives a form of unity that gives unity with God, but does not erase your personal identity.

It is common nowadays for oneness spiritualists to say, I am you, and you are me - however, the realization of this statement results in souls being connected to one another sucking energy from one another like financial transactions.

The trinity is the experience of one who is born again by the Holy Spirit.

In terms of God being an emotional entity, the scripture says "God" is spirit so I would disagree with equating emotion to spirit.

3. Uriah123

Uriah123 Member

+14
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    Does the Bible define what a Spirit is? Either i'm missing something or you are. A spirit is definitely and entitiy. Are you claiming a spirit doesn't have emotions making it an entity with out emotions?

4. 1213

1213 Disciple of Jesus

+994
    Christian
    Single
    I think it is best to remain in what Bible says and not add own ideas to it. According to Jesus, there is only one true God, but we can be one with Him. I have understood it means, we have the same will.

This is eternal life, that they should know you, the only true God, and him whom you sent, Jesus Christ.
    John 17:3

that they may all be one; even as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that you sent me.
    John 17:21

5. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+26,888
    Anglican
    Married
    The word "person," as used in the Nicene Creed does not, however, refer to separate individuals...which is the way we most often use it now.

So, in short, there is nothing wrong with Scripture, and nothing wrong with the Creeds, although we have to be alert to the actual meaning of such words.

6. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+4,329
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    Since God is Spirit, we have emotions, and God created us to be like Him and to look like Him - a Spirit such as the Holy Spirit would have emotions. However, a Spirit in essence would not be entirely emotional.

7. Uriah123

Uriah123 Member

+14
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    Thank you for noting that. I agree with you completely. Many People abuse Trinitarianism by misunderstanding the words. I wouldn't be surprised if you disagree with my statement "I agree with you completely".

8. Uriah123

Uriah123 Member

+14
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    I agree.

9. Uriah123

Uriah123 Member

+14
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    See Albion's reply.

10. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+18,918
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    God is not three people, but three Persons.

The three Divine Persons do not "make up God", God is not divided into parts. It is not one God in three parts. It is three Divine Persons.

I'd recommend familiarizing yourself with traditional Trinitarian theology and language.

Some good resources:

The Athanasian Creed:
    Athanasian Creed

The symbol of faith from the 11th Council of Toledo:
    https://sensusfidelium.us/the-sourc...nger/council-of-toledo-xi-675-creed-of-faith/

Credo: Meditations on the Apostles' Creed by Hans Urs von Balthasar:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005XSS86M/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

And of course there is a treasury of information in the writings of the ancient fathers of the Church.

-CryptoLutheran

11. Jesus is YHWH

Jesus is YHWH my Lord and my God ! Supporter

+521
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    God is a Trinity of persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. The Father is not the same person as the Son; the Son is not the same person as the Holy Spirit; and the Holy Spirit is not the same person as Father. They are not three gods and not three beings. They are three distinct persons; yet, they are all the one God. Each has a will, can speak, can love, etc., and these are demonstrations of personhood. They are in absolute perfect harmony consisting of one substance. They are coeternal, coequal, and copowerful. If any one of the three were removed, there would be no God.

Jesus, the Son, is one person with two natures: Divine and Human. This is called the Hypostatic Union. The Holy Spirit is also divine in nature and is self aware, the third person of the Trinity.

The word "person" is used to describe the three "Persons" of the Godhead because the word "person" is appropriate. A person is self aware, can speak, love, hate, say "you," "yours," "me," "mine," etc. The three Persons in the Trinity demonstrate these qualities.

What is so hard to understand about God being Triune? The Father is not the Son. The Son is not the Holy Spirit; and the Holy Spirit is not the Father. God is a Trinity(Tri-Unity) of 3 Persons who are the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. The Trinity is not three gods nor is the Trinity three beings. We call them "Persons" because each one of Them have a will, speak, teach, love, receive praise, prayer, share the same Glory, etc. These are all characteristics of person-hood. They are of one substance, nature, essence or Being. You cannot have the Father without the Son, the Son without the Father, The Son without the Holy Spirit or you would not have the God according to Scripture, you would have a false god or what is known as an idol.

hope this helps,

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020 at 7:46 AM
  12. 1213

1213 Disciple of Jesus

+994
    Christian
    Single
    How do you know that?

13. Uriah123

Uriah123 Member

+14
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    Check out what Albion said.

14. Uriah123

Uriah123 Member

+14
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    Check out what Albion said.

15. Jesus is YHWH

+521
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    any particular reason that you see which differs from what I posted ?

My question to you would be is Jesus a Person ? yes or no

How would you define Jesus as a Person ?

And Jesus is One of the Trinity, so how is His Person different from the Father or the Son ?

If there is no difference(and there is not) then the Father and Holy Spirit are Persons of the Trinity.

FYI- While I agree with and support the Creeds of Christendom, I do not need them to defend the Trinity from Scripture. There are plenty of passages in Both Testaments in which we can come to the conclusion that God is not one Person but is in fact Multi-Personal, the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. I do not need the Creeds to define the meaning of Person since Scripture makes it clear. That was their debate and defense during their day to refute heresy.

Since there are many who do not believe or support the Creeds when making an apologetic defense of the Faith one has to use Scripture to defend the Trinity. So in that case I'm a Biblical Trinitarian to them and when one supports the Creeds then I can be a Creedal Trinitarian which is also biblical.

hope this helps !!!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 8:39 AM
  16. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+26,888
    Anglican
    Married
    The issue here is mainly about the meaning of "person." Every contributor has said something worthwhile when trying to explain the nature of God, but that nature is complex; it's three but it's One, as most of us readily acknowledge.

But in describing it, the word "person" gets used, and the fact is that the meaning is not of an individual being but something closer to "persona." Check out the meaning of that word and it will be made clearer how God can be three but also one.

17. Jesus is YHWH

+521
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Agreed but how do you define Jesus as a Person ?

Since Jesus is one of the Trinity we must begin there wouldn't you agree? if not why not ?

18. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+26,888
    Anglican
    Married
    Sure, but we absolutely cannot say that there is a three-man committee that we call God. That, however, is what saying there are three persons of God signals to the average English-speaking person these days...unless, that is, it is made clear that by the use of the word is meant something else, more like a role assumed by God.

But the most effective way to help anyone who's in doubt is to suggest he go online and check it out; there are quite a few sources which explain it.

If I do that and post the link, however, I know that some reader is going to say "That's a Catholic site; I don't agree with the Catholic Church" or, perhaps, "That's a link that has other information which I disagree with, so what it says about the term persona is not believable." And the last thing we need is a fight about it.

19. Jesus is YHWH

+521
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Agreed !

Its unfortunate many do not take the time to learn church history.

20. Uriah123

Uriah123 Member

+14
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    I fully conform to Biblical Trinitarianism. See what Albian wrote. Do you have a list of Bible chapters that dictate that i deviate from Biblical Trinitarianism. See what Albian wrote.