• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

3 days smoke free

Landon Caeli

Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟561,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, today was my third day without smoking. I'm using Chantix to help keep me sain. Normally I become highly aggressive and extremely violent without cigarettes, and would literally be a danger to society, but the medicine has been helping me quite a bit.

I did have some thoughts about ramming another car on the freeway, which I'll be confessing tomorrow at Church as a venial sin, since it was just a fantasy, but I do have to be careful, because when merging on the freeway, I find myself being without patience for other drivers not letting me in... So I tend to merge not caring if I hit them or not because in my opinion, they should be nice and let other drivers in, and not be selfish.

...So that's my rant for this afternoon. Hopefully things will improve over the coming weeks, as I complete the withdrawal process.

Have a wonderful day,
Landon

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟213,723.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I smoked many years ago. I struggled with believing I ever could stop but I did and as for me it was when I became a Christian I had the ability to do it.

I took the scripture about taking up my cross and following Jesus and pretended in my mind that my longing for cigarettes' was the pain of taking up my cross and never, ever would I throw down my cross. I was going to work through the process one step at a time.... step after step and work through the period of time necessary no matter how long it'd be....and I did. The longing for cigarettes finally left me and I'm been free from it for over 45 years.

I've tried to encourage people who feel they can't quit they tried. I tell them they can and I'll prove it I ask if someone said to you I'm going to give you a million dollars if you quit smoking now would you be able to do it. They say quickly, "Ok course I'd quit. There'd be no question. That would be the last day I had a smoke!" I then tell them that shows you can then right......so it's not about ability....it's about motivation. So all you've got to think is a life without smoke and tar building up in your lungs is WORTH MORE than a million dollars. :)

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟629,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Praying for you.. with you and others.. YES! I remember my Dad smoked for like over 40 years.. quit in one day. Well Nez Perce and fought in WWII and a marine... lol man he was MEAN!

So that desire that is NOT from God its not yours.. has to GO in JESUS NAME!

• Winner
Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟287,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I also quit this week. My last cig was 7/24. I am using nicotein replacement, On packs and a vape currently so you are much more cold turkey than me, but I emphasize w your struggle. I smoked 1-2 packs per day since 9/1997, and the root of it was a deliberate rejection of life. God is dealing with that in me finally. My brother is struggling w a chronic painful illness and thoughts of despair, I have been trying to support and encourage him. But the message God gave me was "why do you say about the speck in your brother's eye when you have a plank in your own - first remove the plank from your own eye then you will be able to see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's".

So, here we are. I am finally, deliberately, choosing life.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟561,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I also quit this week. My last cig was 7/24. I am using nicotein replacement, On packs and a vape currently so you are much more cold turkey than me, but I emphasize w your struggle. I smoked 1-2 packs per day since 9/1997, and the root of it was a deliberate rejection of life. God is dealing with that in me finally. My brother is struggling w a chronic painful illness and thoughts of despair, I have been trying to support and encourage him. But the message God gave me was "why do you say about the speck in your brother's eye when you have a plank in your own - first remove the plank from your own eye then you will be able to see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's".

So, here we are. I am finally, deliberately, choosing life.

Wow, that's about the same as me. I think we started smoking around the same time and about the same amount too... Now we're quitting at about the same time. That's amazing!

<EDIT> Funny too, is that we both became members here in 2016 too. LOL.

• Friendly
Reactions: Petros2015
Upvote 0

JayH1119

Jul 31, 2021
Northeast Pennsylvania
✟8,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can do it.

Just imagine yourself 30 years from now, in a wheelchair, tied to an oxygen tank, dependent on others for most of your basic needs - Nobody wants to be "Old and In the Way" :D

P.S. Love the avatar

• Winner
Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟287,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I feel good.

Me too - there's definitely despondency associated w another trip to the store to get more packs for the day. Don't miss that at all. We opened up a join savings account and are both putting the money we would have spent in there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums