LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well I don't know a single Syrian person who says that about Assad and about 1/4 of my parish are from Syria and most of us are descendants of people from Syria and most of us - I'd say 80% or more - have family in Syria still. I know my family in Syria and from Syria directly all support Assad and say he has been a staunch supporter of Christians throughout Syria.

The other thing that they all tell me is that ISIS and Al Qaeda are the "rebels" and are made up mostly people from other countries like Pakistan, Saudi, Yemen, etc. and they are NOT Syrians rebelling. Assad has his hands full with these terrorists and the US and western countries are supporting the terrorists.

Not to mention that the US backed Turkey, the perpetrators of the Armenian Genocide, including during this conflict when Turkey tried to reignite the Armenian Genocide.

Al-Qaeda Groups From Turkey Attack Kessab | The Armenian Observer
Here's a timeline of news on the topic:

Dec 30, 2012 - Syria rebels 'beheaded a Christian and fed him to the dogs'
Jul 01, 2013 - Catholic Leaders Decry U.S. Arms to Syrian Rebels
Aug 24, 2013 - Christians massacred by ‘Free’ Syrian Army terrorist rebels
Sep 14, 2014 - ISIS Strikes Deal With 'Moderate' Syrian Rebels
Sep 18, 2014 - Obama signs bill to arm and train 'Syrian rebels'
Oct 21, 2014 - U.S. 'accidentally' delivered weapons to the Islamic State by airdrop
May 01, 2015 - President Assad is a ‘good man’, says Syrian archbishop
Oct 02, 2015 - Syrian archbishop rips US support for Islamic rebels
Oct 07, 2015 - Syriac Catholic Church Patriarch decries US policy toward Syria
Feb 18, 2016 - Aleppo bishop says ‘moderate’ Syrian rebels are killing civilians

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,439.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The media ignored the Syrian Christians who consistently said Assad wasn't bad and that he was protecting them from ISIS. You're going to believe who you want to believe. But I believe what the Syrian Christians have been saying about it. I believe the reason the media ignored the Syrian Christian witnesses is because the media is biased against Christianity. But the Christians were sounding the alarm about ISIS before ISIS became a major news topic in the media.
I'm going to believe hospital reports and eye witness accounts. Christians supporting Assad doesn't mean he didn't drop those barrel bombs.

I believe you are taking on a victim role in an attempt to counter documented fact.

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm going to believe hospital reports and eye witness accounts. Christians supporting Assad doesn't mean he didn't drop those barrel bombs.

I believe you are taking on a victim role in an attempt to counter documented fact.
Here's a report on an eyewitness account, a BBC Syria producer

Like you, I'll believe eyewitness accounts also, particularly those of my family and friends who are from there and witnessed some of the terrorist groups attacks, including my brother-in-law's cousins who had to flee Aleppo because US backed Al Qaeda terrorists destroyed their homes and targeted them for being Christians. US will do anything for oil, including use our tax $$$ to support, fund, arm, and train the very terrorists who committed 9/11.

The surprising part and the one that doesn't make sense to me is how any American who claims to be horrified by 9/11 can be supportive of the US government backing the same terrorists who committed the attacks on 9/11.

As for me, I'm staunchly on the side of Bashar al-Assad, which is the side AGAINST Al Qaeda (aka Al Nusra), the "Syrian Free Army" (what a laugh, they are an islamic state terrorist faction) and ISIS.

Here is a report on an eyewitness account from one of the boys in the video who was supposedly one of the "victims" in the gas attack. He details how they just doused him with water and moved him to the 2nd floor and created a fake panic over nothing that he knew of. His father also confirms the boys story and explains how they lured the kids to the hospital with promise of snacks and food. Such vile scum terrorists, those "white helmets":

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And just as evil as ISIS are their enablers. ISIS would have been defeated a lot sooner if they would not have gotten all the help they did from the people who were blindly obsessed with taking out Assad. The ISIS enablers started the war in Syria and kept the bloody thing going. They have blood on their hands from the genocide and global acts of terrorism committed by ISIS. And they did it for oil.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I cannot blame people for supporting Assad but the Assad’s are killers. The Arab Spring debacle is most likely caused by US backed provocateurs but they also had some legitimate discontent to exploit. Years ago there was a horrible massacre in Hama, Syria 1982 Hama massacre - Wikipedia. I knew of this from printed media back when I was in high school in the early 80s.

When the current civil war started to spiral out of control, Jesuit Refugee Services ( JRS) had a relief function in our church hall. We heard testimonies of Red Cross & Red Crescent relief workers being gunned down by all factions (accidently & deliberately).

Assad is kind of like Qaddafi was; no good but the only game in town. Removing Qadaffi destroyed Lybia & Syria has also suffered from the New World Order of evil.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
And just as evil as ISIS are their enablers. ISIS would have been defeated a lot sooner if they would not have gotten all the help they did from the people who were blindly obsessed with taking out Assad. The ISIS enablers started the war in Syria and kept the bloody thing going. They have blood on their hands from the genocide and global acts of terrorism committed by ISIS. And they did it for oil.
The seeds for ISIL/ISIS was the “de-Ba’athification” during Paul Bremmer’s tenure reconstructing Iraq.
With thousands of people suddenly out of work because their Party suddenly became “the bad guys”, the anger was profound and deep.
“Might as well throw in with this new ‘Caliphate!”

Now Obama didn’t help when he stuck to Bush’s timeline for withdrawal of troops, (but by that time the Iraqi’s were demanding that US forces [actual Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines] be subject to Iraqi law). That could not be gotten around before the deadline loomed.

It created a power-vacuum that no self respecting warlord could resist...mix some religious fervor in with that and you have one fine Caliphate!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I cannot blame people for supporting Assad but the Assad’s are killers. The Arab Spring debacle is most likely caused by US backed provocateurs but they also had some legitimate discontent to exploit. Years ago there was a horrible massacre in Hama, Syria 1982 Hama massacre - Wikipedia. I knew of this from printed media back when I was in high school in the early 80s.

When the current civil war started to spiral out of control, Jesuit Refugee Services ( JRS) had a relief function in our church hall. We heard testimonies of Red Cross & Red Crescent relief workers being gunned down by all factions (accidently & deliberately).

Assad is kind of like Qaddafi was; no good but the only game in town. Removing Qadaffi destroyed Lybia & Syria has also suffered from the New World Order of evil.
For one thing, the massacre in Hama was response to terrorists within the nation of Syria who attempted to assassinate the president. His response was certainly heavy handed but he was fighting islamic extremists, something you don't seem equally angry about the US doing wherein we have killed 10's of thousands more civilians.

Beyond that, Bashar al-Assad was 16 at that time - you're blaming him for what his father and uncle did? Weak. I think you're just looking for reasons to hate Syria, honestly. Nothing you say rings true, including your earlier anecdote about the Syrian Christian who purportedly hates Assad.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Assad didn't gas his own people.

Right, he's only been dropping barrel bombs on them.
List of Syrian Civil War barrel bomb attacks - Wikipedia

ISIS faked that story in order to get the U.S. to help them out when they were losing the fight.

Right... There have been 300 chemical weapon employments since the civil war began.
More Than 300 Chemical Attacks Launched During Syrian Civil War, Study Says
You are believing Russian propaganda about a single incident where chemical weapons were used, but they denied them being nerve agents.
Syria 'chemical attack': What we know

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
For one thing, the massacre in Hama was response to terrorists within the nation of Syria who attempted to assassinate the president. His response was certainly heavy handed but he was fighting islamic extremists, something you don't seem equally angry about the US doing wherein we have killed 10's of thousands more civilians.

Beyond that, Bashar al-Assad was 16 at that time - you're blaming him for what his father and uncle did? Weak. I think you're just looking for reasons to hate Syria, honestly. Nothing you say rings true, including your earlier anecdote about the Syrian Christian who purportedly hates Assad.

I have not said that I hate Syrian Christians, my paternal grandparents, were. My father was Syrian American of 100% Syrian ancestry. I pointed out that Syrian people in my church did not like the Assad dictatorships but did not support the rebel factions either. There were Syrian Christians arrested during the Arab Spring protests also (which I believe was instigated by western agents just like in Egypt, Lybia etc.)Yes, I know the current Assad’s father killed thousands in Hama (like father like son). I have stated that in my secular politics I believe in nationalism & isolationism & oppose interventionism and believe in giving humanitarian aid.

I guess one must worship your St. Assad to gain “credibility.”

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I have not said that I hate Syrian Christians, my paternal grandparents, were. My father was Syrian American of 100% Syrian ancestry. I pointed out that Syrian people in my church did not like the Assad dictatorships but did not support the rebel factions either. There were Syrian Christians arrested during the Arab Spring protests also (which I believe was instigated by western agents just like in Egypt, Lybia etc.)Yes, I know the current Assad’s father killed thousands in Hama (like father like son). I have stated that in my secular politics I believe in nationalism & isolationism & oppose interventionism and believe in giving humanitarian aid.

I guess one must worship your St. Assad to gain “credibility.”
I apologize for being so heavy handed in my responses. I know that there are Syrian Christians who do not like Assad but prefer him anyway to the rebels (terrorists). I don't disagree with you there. But they are a smaller group. Most of the ones I know who are in that group are Assyrian Syrians, but certainly there are Syrians who feel that way also.

However, even they do not seem to characterize Assad as an "evil" man who kills his own people, in my experience. Most Christian Syrians I know are either Armenian (obviously) or Syrian Catholics. Also, Armenian Catholics from Syria (like my brother-in-law from Aleppo).

I will leave it at that I disagree with you but I do apologize if I was trying to make it look like you are lying or anything like that - that was not my intent but reading back some of my earlier posts it may have looked that way. I should not have been so accusatory even if I didn't intend it - I should have been more careful how I said anything.

With that, I can't go along with your assertions about Bashar being "like father, like son" and holding him responsible for the actions of his father and uncle before him. Furthermore, I don't even hold them to be evil despite how heavy handed they were. I would feel hypocritical when I am an American and my country is far more heavy handed in dealing with terrorists in other countries than the Assads were in dealing with terrorists in their own country (and ones who tried to take their lives through assassination).

Thanks for your input though; even if I disagree, I accept your viewpoint based on your own experience.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,677.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I apologize for being so heavy handed in my responses. I know that there are Syrian Christians who do not like Assad but prefer him anyway to the rebels (terrorists). I don't disagree with you there. But they are a smaller group. Most of the ones I know who are in that group are Assyrian Syrians, but certainly there are Syrians who feel that way also.

However, even they do not seem to characterize Assad as an "evil" man who kills his own people, in my experience. Most Christian Syrians I know are either Armenian (obviously) or Syrian Catholics. Also, Armenian Catholics from Syria (like my brother-in-law from Aleppo).

I will leave it at that I disagree with you but I do apologize if I was trying to make it look like you are lying or anything like that - that was not my intent but reading back some of my earlier posts it may have looked that way. I should not have been so accusatory even if I didn't intend it - I should have been more careful how I said anything.

With that, I can't go along with your assertions about Bashar being "like father, like son" and holding him responsible for the actions of his father and uncle before him. Furthermore, I don't even hold them to be evil despite how heavy handed they were. I would feel hypocritical when I am an American and my country is far more heavy handed in dealing with terrorists in other countries than the Assads were in dealing with terrorists in their own country (and ones who tried to take their lives through assassination).

Thanks for your input though; even if I disagree, I accept your viewpoint based on your own experience.

Forgive me also, I hope I did not appear caustic it was not my intent. It is Holy Lent so forgive me a sinner.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Forgive me also, I hope I did not appear caustic it was not my intent. It is Holy Lent so forgive me a sinner.
No, not caustic at all! All is good brother! :) Nothing to forgive you for!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LivingWordUnity

May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Oct 21, 2014 - U.S. 'accidentally' delivered weapons to ISIS by airdrop

"Where Secretary Clinton and I think, I agree with most of what she said. But where I think we do have an honest disagreement, is that in the incredible quagmire of Syria, where it's hard to know who's fighting who and if you give arms to this guy, it may end up in ISIS' hand the next day. We all know that."
-
Bernie Sanders (Jan 2016)

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Oct 21, 2014 - U.S. 'accidentally' delivered weapons to ISIS by airdrop

"Where Secretary Clinton and I think, I agree with most of what she said. But where I think we do have an honest disagreement, is that in the incredible quagmire of Syria, where it's hard to know who's fighting who and if you give arms to this guy, it may end up in ISIS' hand the next day. We all know that."
-
Bernie Sanders (Jan 2016)

Well, if we support Assad, at least we won't have to worry about that.

Upvote 0