bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Eschatology Matters

2Tim 2:17,18
Their teaching will spread like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus, who have wandered away from the truth. They say that the resurrection has already taken place, and they destroy the faith of some.

"Gangrene" is much like cancer, and so translations will often translate this "cancer". But gangrene is more visible. In either case the illustration is clear. And indeed the history of Christianity has shown, even in the book of Acts, that false teaches can spread quickly and destroy the faith of some. For example in Acts there was the cancer of the Circumcision which grew right out of the church of Jerusalem. Peter, James and John simply overlooked the fact that there was a cancer growing in their church and was spreading abroad. But when it spread to Galatia, Paul was outraged that such a thing had not been nipped in the butt from its inception and so went to Jerusalem to deal with this issue personally. Through that encounter and through his writing of the book of Galatians (the book that also inspired the inception of the Protestant Reformation, removing the visible church from the cancer of Catholicism which had grown corrupt at the time), the heresy of the Judaizers no longer posed a significant threat for the last two millennia. Consequently I would argue that heresy should not simply be avoided, it should be opposed, as Paul also said, "We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." 2Cor 10:5

Now in particular here these men, Hymenaeus and Philetus, propose that the resurrection has already taken place. This kind of reminds one of "date setters" concerning the return of Christ. Indeed there are those today who claim that the second coming has already occurred. This is usually the result of them setting a date for Christ's return. The date comes and goes. Nothing happens so they claim that something "invisible" actually did happen. Likewise the claim of the resurrection have already occurred is not uncommon. Today there are those who claim a viewpoint they refer to as "Full Preterism" in which the Coming (Parousia), resurrection, rapture, day of the Lord and day of judgement all occurred in AD 70. I would argue they fit into the same category as Hymenaeus and Philetus.

Jesus said, "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority." Acts 1:7 So I tell you, fellow Christians, STOP WITH THE DATE SETTING!

To be noted, Paul is making a big deal about and area of theology referred to as "eschatology" - a theology of the end times. Many today tend to treat issues of eschatology as peripheral, non-essential issues. Yet, for example, if you read Paul's two letters to the Thessalonians he makes a big deal about such things.

"Concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered to him, we ask you, brothers, not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by some prophecy, report or letter supposed to have come from us, saying that the day of the Lord has already come. Don’t let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the man doomed to destruction. He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God’s temple, proclaiming himself to be God. Don’t you remember that when I was with you I used to tell you these things?" 2Th 2:1-5

or this:

"Brothers, we do not want you to be ignorant about those who fall asleep, or to grieve like the rest of men, who have no hope. We believe that Jesus died and rose again and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him. According to the Lord’s own word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left till the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever." 1Th 4:13-17

Here we see the whole of the resurrection of the righteous includes the Rapture, which shortly follows the resurrection of the righteous who had died. And in 1Cor 15 he further speaks on the nature and timing of the resurrection, including the Rapture.

Therefore, as divisive as it may seem, there are certain views of eschatology which should not be tolerated. Paul says, "I stand on trial because of my hope in the resurrection of the dead." Acts 23:6 But if such resurrection (including the Rapture) had already occurred, and one missed out on it, there is no hope offered in the gospel.