2Thess 3:7-10 Work to free others up

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Work to free others up

2Thess 3:7-10 For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example. We were not idle when we were with you, nor did we eat anyone’s food without paying for it. On the contrary, we worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden to any of you. We did this, not because we do not have the right to such help, but in order to make ourselves a model for you to follow. For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

Now it is true that "the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel." 1Cor 9:14 This is their legitimate entitlement. But Paul says, "I have not used any of these rights." 1Cor 9:15 While there were those who did get paid for ministry as Jesus allowed, there were also those who ministered just for financial gain. But Paul took no financial profit from his ministry. He says, "Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit." 2Cor 2:17 In fact he instructs the Ephesian elders saying, "I have not coveted anyone’s silver or gold or clothing. You yourselves know that these hands of mine have supplied my own needs and the needs of my companions. In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’" Acts 20:33-35

It is an act of generosity to not require payment for one's ministry. And better yet is to do Christian ministry free of charge while also working at a secular job in order not only to supply your own needs, but those of others. And by not unnecessarily burdening other Christians with one's financial needs, you also free up their resources to practice generosity to the truly needy. Though not all have an opportunity to do so. But in fact Paul viewed that scenario as what should have been the norm. And so he lived it out as an example to follow.

From his writings in his two letters it appears that much as the Thessalonians were enthusiastic with regards to the Christian life, they were prone to laziness with regards to secular matters. So don't let your flesh mislead you into thinking your spirituality can be an excuse for laziness.

Now as for "If a man will not work", it does not mean "If a man does not work". "will" is the greek word "thelo" which speaks of intention. There are those who do not work because they cannot work, whether because of opportunity or ability. These are not the people he is referring to. But there are those who are simply lazy and refuse to work. I remember taking in a homeless man and urged him to find a job. He got a job driving a taxi. It lasted one day. He left it because he was bored. Work can be hard. And contrary to the world's philosophy, it is not the objective to demand that we feel "fulfilled" with our jobs. Work can be hard, that's why it's called "work". Paul spoke of "laboring" night and day. Just because it may not be fun, it's no excuse not to work.

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources