28 people hurt in Arkansas shooting; it's the 4th largest U.S. mass shooting since 2013

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
(CNN)Twenty-eight people were wounded early Saturday as gunfire rang out during a concert at a nightclub in Little Rock, Arkansas, police said.

All but three were shot and the others suffered related injuries at the Power Ultra Lounge in the Arkansas capital.

Two people are listed in critical condition, Police Chief Kenton Buckner said Saturday afternoon, and the others had non-life-threatening injuries. Victims ranged in age from 16 to 35, he said.

Full article: Little Rock club shooting: 28 people hurt, police say - CNN.com

By the FBI's definition of a mass shooting (four or more shooting victims, excluding the shooter, in the same incident) this is the third mass shooting in Little Rock in as many years, and constitutes the fourth largest mass shooting in the United States since 2013.

Club Shooting Ranks as 4th Largest U.S. Mass Shooting Since 2013

The day before the mass shooting in Arkansas, there was a mass shooting at a Bronx hospital that killed a doctor and wounded six.

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Motherofkittens

Jan 20, 2017
iowa
✟50,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes we can be safer and do better, and life is so precious.
It doesn't have to be this way! It makes me so sick that people are needlessly dying. I'm not for banning all guns (although I'm not horrified at the idea). I just want reasonable regulations. It definitely should be harder to buy a gun than a car.

• Agree
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
It doesn't have to be this way! It makes me so sick that people are needlessly dying. I'm not for banning all guns (although I'm not horrified at the idea). I just want reasonable regulations. It definitely should be harder to buy a gun than a car.

Yes ma'am, I agree with you there. My family has owned guns going back for generations now, but we're all for some reasonable regulations, safety laws.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I agree with the sentiment that some reasonable regulations are a good idea. I've long been a fan of the Czech Republic gun culture. Where one can still obtain handguns, shotguns, AR15's, etc..., and still obtain a CCW permit through a reasonable procedure (roughly the same percentage of their population as CCW permits compared to us 2-3%). However, their murder rate is only 0.7 (one of the lowest in Europe).

However, I think I'd disagree with your gun/car example.

The only thing that makes obtaining a car more difficult is having to deal with the awful car dealership cartel :)

Auto accidents account for over 35,000 deaths and over 3.5 million injuries every year and the only requirement in order to be able to get out on the road is passing a test that most 16 year olds can pass on their first try.

Maybe that's the strategy to go with...start making gun dealerships like car dealerships.
You spend 4 hours down at "Bill Simmons Glock" haggling over price while they try to get you to buy an extended barrel warranty and get you to pay and extra $49 for undercoating on the trigger assembly.

Kidding aside, I think the Czech Republic model is the way to go for the US and I'm disappointed that it never gets brought up in national discussions. You have the Ted Nugents on one side that imply that any restriction at all is a slippery slope to tyranny, and many on the other side insisting that we should try to mimic UK/Aus which doesn't translate well because those countries didn't have the same kind of gun culture we have (not to mention, their gun legislation didn't really do anything...their murder rate was just as low before their gun restrictions). If you have a gun culture (which we do), it's better to evaluate other countries that also have a gun culture that have successfully made it safe while still preserving expansive gun rights for their citizens (which the Czech Republic has).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Motherofkittens

Jan 20, 2017
iowa
✟50,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I agree with the sentiment that some reasonable regulations are a good idea. I've long been a fan of the Czech Republic gun culture. Where one can still obtain handguns, shotguns, AR15's, etc..., and still obtain a CCW permit through a reasonable procedure (roughly the same percentage of their population as CCW permits compared to us 2-3%). However, their murder rate is only 0.7 (one of the lowest in Europe).

However, I think I'd disagree with your gun/car example.

The only thing that makes obtaining a car more difficult is having to deal with the awful car dealership cartel :)

Auto accidents account for over 35,000 deaths and over 3.5 million injuries every year and the only requirement in order to be able to get out on the road is passing a test that most 16 year olds can pass on their first try.

Maybe that's the strategy to go with...start making gun dealerships like car dealerships.
You spend 4 hours down at "Bill Simmons Glock" haggling over price while they try to get you to buy an extended barrel warranty and get you to pay and extra $49 for undercoating on the trigger assembly.

Kidding aside, I think the Czech Republic model is the way to go for the US and I'm disappointed that it never gets brought up in national discussions. You have the Ted Nugents on one side that imply that any restriction at all is a slippery slope to tyranny, and many on the other side insisting that we should try to mimic UK/Aus which doesn't translate well because those countries didn't have the same kind of gun culture we have (not to mention, their gun legislation didn't really do anything...their murder rate was just as low before their gun restrictions). If you have a gun culture (which we do), it's better to evaluate other countries that also have a gun culture that have successfully made it safe while still preserving expansive gun rights for their citizens (which the Czech Republic has).
Thanks for the information about the Czech Republic. I didn't know about it. It's a great idea to look to other countries when their doing something well.

Upvote 0